Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2020, 01:42 AM   #1
aleok
Registered Member

New house, new tank complications

Hello,
So currently I have an 8-year-old standard 90-gallon mix reef, w/ 75g Rubbermaid tub sump, in my dad’s garage. Big LPS colonies on one side and decent sized SPS on the other.

I just purchased a ground level townhouse and originally thought this was the perfect time to upgrade to a nicer, longer, more ergonomic tank. My LFS has a custom 81 gallon that’s 72inches that I think would look great. Or I could do one of the standard 6’ tanks.

I will have a spare room that’s next to the living room with currently no wall between. So, I thought, perfect, built in wall tank /room divider tank, with filtration in the spare room.

BUT, I found out these townhouse, do regular tenting pest treatments! Like every 4-5 years (this isn’t my forever home, but I’ll probably have to deal with this at least once or twice). I read about how guys have taped off and done outside air positive pressure tents. Which sounds sketchy. I could also keep the tank in my dads garage running with nothing but live rock, so I could maybe transfer livestock (lots and lots).

Options 1: keep with the upgrade plan. Deal with it, if and when the tenting happens.

Option 2: divide my current corals into say 2 smaller 40g cubes, LPS and SPS, so its easier to handle when tenting happens, maybe.

Option 3: no tank Not really an option because I know I want a tank, even if its small.

Thanks for reading!!!!

aleok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2020, 11:01 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I would check more into this townhouse before buying. I've never heard of a homeowners association (or even condo association/apartment complex) that forces you to have your house bombed with chemicals. Many people would have a problem with that.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2020, 01:19 AM   #3
aleok
Registered Member

Thanks for your concern, But yea, apparently if the HOA and inspector agree that tenting is the best solution, they will and have done it in the past.

I was told they come out to check once a year and that last 3 times, they've just done spot treatments.

Unread 04/22/2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Custom tank 81 gallons & 72" long? Something is not right here!

Unread 04/28/2020, 09:24 PM   #5
aleok
Registered Member

71.5"...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1407[3536].jpg (78.0 KB, 17 views)
Unread 04/28/2020, 09:55 PM   #6
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Honestly I'd stay away from tempered but that's just me

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2020, 09:55 PM   #7
MarAquatic
Registered Member

And at only 15.5 inches wide its very narrow

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You should talk to the tent people. I bet they've dealt with aquariums before. Surely, they have a solution.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote