Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2017, 01:16 AM   #1
roksonic
Registered Member

Iron Fumarate vs Iron Gluconate for Chaeto?

I heard iron is good for chaeto, however will it have adverse effects on the fish I have in my Display tank?
I often see Iron Fumarate in human supplement pills and rarely ever see Iron Gluconate, is process to get Iron Fumarate bad for aquatic life? As I often see Iron Gluconate being recommended for dosing purposes.

Or is Iron Fumarate often not advised because it may have other inactive ingredients mixed into it?

The Iron Fumarate I see in my home is Vegan with "Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose, Stearic Acid, VegiBlendTM (carrot, broccoli, & tomato concentrates), Silica, and Magnesium Stearate.

Thoughts on the questions and how the product I have may effect the tank overall?

I don't intend on dosing with the Iron supplement I have in my cabinet since Marine Iron supplement is already very affordable. But I'm just curious on the chemistry and effects.

roksonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:24 AM   #2
JTL
Registered Member

I bought ferrous sulfate (65mg) 100 caps for $2.50 at Walgreens. 2 tabs per one cup of RO. Considering I only dose 1ml per week, if that, it will last longer than me.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 02:41 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Fumarate is a fairly simple organic compound. It's fine to use in place of glucose, at the dosing rates we use for iron. I am not sure that it will be as bio-available as gluconate, but I suspect it would be fine. I'd get something without the vegetable powder, I guess, but they are safe enough, as well. Fergon iron tables are fine, and have been tested.

Unread 12/18/2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Tripod1404
Registered Member

For me the biggest concern would be silica. It has the potential to cause diatom blooms as silica is the limiting compound for diatom growth. It might be small enough to be negligible but if the exact milligrams of it is not listed, it can be a gamble.

Aside from that fumarate would most likely feed bacteria. But for the amounts you are going to use, that is negligible.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:43 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Silica isn't very soluble, and the amount would be tiny, so I wouldn't worry about it. Diatoms can't live on silicate alone, in any case, and lots of snails are happy to eat them. I dosed silicate for years to try to help with sponge growth. I never saw any extra diatom growth.

Last edited by bertoni; 12/18/2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:48 PM   #6
roksonic
Registered Member

Thank you all for the input and information!

roksonic is offline   Reply With Quote