Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Kyel
Registered Member

Dry rock

What is the best dry rock to get for a reef tank and where is the best place to get it. I'm new to saltwater so any advice is appreciated

Kyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Reefpuck
Registered Member

This is what I got on Amazon. Most LFS out there sell the same dry rock for about $3/lb...so much cheaper online.

Link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8DVAO4...a-348697801173

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Kyel
Registered Member

Thank You

Kyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 08:58 PM   #4
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
This is what I got on Amazon. Most LFS out there sell the same dry rock for about $3/lb...so much cheaper online.

Link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8DVAO4...a-348697801173
$1 a pound is pretty cheap lol. I don't think I have ever seen it cheaper than that.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:11 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Advantage at the LFS is you get to pick your pieces. You can even try building some structures at most places.

Unread 12/11/2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The best dry rock to get is something very porous like pukani to provide the most surface area for bacteria to colonize. Bulk Reef Supply is one of many places you can purchase some.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:27 AM   #7
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
The best dry rock to get is something very porous like pukani to provide the most surface area for bacteria to colonize. Bulk Reef Supply is one of many places you can purchase some.
+1

Test for phosphates before adding it to your system though. Some batches are known to leach phosphates.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:32 AM   #8
Arcar
Registered Member

I bought this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8DVAO4...a-348697801173

I got it Yesterday. Looks nice! I have to clean the sand off but there is no dead stuff on it. I will soak it for a few weeks.

I also been following this post:
https://www.*********.com/threads/dr...5#post-4272525

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:45 AM   #9
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
Link is blocked...

Unread 12/11/2017, 10:50 AM   #10
Arcar
Registered Member

Maybe I cant post other foams? Thats silly

********* put that in where the * are

Unread 12/11/2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Arcar
Registered Member

reef 2 reef no space lol? I guess they don't like it

Unread 12/11/2017, 11:28 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
reef 2 reef no space lol? I guess they don't like it
That is one of the "banned" sites on this forum..
There isn't a published list of those banned sites but in general if you see the **** you know thats one of them.. I think they also sometimes sub in the words "clayboa" too

Its really sad IMO that this sites owners have felt that they need to do that but it is their site so they can do what they want...

Unread 12/11/2017, 12:04 PM   #13
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Its really sad IMO that this sites owners have felt that they need to do that but it is their site so they can do what they want...
Insecurities I guess. I agree with you though because it is a hobby and many of us read several different forums. It is always better to have multiple sources rather than one. Go figure.

Interesting thread since I've been looking at some options with my 240 that I just moved into the house. I've set aside a kitty for TBS and that was my original intent with what rock I wanted to use. Very hard to beat with regards to life, turn around, excitement, among everything else outside buy in. However, with two children in college and an already expensive hobby sometimes life leads one down a different path. With that in mind dry rock is back on the table which I've done before with my 100 gallon in 2000.

I'm actually considering BRS Pukani like Dmorty217 mentioned. It looks pretty porous and readily malleable to stack and/or aquascape. Simple hand tools should allow making holes for acrylic rods or PVC pipe allowing more stable stacking situations, caves, and stability with my 30" tall aquarium.

If I go this route that I will rinse off in a bucket then place into the tank and aquascape accordingly. I have a 40 breeder to seed the sand and rock with and once it goes through the various stages I can move everything once it is stable. Only negative thing I can think of is overall timeline. I'm looking at about 3 to 6 months I'm guessing before everything stablizes but it could be sooner.

Only thing I've not done is plumb in a media reactor to hold carbon or GFO. My sump has the holders for it but since I don't does or use media this is something I might want to do to help the cycle a bit. I'll have to read or see an example or two and consider adding that I guess.

Anyway great thread and feedback. Didn't mean to hijack but wanted to say I'm also considering the dry route and the rock I choose.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 01:19 PM   #14
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
+2, I love the look of this rock.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:21 PM   #15
Arcar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Insecurities I guess. I agree with you though because it is a hobby and many of us read several different forums. It is always better to have multiple sources rather than one. Go figure.

Interesting thread since I've been looking at some options with my 240 that I just moved into the house. I've set aside a kitty for TBS and that was my original intent with what rock I wanted to use. Very hard to beat with regards to life, turn around, excitement, among everything else outside buy in. However, with two children in college and an already expensive hobby sometimes life leads one down a different path. With that in mind dry rock is back on the table which I've done before with my 100 gallon in 2000.

I'm actually considering BRS Pukani like Dmorty217 mentioned. It looks pretty porous and readily malleable to stack and/or aquascape. Simple hand tools should allow making holes for acrylic rods or PVC pipe allowing more stable stacking situations, caves, and stability with my 30" tall aquarium.

If I go this route that I will rinse off in a bucket then place into the tank and aquascape accordingly. I have a 40 breeder to seed the sand and rock with and once it goes through the various stages I can move everything once it is stable. Only negative thing I can think of is overall timeline. I'm looking at about 3 to 6 months I'm guessing before everything stablizes but it could be sooner.

Only thing I've not done is plumb in a media reactor to hold carbon or GFO. My sump has the holders for it but since I don't does or use media this is something I might want to do to help the cycle a bit. I'll have to read or see an example or two and consider adding that I guess.

Anyway great thread and feedback. Didn't mean to hijack but wanted to say I'm also considering the dry route and the rock I choose.
Look into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got a box of it. Seems really nice and the PRICE! cant beat it. Maybe mix the 2? Im going all with the amazon rock.Cant beat it + there is NO dead stuff on it so im guessing when i cure it , i wont have any phosphates.

Good luck! I just need 1 piece of live rock that has NO hitchhikers lol I dont know if I can find that.