Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2012, 10:13 PM   #201
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Maybe I missed this in skimming the thread before, but is that overflow box set up for a BeanAnimal?
Its not what was originally planned and I don't think its 100% a beananimal but tge guy that did my plumbing install said its very close to it.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 03:41 PM   #202
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Steve, just made it to the computer and looks good! I'm patiently awaiting my system to fill up too....I've still got at least another day to go before my system is full of full RO/DI!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 04:03 PM   #203
SPotter
Registered Member

I finally got enough water in it around noon today but havent flipped the switch yet because we had to go out and I didn't want to turn it on and leave. I should be home soon.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 03/04/2012, 05:25 PM   #204
nightOwl
Premium Member

Looking good Steve....I am finally back in town so now I can get going again. I see "you" were able to get the plumbing done. That flexible PVC makes plumbing so easy!

Unread 03/04/2012, 06:00 PM   #205
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Looking good Steve....I am finally back in town so now I can get going again. I see "you" were able to get the plumbing done. That flexible PVC makes plumbing so easy!
Yeah it was a messy job...I got some ink on my hands when I wrote out the check

Unread 03/04/2012, 09:14 PM   #206
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Yeah you're 2 elbows, one tee, and one cap with a john guest fitting away from a BeanAnimal overflow. You could add it anytime and quite honestly I wouldn't hesitate. The only thing you would want to change is the location of the gate valve - as close to the sump as possible...

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 09:03 AM   #207
SPotter
Registered Member

Finally.....flipped the switch and watched the water flow

I finally had enough water around 7pm last night to turn the pump on and get things started! I checked everything before turning the pump except for one thing....the loc-lines with penductors in the tank. Unfortunately they were angled up a little bit and all of the ball valves were wide open. Needless to say the pump didnt stay on very long as water shot 10ft across the room onto the brand new hardwood floor and brand new couch Thank god my wife wasnt down there when this all happened. After a 30 min cleanup delay I was able to get back to getting this running. Once the water got flowing the drains were very noisy so I made some adjustments to the height of the pipes and added a double elbow to the drain with the gate valve and then dialed that back to the point where the only thing you hear in my fish room is the durso drain on my 80.

plumbing 3.jpg

plumbing 4.jpg

Water temp was 66 degrees at start up but by this morning the 1000w heater had it up 78 degrees so I will start adding salt tonight. I will try to take a video of the whole set up later on and post it.

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:42 PM   #208
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Looks great Steve. Your not supposed to shoot the water across the room that you just 'patiently' waited on

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 03/05/2012, 01:04 PM   #209
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Looks great Steve. Your not supposed to shoot the water across the room that you just 'patiently' waited on
It was like slow motion!!

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:22 PM   #210
troyholl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I finally had enough water around 7pm last night to turn the pump on and get things started! I checked everything before turning the pump except for one thing....the loc-lines with penductors in the tank. Unfortunately they were angled up a little bit and all of the ball valves were wide open. Needless to say the pump didnt stay on very long as water shot 10ft across the room onto the brand new hardwood floor and brand new couch Thank god my wife wasnt down there when this all happened. After a 30 min cleanup delay I was able to get back to getting this running. Once the water got flowing the drains were very noisy so I made some adjustments to the height of the pipes and added a double elbow to the drain with the gate valve and then dialed that back to the point where the only thing you hear in my fish room is the durso drain on my 80.

Attachment 180529

Attachment 180530

Water temp was 66 degrees at start up but by this morning the 1000w heater had it up 78 degrees so I will start adding salt tonight. I will try to take a video of the whole set up later on and post it.

I think having one major water leak is a requirement of any new build isn't it?

troyholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 09:26 PM   #211
SPotter
Registered Member

oh man it definitely is but this was too soon into the build.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:04 AM   #212
SPotter
Registered Member

OK, salt is where it needs to be and now its time for the shrimp!!!! Suggestions on how much and does it matter where I put it? I was thinking about putting it in the sump just because it will be easier for me to remove once it has done its job.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:09 AM   #213
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Location should not matter honestly as long as it has good flow. I'd just make sure and put them in a filter sock/media bag so you don't have dead shrimp floating around the system. I've not used the method before but seen plenty do it.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:17 AM   #214
SPotter
Registered Member

yeah this is my first time doing. I have usually bought a bag of the carib-sea alive substrate and has worked like a charm. I was thinking I could put the shrimp in one of my filter socks in the sump where it will get a lot of flow.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:45 AM   #215
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I have 6-7 inches of live sand bed in fuge but I'm still going to throw some shrimp in my filter sock so I'm sure that I'm not getting Ammonia registered on the test kits. I did not test the refugium with test kits but I'll start testing Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate daily after tonight. Not worried about any of the parameters at this point.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:45 AM   #216
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I had excellent results by dosing ammonia, used the janitorial strength stuff from Ace Hardware, which has no surfactants. I cycled a 225 FW tank in 2 weeks by doing that, granted I somewhat seeded the tank with a handful of ceramic bio-media from another tank, but still it was pretty quick and effective. I think I was dosing 1/4 cup per day to keep ammonia between 1.0 and 4.0 ppm.

Unread 03/07/2012, 08:52 AM   #217
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I had excellent results by dosing ammonia, used the janitorial strength stuff from Ace Hardware, which has no surfactants. I cycled a 225 FW tank in 2 weeks by doing that, granted I somewhat seeded the tank with a handful of ceramic bio-media from another tank, but still it was pretty quick and effective. I think I was dosing 1/4 cup per day to keep ammonia between 1.0 and 4.0 ppm.
Seriously? how did you think of doing that? You are one creative person!!!!

Unread 03/07/2012, 09:02 AM   #218
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

People have been doing it that way for years. Google "ammonia surfactants" and you'll find threads all over the place where people panic because they used the wrong ammonia and had to tear down their tank and scrub it down. You'll find a few threads of mine in there as well.

Just to cover all of that, all soaps are surfactants. Not all surfactants are soaps. Surfactants cause a liquid to spread out, basically breaking the surface tension. Think of a drop of water on glass, it beads up. Surfactants reduce this effect.

If you buy the Target or Wal-Mart brand of ammonia, it will say "pure ammonia" or something like that, then the label will list "surfactant". When you shake that stuff up, it will get a little foamy at the top but the bubbles will break right away. This is not a soap-based surfactant and is generally safe to use (and I did, at first). Find another bottle and shake it up and if it stays foamy at the top, like you would expect would happen if you shake soapy water in a bottle, then that stuff will ruin everything in your tank, and you will have to throw out all decor and plumbing, and bleach the tank down. Don't use that stuff

The Ace Hardware brand is slightly more expensive but is also 2x the strength and does not list surfactant as an ingredient, so you can be assured that it is 100% safe. I would not buy anything but that stuff. Seed your tank with bio-media, dose about 1/8 cup and test it an hour later. Keep dosing until you get your ammonia above 1.0ppm and keep in there, but don't go over 4ppm or the biological process can stop. I tried to keep it right around 1.0 or maybe 2.0, testing before and after dosing and keeping a log book.

Unread 03/07/2012, 10:31 AM   #219
SPotter
Registered Member

now this will sound stupid but then how do you remove the ammonia after the cycle or does it just fade away? I was horrible in chemistry...numbers I am a whiz with but stuff like this makes my eyes cross sometimes.

Unread 03/07/2012, 11:13 AM   #220
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

The cycle will begin and turn ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. You then do water changes to remove Nitrate in a traditional sense. Once cycle is complete you should never pick up ammonia on your test kits and should not need to test for it.

Floyd, how long do you keep the ammonia between 1-4 ppm? I'm going to grab some of this ammonia at Ace on lunch if the store by my work carries it Need an excuse to leave the office too!

Last edited by Dustin1300; 03/07/2012 at 11:25 AM.
Unread 03/07/2012, 11:23 AM   #221
SPotter
Registered Member

i told you it was a stupid question I wasn't sure if it just disappeared with the cycle or something you needed to filter out manually. Just part of the process.

Unread 03/07/2012, 11:31 AM   #222
SPotter
Registered Member

next stupid question....how many shrimp? 1/2 lb, whole lb or should i just get a small dead lobster????

Unread 03/07/2012, 11:45 AM   #223
allsps40
Registered Member

Just add 2 dead uncooked/raw shrimp to a media bag and put it in the sump. After a few days start to test for ammonia ect. Once you have a good amount of ammonia in the system remove the shrimp and let the tank cycle. Nice looking build I will be following along.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 12:06 PM   #224
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Looking good buddy!! Any new in regards of the lighting fixure?
BTW, i am finalizing my drawing for my new tank now and i would like to see your overflow box. how hight you have teeth and water level in the tank?

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 12:55 PM   #225
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
next stupid question....how many shrimp? 1/2 lb, whole lb or should i just get a small dead lobster????
Floyd sparked my mind on the ammonia and I decided to go pick it up. I've seen that method used often and makes the most sense as it won't have any by products. You have better control of how much ammonia is going in too rather than just waiting for die off from the shrimp. I'll likely start dosing the ammonia tomorrow. Let's see who cycles first? RACE! (The part of the system I'm bringing up is 311 gallons...we're close)