Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2016, 12:05 PM   #51
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

Greetings

Hello all,

This is my first post. I am lucky to have found the motherload of info here at Reef Central. A HUGE, giga if you will, Thanks to GIGA for starting this thread. I came here looking for help and advice with a brackish red mangrove setup.

The tank has been established for just over a month. Only contains substrate, mangroves, bubblers, CO2 feed etc...no fish or bivalves. Salinity is a steady 1.005 and the Koval light/some afternoon natural light is doing the job, I think.

My main question is about getting stilt and pneumatophore roots to develop. Seems to happen naturally, when there is tidal current and dense sand. Is is possible in a tank? I could be completely wrong, that's why I came here @_@

Second question, should I plant the roots into the substrate? Seems dumb to even ask but will the roots work their way down naturally? Am I harming the trees?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13300000.jpg (40.3 KB, 166 views)
iiiTRiBEiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2016, 11:25 AM   #52
saltwater sam
Registered Member

They must be planted in substrate. Stilt roots develop after 3 years of healthy growth.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2016, 10:03 PM   #53
Dirtball
Registered Member

What is the best light for them

Current Tank Info: 24 gallon aquapod just getting started.
Dirtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 01:34 PM   #54
accordexi
Registered Member

Is it worth putting in 2 or 3 of those for a 60 gallon ? I have an compartment in my sump that I can turn into a refugium.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/20/2017, 04:41 AM   #55
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordexi View Post
Is it worth putting in 2 or 3 of those for a 60 gallon ? I have an compartment in my sump that I can turn into a refugium.
Mangroves are not good exporters of nitrates or phosphates. They grow way too slow to be worth the effort if you are looking for that kind of help. Just find a good macro algae like Chaeto.

We find mangrove propagules on the beach and I regularly bring a few home and grow them out. But strictly because I can and they are free. They do next to nothing for the tank. I wouldn't pay a dollar per propagule to have them.

Unread 05/03/2017, 02:45 AM   #56
wmah
Registered Member

Hi thanks for this thread was looking for information like this! So i have some mangroves pods coming in and I was wondering what's the recommended substrate to use (you mentioned sand, soil, or silt in the OP) Some forums have recommended aragonite sand, mineral mud, or even mixes of the two. what type of substrate do you successful mangrove growers use?

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2017, 04:59 AM   #57
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have 2 mangroves in the overflow of my frag tank for 6 months now and they are doing just fine with bare roots! I have one in my shallow reef tank and it has put roots into the sand. I had one tied up on the back glass about 6" off the sand and it grew roots down into the sand and looked like the typical proproot mangrove we see at the shore.

The red mangrove is very adaptive and will grow in just about anything. I assume (I know, a bad thing) that the better the soil, the better it will grow. But to be honest, unless you have a high mounted grow light, you may not want your mangrove to grow too fast. I let mine grow until the reach the light fixture and then start over. But then I get free mangrove propagules off the beach.

Unread 03/16/2018, 10:19 AM   #58
divad
Registered Member

Wow! Plethora of information! Thank you so much for sharing.

Do you have any experience with tea mangroves?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2020, 03:38 PM   #59
sEaLiFe4LiFe
Registered Member

Hey peeps came hear for the reasons as many lol BIG THANK YOU to Giga for the knowledge. I have a 150g DT recently re established with 40g sump where I’ll be adding my red mangroves. Luckily I live in Florida so my mangroves are also free lol �� I was at the beach in Jupiter and walked around the lagoon and picked up about 50. For now I have them in a Home Depot bucket with fresh water. Since I was worried about nítrate for growth I’ve added a bunch of leaves and decomposing leaves to help. My tank has been running for about a a little over a week now with 3” substrate and plenum setup and dry rock. I will be leaving the mangroves in the bucket maybe for months till roots start to grow and then slowly acclimate them to salt. All in all am I doing this right? Lol any help would be appreciated.

sEaLiFe4LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote