Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2017, 08:40 AM   #1
gman107
Registered Member

Scratches in glass

My 90gallon glass tank has a few scratches is there a way to get them out without breaking tank down ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gman107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 11:14 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

On the outside yes. On the inside not without lowering the water level below the scratches.

Unread 12/18/2017, 11:17 AM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

I assume it is on the inside ?? If so I have seen this done but would not attempt it myself. What you will need is a scratch repair kit for glass that uses abrasive pads. A polish/grinder that will work under water. They usually cost around $1500.00 for a good one. Not sure if anyone makes a small version. It might be cheaper to get a new tank or drain yours.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 12:48 PM   #4
gman107
Registered Member

I should have said outside of tank

gman107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 01:39 PM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman107 View Post
I should have said outside of tank

Yes. Depending on the depth you can use a chrome polish and a microfiber towel. If it is deep you may need an orbital polisher with a cutting then buffing compound. Caution needs to be used with regard to how hot you make the glass. Go slow. Obviously the hand method takes time and multiple applications.

You tube videos are out there as well.

Unread 12/18/2017, 01:59 PM   #6
albano
SALTWATER since '73

IME, the chances of 'fixing' any real scratches in a glass tank is zero!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 05:55 PM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Depends on the depth. Anything more than a minor surface scratch and I agree.

Unread 12/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Depends on the depth. Anything more than a minor surface scratch and I agree.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Although you do have to have a scratch removal kit and buffer...

Scratch Removal - Glass Renu

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 09:53 AM   #9
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baringcs View Post
Nope. Nope. Nope. Although you do have to have a scratch removal kit and buffer...

I'd consider the scratch in this thread as moderate. I've seen worse. Furthermore I've seen worse scratches successfully corrected. As you state in that thread, it's not for the "faint at heart".

Perhaps the OP can share a picture of the scratch they need repaired. Then some suggestions on repair can be better advised.

Unread 12/20/2017, 12:02 PM   #10
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
I don't believe it, can't think of anyone that has been able to fix a 'noticeable' scratch, including local glass shops... Waste of time

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't believe it, can't think of anyone that has been able to fix a 'noticeable' scratch, including local glass shops... Waste of time
Ok well I guess I photo shopped the pic's in my thread..

My Tanks
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:24 PM   #12
jtrasap
Elite Member

It really depends on the depth of the scratch. You can use an abrasive such as jeweler's rouge and polish out a scratch. The problem is with glass, the more you remove to get to the bottom of the scratch, the more distorted the light will be passing through it. You will end up with a lensing effect if you go too deep.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:35 PM   #13
outy
Moved On

Quote:

Great job!!!!

Next time my tank is drained I want to do this to a few smaller scratches in my 215

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:36 PM   #14
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Did you look at the link he provided?

Unread 12/20/2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrasap View Post
It really depends on the depth of the scratch. You can use an abrasive such as jeweler's rouge and polish out a scratch. The problem is with glass, the more you remove to get to the bottom of the scratch, the more distorted the light will be passing through it. You will end up with a lensing effect if you go too deep.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

All three of my practice scratches were made with the edge of dremel 7123 diamond wheel point. They all were 1" to 3" in length. All were deep enough in the glass to catch your finger nail.

None of the three would have been removed with cerium oxide alone. By working out from the original scratch i did not encounter any noticeable lensing. But I am sure there is a point/depth were lensing could be encountered. I just haven't encountered it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Tanks
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:41 PM   #16
outy
Moved On

Quote:
All three of my practice scratches were made with the edge of dremel 7123 diamond wheel point. They all were 1" to 3" in length. All were deep enough in the glass to catch your finger nail.

None of the three would have been removed with cerium oxide alone. By working out from the original scratch i did not encounter any noticeable lensing.

Finding he right pads the hard part, that renu sells

Unread 12/20/2017, 01:56 PM   #17
jtrasap
Elite Member

Quote:

None of the three would have been removed with cerium oxide alone. By working out from the original scratch i did not encounter any noticeable lensing. But I am sure there is a point/depth were lensing could be encountered. I just haven't encountered it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's always nice to be able to repair things yourself. I have successfully removed light scratches on a number of tanks with a buffer and cerium oxide. Unfortunately I also have a couple of tanks that have lensed areas where scratches were just too deep. One of those tanks was only bout two weeks old and was gouged by some grit or sand that was embedded in a brand new Magnavore pad. Needless to say, after Magnavore played it off like it was my fault that I didn't check their brand new pads for dirt and grime. I don't use their products and I warn people against it as often as I can.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 10:30 AM   #18
crawlerman
Registered Member

Quote:

That is amazing work. I would be completely freaked out after seeing all of the scratches in step 1. Not for the faint of heart is correct.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 10:36 AM   #19
pisanoal
Registered Member

It is completely possible to remove scratches. Be prepared to spend some time and energy on anything more than a very minor scratch. I tried to fix some major scratching in a used 125 I bought. Fixed some minor ones, but there were way more scratches then I thought when I bought it.

I spent hours and made some faint scratches disappear. I was also working on pretty large areas, but still, be prepared to spend some time.

Definitely possible to get good results though.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 12:38 PM   #20
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe not in the past but Glass Renu along with a skilled technician is the real deal.

A post out of my build thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
So this is something I haven't talked much about. When I really got to cleaning the tank I discovered the glass was heavily damaged from coralline etching. For those not familiar it happens when coralline algae is left on the glass too long. Not exactly sure why it happens but it happens and the damage while not that deep into the surface permanently scars it. I don't know how I missed it when I purchased the tank but since I knew they were there... it was going to drive me bonkers. It wasn't just a few spots, it was hundreds. Most were dime sized but many were quarter sized.

They looked like this. A real eye sore. Most of this stuff is covered up once wet but I knew it would be a distraction.

I purchased many different things to try and polish them out. High quality Cerium oxide worked but it was super tedious and caused distortion (a lensing effect). I spent countless hours working on it and got to a point of frustration that wouldn't let me continue. Either I had to find someone who could repair it, replace the panes, ignore it, or scrap and replace the tank. I called companies left and right eventually learning to leave out the fact that it was an aquarium. No luck. Then I found a company called GlassRenu, the website feels a bit like an infomercial, but I figured I had nothing to lose by contacting one of their technicians, there was only one in Colorado. Jim @ Castlewood Glass Repair. After a long discussion we setup an appointment and he took a stab at it. GlassRenu actually uses proprietary sanding disks and essentially resurfaces the glass.

After a full days work he had done the left side and half of the right side. He wanted me to fill it and see what it looked like with water. It looks great!

He came back a few weeks later (after forgetting what a royal pita it is to do this inside a box ) and finished the right side and the front pane.

Here is the result!

Let me tell you, after years and years of seeing people trying to fix this issue on glass aquariums only to accept that it cannot be done. It can be done! I must warn you, it isn't cheap. Most tanks you would be better off scrapping. But if you are stuck in a situation like me, this does work, just be prepared to pay for it. Jim is one hard working dude and it took him 16 hours to get it done. This was awesome and totally worth it! Minus a few scuffs that will be hidden by sand the thing looks brand new!

My to do list is getting shorter! We're almost there!!!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 02:07 PM   #21
Steveb
Registered Member

tkeracer619 thanks for posting that up!

My Tanks
Unread 12/21/2017, 02:44 PM   #22
tkeracer619
Registered Member