Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2017, 11:57 AM   #26
scott11106
Registered Member

the tank is open to the living room, the bedroom is behind the fish room.

i put the sink on the opposite wall due to space, if you all think that it is very important for the sink next to the tank i can move the R/O to the other side and maybe fit it...

i have attached a new drawing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3922.jpg (64.8 KB, 60 views)
scott11106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 12:25 PM   #27
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Not sure if you saw my comment to you. Do you have any concerns about noise or smell issues so near a master bedroom? Or have you planned for that already?

Unread 03/24/2017, 12:38 PM   #28
scott11106
Registered Member

yes i saw that as i was posting. I do have concerns for that but i am not sure what to do about that... if i make the door so it seals and it has an exhaust fan and ac and return you dont think that will take care of the smell? plus there are a set of doors between the room and the master bedroom.

having said that i dont know if it will still be a problem so please give your thoughts. I could flip the house and put the kids bedrooms on that side.

as far as sound i am also worried about that but i plan to do some sort of sound proofing but have not figured out what that could be as of yet? i will have a solid core door also .
the only other thing i could do is put a basement in the house but that is a real expensive option just for an aquarium...

please let me know your thoughts

Unread 03/24/2017, 12:55 PM   #29
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
@fishgate. I may be wrong but I believe that this is a fishroom with an inwall tank display that faces a living room near a fireplace.

My concern is in having a fish room so close to your master bedroom. My wife would not go for such a design for two reasons. The noise from pumps and that fish store smell. Do you have such concerns or is the bedroom well isolated from your fish room?

Ah - ok you are right. It looks to be in like a walk-in closet just outside the bedroom.

Do you have an updated drawing you want to share? Please include the layout of the living room where your fireplace and display tank

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 04:01 PM   #30
scott11106
Registered Member

ok to recap, here are some of the changes and edits as per these good ideas.

I have made it 1 foot wider and 1 foot longer
changed the 35 gallon cans to 55 gallon heavy duty barrel type containers
an exhaust fan to remove moisture
extra gfi outlets
i think i am going to add a counter top with sink instead of just a utility sink
1 1/2 " step down into room for drainage
floor tile and tile walls up to 3' (like a shower build)
sump/refugium/ skimmer ect under tank

things i am still a bit worried about: (any additional ideas are welcome)

1. sound proofing and noise
2. smell for master bedroom
3. i plan to use apex for as much as i can so want to make sure i have electric perfect as there will be alot pulling power from that one source
4. location of power and where to mount apex

Unread 03/24/2017, 07:03 PM   #31
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I really don't know your entire home build situation by any means but I think you're on the right track by planning out this out so far in advance.

As far as controllers go, I've owned the Apex and more recently a GHL Profilux. 5-8 years ago I would have said noting compares to the Apex. Today there are more choices and there are no clear winners any more. My personal favorite between the two is the GHL by far. Be sure to check into controller brands and talk to friends who own other than the Apex when you are doing your research. You'll be impressed with what else is out there!

Thanks,
Chris

Unread 03/24/2017, 08:17 PM   #32
VGT
Registered Member

Smell should be fine if they can execute negative pressure and split HVAC, careful with code with regard to the negative pressure thing.

My only note, that room looks tiny. Going to be difficult to work in, no prep space, etc. Shelving for two tanks does not seem to have adequate space to service them.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 06:48 AM   #33
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
I really don't know your entire home build situation by any means but I think you're on the right track by planning out this out so far in advance.

As far as controllers go, I've owned the Apex and more recently a GHL Profilux. 5-8 years ago I would have said noting compares to the Apex. Today there are more choices and there are no clear winners any more. My personal favorite between the two is the GHL by far. Be sure to check into controller brands and talk to friends who own other than the Apex when you are doing your research. You'll be impressed with what else is out there!

Thanks,
Chris
yes i just checked out the GHL products and they look really good. I will have to do more research but looks like a winner. What do you think of there lights?

Unfortunately i do not know anyone that is in this hobby except everyone on here.

Unread 03/25/2017, 11:23 AM   #34
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGT View Post
Smell should be fine if they can execute negative pressure and split HVAC, careful with code with regard to the negative pressure thing.

My only note, that room looks tiny. Going to be difficult to work in, no prep space, etc. Shelving for two tanks does not seem to have adequate space to service them.
I have no smell at all (bad or otherwise) with my fishroom that has 2 150gallon volume tanks plus saltwater mixing. There should be no adverse smell from a properly maintained system.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 12:00 PM   #35
VGT
Registered Member

Every tank has a smell, whether or not you notice it is another thing. Even freshly mixed saltwater has an oceany smell to it. I personally don't find it offensive, but some may.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 05:38 PM   #36
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott11106 View Post
things i am still a bit worried about: (any additional ideas are welcome)

1. sound proofing and noise
2. smell for master bedroom
3. i plan to use apex for as much as i can so want to make sure i have electric perfect as there will be alot pulling power from that one source
4. location of power and where to mount apex
1. You can buy sound proofing insulation.

2. I wouldn't worry about smell. The exhaust fan will take care of most (if not all) of it.

3/4. There are many ways to handle this. Depending on your choice of lights, you might want to run separate circuits above and below the tank. That way, one gets the lights and the other gets pumps/heaters. Just plan things out and make sure you're not overloading any circuits. You can mount the controller almost anywhere, but make sure it won't get splashed.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 05:51 PM   #37
benjammin03
Registered Member

I am using my unfinished side of my basement as my fish room. Should I worry about rust on my furnace and ducts or anything I should consider

benjammin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 06:55 PM   #38
Drewl117
Registered Member

I did a 210 in wall with a room behind and I'll tell you.... if you can... do not paint the back of the tank until the rockscape is done, it will be much easier. I painted mine and then put it in the hole and then filled it with water and rock and it's hard to place rock just how u want it when you can only see from the top!

Drewl117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 09:35 PM   #39
UTCReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
If you've got an option for a floor drain, it's real good. I have a basement sump with that feature, and oh, the grief it's saved me.

I'd say in the 12 years since you left, the big deals is the high-end skimmer, and the LED lights, which are tricky; plus the high-volume circulation devices like Gyre and others.

If you have a basement option for the sump, take it: my Iwaki 100 pump sounds like a jet engine warming up. Down there, out of hearing.

Since the LEDS no longer provide the kind of heat MH did, plan on heating at least in the winter.

And being near a water source is good.

Or you can get some 400W MH lights to keep your water nice and warm, and make your sps grow like weeds. DC pumps for the return will be much quieter.

UTCReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 10:04 PM   #40
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
yes i just checked out the GHL products and they look really good. I will have to do more research but looks like a winner. What do you think of there lights?

Unfortunately i do not know anyone that is in this hobby except everyone on here.
Everyone has their own personal opinions about lighting and I haven't owned a GHL fixture before so I can't really say. I think they may be a bit pricey being LED and all but I haven't really looked into it. I've been running an ATI T5 fixture for four years. It does the job well and it's paid for. The Profilux 4 controller will control all the major brands of lighting so you aren't tied to GHL lighting unless you want to be. Other's with GHL fixture experience can probably help you out here better.

Good feedback from others on the smell control. With proper ventilation in your plans, you can manage that well enough. It's just one of those things I'd want someone to mention to me if I was in the design phase like you are.

Unread 04/10/2017, 06:37 PM   #41
scott11106
Registered Member

so I am starting to look into tanks now that i have the fish room designed and off to the builder. I really dont know where to get my tank and the only one i saw that peeked my interest was lifetime aquariums but that was because i only found a couple to choose from. any input would be great.

Also i was a LFS and in talking with them they were trying to convince me to have the tank hang out of the wall 6" or so to be able to see a bit in the tank since i am building it into the wall. I like the idea but wanted to run it by you all to see any pros or cons

thanks

Unread 04/10/2017, 06:45 PM   #42
anthonys51
Registered Member.

i would also set up a refugium or second sump. have this sump dedicated to growing nothing but gha and other algae. basically like a 50 gallon algae scrubber. place where pods, worms and other critters can grow and then go back into your tank to feed your corals and fish. have the skimmer before this tank.

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 09:42 AM   #43
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
1. You can buy sound proofing insulation.

2. I wouldn't worry about smell. The exhaust fan will take care of most (if not all) of it.

3/4. There are many ways to handle this. Depending on your choice of lights, you might want to run separate circuits above and below the tank. That way, one gets the lights and the other gets pumps/heaters. Just plan things out and make sure you're not overloading any circuits. You can mount the controller almost anywhere, but make sure it won't get splashed.

- Ivan
+1

1. Depending on the insulation you're doing, most installers probably offer a sound dampener option too. Were doing this in our home between floors, just not the fishroom in our case because it's on the end of the house. It's less than $1/sq ft.

3/4. Ivan makes a great point I saw someone else do and just added to mine. Putting an outlet above your tank so you can plug your hanging lights into will keep the cords from hanging over your tank. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture or I'd upload one here.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 09:49 AM   #44
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
so I am starting to look into tanks now that i have the fish room designed and off to the builder. I really dont know where to get my tank and the only one i saw that peeked my interest was lifetime aquariums but that was because i only found a couple to choose from. any input would be great.

Also i was a LFS and in talking with them they were trying to convince me to have the tank hang out of the wall 6" or so to be able to see a bit in the tank since i am building it into the wall. I like the idea but wanted to run it by you all to see any pros or cons

thanks
I'm doing mine flush with the sill maybe the drywall. 6" isn't much viewing from the side. If you can expose a full corner (haven't checked your drawing lately) then that may be worth it, IMO. Just be sure to have front access on top regardless of what you do. If you go flush, make the height of the opening ~6" taller, and then use trim with something like a piano hinge to allow access from the front.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 05:00 PM   #45
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Here are a couple of pictures that may provide some inspiration. This is a means to hide pvc pipe and improve flow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3126.jpg (19.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3127.jpg (19.6 KB, 39 views)
Unread 04/11/2017, 05:56 PM   #46
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
i would also set up a refugium or second sump. have this sump dedicated to growing nothing but gha and other algae. basically like a 50 gallon algae scrubber. place where pods, worms and other critters can grow and then go back into your tank to feed your corals and fish. have the skimmer before this tank.
yes i agree and i plan to do that , thanks for the input as i also will have a QT tank for obvious reasons..

Unread 04/11/2017, 05:59 PM   #47
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
+1

1. Depending on the insulation you're doing, most installers probably offer a sound dampener option too. Were doing this in our home between floors, just not the fishroom in our case because it's on the end of the house. It's less than $1/sq ft.

3/4. Ivan makes a great point I saw someone else do and just added to mine. Putting an outlet above your tank so you can plug your hanging lights into will keep the cords from hanging over your tank. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture or I'd upload one here.
I will most defiantly do that with insulation, about the power above the lights how will that work with a APex type controller system? do the lights have to plug into that unit or does that not matter? sorry if this is a stupid question but I have never dealt with a full system controller

Unread 04/11/2017, 06:19 PM   #48
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
yes i agree and i plan to do that , thanks for the input as i also will have a QT tank for obvious reasons..

What I did was have a temporary qt. Didn't set up a space. Did ttm. The used one of my frag tanks to house the fish fir 30 days before moving into my main tank. Also used uv on my tank did 4 on the output going into each tank. I only used 3100 gph pump for 4 tanks. I don't really believe turn around is that important to tanks 2 to 3 times and hour is more than enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 06:36 PM   #49
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
I'm doing mine flush with the sill maybe the drywall. 6" isn't much viewing from the side. If you can expose a full corner (haven't checked your drawing lately) then that may be worth it, IMO. Just be sure to have front access on top regardless of what you do. If you go flush, make the height of the opening ~6" taller, and then use trim with something like a piano hinge to allow access from the front.
totally agree on the from access and i plan on having the front with woodwork and having doors that open up above the tank for easy access.

As far as having 6" of tank sticking out of the wall I am not sold on and as you stated might not be enough to make it worth doing...

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:11 PM   #50
scott11106
Registered Member

i would like to talk tanks....

who should i buy my 300-400 gallon tank from?

should I get glass or acrylic?

Tags
300 gallon reef tank, fish room, reef aquarium