Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2019, 11:36 PM   #1
unze
Registered Member

Coral exports indonesia

Any updates on coral exports from Indonesia? Seems like its a permanent ban.

unze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2019, 09:00 PM   #2
1claire
Registered Member

I feel like you can try to look for an alternative seller nearby, why does it need to be from Indonesia?

1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 10:43 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would think by now alternatives would have filled the void.
But all that comes in on corals is from Australia (highly regulated and expensive) and Tonga.
So I would think there are not many other sources that allow the collection and export of corals these days.
On the other hand, fish, inverts, and anemones are still coming in from many places:
Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Djibouti, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines, Marshal Islands, Solomon Islands, Fiji,...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Amoore311
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
I feel like you can try to look for an alternative seller nearby, why does it need to be from Indonesia?
Look for an alternative seller nearby? 80+% of the hobbies corals were collected in Indonesia lol...

Australia is really the only option which is why $10/head euphyllia is are now $50-60+/head euphyllia.

100 Gallon Custom Rimless Mixed Reef 2012-2014
29 Gallon Biocube Reef! Current

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Biocube, StevesLED Upgrade, Neptune Apex
Amoore311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 08:04 AM   #5
GTR
Registered Member

We brought in only documented cultured coral from Indo and fragged it further. That was our customers requirement, nothing wild imported and then chopped up. It was all soft coral and obvious it was grown on concrete plugs, not cut, glued and shipped. That supply has not been replaced by other sources.
The ban costs us about 20k/month in gross.

Unread 07/07/2019, 03:44 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
We brought in only documented cultured coral from Indo and fragged it further. That was our customers requirement, nothing wild imported and then chopped up. It was all soft coral and obvious it was grown on concrete plugs, not cut, glued and shipped. That supply has not been replaced by other sources.
The ban costs us about 20k/month in gross.
An LFS told me that it is quite common that Indonesian "coral farms" would harvest frags from wild corals, glue them to concrete plugs, "culture" them just long enough to encrust, and then ship them.
And honestly, that's pretty much the only way to offer "farmed" corals at the prices they charge.
Or do you seriously think they have so many mother colonies that they can cut thousands of frags from them to satisfy the worldwide demand?
So, in the end, the only difference is really where the chopping happens...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 07/08/2019, 02:12 AM   #7
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Sorry, but if you see the farms in Indonesia you would not make this statement. They literally have tens of thousands of mini-colonies, just about twice to three times the size of an average Indo frag. Those get split regularly, a few go into sale, the others into growout. That is actually cheaper and less labor intensive than clipping small pieces from large wild colonies. Even with labor as cheap as in Indonesia, it all boils down to the question how can you mass produce frags with the least amount of work.

Jens Kallmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2019, 04:38 PM   #8
suta4242
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
An LFS told me that it is quite common that Indonesian "coral farms" would harvest frags from wild corals, glue them to concrete plugs, "culture" them just long enough to encrust, and then ship them....
Interesting. Some local collectors (not all) are doing the same thing. Don’t think they’re marketing them as aquacultured per se but when you see an acro frag on a plug it’s easy to make that assumption I guess.

Their reasoning:

Quote:
do you seriously think they have so many mother colonies that they can cut thousands of frags from them to satisfy the worldwide demand?

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 02:08 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Kallmeyer View Post
Sorry, but if you see the farms in Indonesia you would not make this statement. They literally have tens of thousands of mini-colonies, just about twice to three times the size of an average Indo frag. Those get split regularly, a few go into sale, the others into growout. That is actually cheaper and less labor intensive than clipping small pieces from large wild colonies. Even with labor as cheap as in Indonesia, it all boils down to the question how can you mass produce frags with the least amount of work.
I'm not disputing that, but I have never seen such small imported frags in the trade here. Whatever reaches the stores here are reasonably large (between golf to tennis ball sized) "maricultured" corals ("grown out" in the ocean as evident by the quite frequent hitchhiker and symbiotic crabs) which the local stores then often cut down to small frags.
The small frags in the trade here come exclusively from local reefers, US coral farms like ORA, or are fragged from maricultured or wild collected corals by the local stores.

Unread 07/09/2019, 02:23 PM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suta4242 View Post
Interesting. Some local collectors (not all) are doing the same thing. Don’t think they’re marketing them as aquacultured per se but when you see an acro frag on a plug it’s easy to make that assumption I guess.

Their reasoning:
I would think the parrot fish swarms on the Australian reefs eat more coral tips in a day than all collectors of Australia could collect in a year. And it has been shown that cutting tips of healthy corals stimulates their growth. So I think there is nothing on the environmental or ethical side that speaks against this form of frag collection.
It also adds more diversity to the coral gene pool in captivity.

Unread 07/09/2019, 10:13 PM   #11
suta4242
Registered Member

Absolutely. Our fishery is strictly monitored. I think Charles veron said some years ago that our coral collection had the same impact as a bicycle ridden on roads around the whole country.

Much more damage is done by cyclones than collectors gathering stock.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 04:37 AM   #12
GTR
Registered Member

I've seen corals come in as aquacultured/maricultured larger than a softball.
That could still be true but when you open the bags and the smell is overwhelmingly fresh 2-part epoxy and not acro it's obvious what was happening.

Unread 10/10/2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

It won’t be open for a long time. Basically the whole process of CITES is being reviewed and redone because putting an acanthophyllia on a concrete disc does not qualify for mariculture. This is the stuff that needed to stop. I worked wholesale for 6 years and some of the stuff that passed through the CITES was ridiculous. I could pop off wellsos from their disc with no problem.. I’ve seen the disc separated from the coral in the bag lol. There is not enough documentation and information to properly conclude if Mariculturing is sustainable. In order to prove it to the Indo government that is.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2019, 05:44 AM   #14
GTR
Registered Member

Alex,
I saw acro colonies bigger than a softball come in on fresh concrete.
You could smell the 2-part epoxy used to attach them over the normal smell of the coral. lol

Unread 10/11/2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Habib
CEO of Salifert

https://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/...nesian-corals/

https://oceangardener.org/

"Ice cream, steaks, and Bailey's Irish Cream all help promote healthy immune systems. Why else would I love to naturally eat them packed with fat as they are?" - R. Holmes-Farley, 2012
Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 12:16 PM   #16
five.five-six
Registered Member

Nice find

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2019, 05:06 PM   #17
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Some will start saying "don't hurt those corals... they have feelings".

Unread 11/16/2019, 08:42 AM   #18
GTR
Registered Member

This might work.
Link using Google Translate

https://translate.google.com/transla...it-karang-hias