Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2014, 04:18 PM   #26
firemountain
Registered Member

My LFS indicated to me that if the Torch is large enough, you should be ok. If the Torch is smaller, then there is a good chance they will beat it up.

I have a pair of mated Ocellaris Clowns going into my DT tomorrow, so I will keep you posted on how things work out.

I bought the Torch because I love the look, and also because I didn't want a BTA moving around my tank if it got unhappy...stinging other corals that may get in its path.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed reef
firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 09:46 PM   #27
garyinco
Registered Member

I had a tank bred clown that eventually started hanging out in my torch. It took a couple years though. It was a good sized torch, three good sized heads and a number of smaller ones. No harm whatsoever in my experience.

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 10:24 PM   #28
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Torch coral won't have much to say in the matter. Clowns will either view it as an acceptable, though not natural, host or they won't. I've never had clowns use coral as a host anemone substitute, but don't doubt they can.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 08:41 AM   #29
Denbf58
Registered Member

the mated pair of clowns i had killed every lps coral i have had . six month to a year after they started hosting the corals would start receding and die after 4 years the female died now the male hangs out in my Xenias

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 09:30 PM   #30
laguest
Registered Member

Old thread but this just started in my tank I have 2 CB ocellaris clown fish that have been in the tank for about a week. The small one just started to host in the torch, the medium is interested and also goes in sometimes but not as much. Its a 5 head torch and is always very happy and healthy. The torch is the center piece of the tank right now so i don't want to have it die off on me. But at the same time, its really cool to see the clown going in and out of the torch.

laguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 09:59 PM   #31
guarda
Registered Member

Yeah, mine spends lights out in my torch and daylight in my duncan. Doesn't seem to affect either very much.

guarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 10:29 AM   #32
laguest
Registered Member

Update from my last post in May 2016.

My 2 clowns are still hosting in the Torch coral. I think they are starting to kill it, it does not open all the way up anymore and I don't see the fans coming out to gather food anymore. I am not sure what to do here, if I keep the clowns away from the Torch I am sure they will get very stressed which could cause other issues.

Unread 10/21/2017, 10:31 AM   #33
laguest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguest View Post
Update from my last post in May 2016.

My 2 clowns are still hosting in the Torch coral. I think they are starting to kill it, it does not open all the way up anymore and I don't see the fans coming out to gather food anymore. I am not sure what to do here, if I keep the clowns away from the Torch I am sure they will get very stressed which could cause other issues.
Sorry I have the date this started wrong, it was not May 2016, it started April 2017

Unread 10/24/2017, 07:41 AM   #34
biecacka
Registered Member

I have seen clowns host a number of things, leaders, Duncan's, torch, elegance, and lord knows what ever else. Mine essentially hosted my return line for years in my tank, then one day I was trying to catch one of them and they swam to the center of the tank and jumped right in my anemone, like it was natural. Only took 4 years.......crazy fish.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 06:43 PM   #35
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Going to bump this thread rather than starting a new one...

Just took the reef plunge after having a FOWLR for 3 1/2 years. First coral is a toxic green 3-headed torch - has been looking like a beautiful head of broccoli when the lights are on since I put it in about 3 weeks ago...

HOWEVER,

I have a bounded pair of Black Ice clowns that are using it as a host a now one of the heads looks like they have rubbed the polyps off it (they are just kind of hanging there rather than looking firmly attached.

Is this how they kill them?

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:28 PM   #36
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Yup. Just repeated physical contact eventually wears the coral out and/or weakens it.

That said, I've known clowns that hosted in corals for years with no damage. I've also known clowns that killed (appropriate) anemones. It's pretty situational and I don't think anyone can predict the outcome, regardless of the species of host.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:36 PM   #37
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Yup. Just repeated physical contact eventually wears the coral out and/or weakens it.
Son of a...

My prized fish are taking out my FIRST EVER coral...

Why did I switch from FOWLER to reef again?

Unread 12/12/2017, 07:43 PM   #38
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Ha!

This is part of the fun. Just keep telling yourself that.

Try moving the coral, or adding some more, or adding an appropriate hosting anemone.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:58 PM   #39
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Ha!

This is part of the fun. Just keep telling yourself that.

Try moving the coral, or adding some more, or adding an appropriate hosting anemone.
I will add some more - but I'm building an SPS dominant (if you're gonna take the plunge, take the plunge, right?)

Was just being very deliberate (see my signature)...nems aren't in the picture but another torch may be in the very near future...

Unread 12/13/2017, 08:40 AM   #40
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

SPS are easier than you'd think. All you really need is stability of parameters, light, and flow. Light and flow are easy, just get the right equipment. Stability is what trips most people up, but often it's because they're introducing the variation, versus the tank itself varying. Understand the important nutrients (Ca, alk, N, P, and possibly Mg depending on stocking and water changes) and how they're kept stable, and you're golden. Don't dose or remove anything without being able to measure, and without understanding an appropriate dosing or removal rate to get your target. Test, adjust, repeat, and eventually you'll learn the patterns your tank needs.

Unread 12/13/2017, 12:32 PM   #41
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy7499 View Post
Does it matter what type clown? I have had the male Ocerlaris hosting in a torch for about 6 months and the torch is still very healthy (the female has taken a liking to my colt coral). Is it just a matter of time or have I lucked out?
My clowns have hosted my torch for almost two years. I actually fragged the torch about 6 months ago. I only took off two heads though. Every now and then I see the male in the frag.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 01:06 PM   #42
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Clownfish have a need to "host" something.....if no anenome then corals, if not corals then a heater, a piece of tubing, the corner of the tank.....they will do what they want....it's breed into them....torches, hammers, leathers all that stuff not uncommon....however I have seen some more aggressive corals sting a clown and leave a black mark on him....nevertheless he didn't go too close again...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote