Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:03 PM   #1
Arcar
Registered Member

Smile Back after 11 years!

Man o man,

I'm coming back after being gone for 11 years lol. I'm 31 now and was 21 when I sold my saltwater tank. I have more time on my hands and more money lol so I want to get back into it.

I visited my local pet store as I want to support them as much as I can. I'm now shopping around for a whole new setup. I want a 90g tank 24"high 48"long with stand. Looking for a sump.reg and protein skimmer.

Crazy to see the changes in lighting. I remember MH being it! Love the new LED and low power consumption. I really am liking the Orbit 4106! Prob going with that.

Anyone have any good links to a 90g tank with overflow?
Also looking at a Eshopp R-100 sump.ref, anyone think this is a good/bad choice?
protein skimmers any good ones?

I also have been reading that deep sand beds are no longer a thing! lol! Back in the day the deeper the better ha... So I just use a 1-2" bed??

Liverock is also kinda going away it seems..Yes, I remember the unwanted bubble alg etc.... Im looking at reefsaver rock right now.. Im liking it!

What else am I missing? Are there any new equip to make a new tank successful?

Your time would be appreciated on helping me out! I thank you in advance

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 08:00 PM   #2
SAT
Registered Member

Welcome back!

There's a lot more focus now on using algae for nutrient export (Chaeto or ATS). I see a lot more people using GFO and carbon dosing. There is more awareness of the importance of phosphates.

Deep sand beds are still a viable option, just not as popular as they were. Wet/dry filters are pretty much gone. I don't see a lot of references to UV and ozone.

DC pumps have become popular, particularly for wavemakers. Controllers are also popular.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Arcar
Registered Member

Thank You!

I will be using chaeto for sure. Carbon I have done in the past as well as GFO when needed. Wet/Dry filter never done, never will

What do you mean by DC pumps? Is that more energy efficient? What kind of controllers are you referring to?

Thanks

Unread 12/03/2017, 08:29 PM   #4
SAT
Registered Member

DC pumps are more efficient and the speed is easily controlled, which is great in a wavemaker. Check out the EcoTech products. Also look at the Tunze 6105.

Unread 12/03/2017, 08:32 PM   #5
SAT
Registered Member

For controllers check out Neptune Systems and Digital Aquatics. It seems just about everything can be centrally controlled.

And look at the video series from Bulk Reef Supply.

Unread 12/03/2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Arcar
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-4.../dp/B01MAZAZ7B

Thats what im looking at. The new loop system can control the lights and pumps all in one so i dont have to buy multiple systems.

Unread 12/04/2017, 06:47 AM   #7
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
Man o man,..I want a 90g tank...
18" front to back...

be that as it may I'd suggest as wide a weir as you can find. Synergy overflows look nice, the 20" model would give decent surface skimming. I wish they came without those strainer teeth though. Pricey, but you have more now so...

So a regular 90 that you drill yourself is my suggestion. get 'er done so I can post a link.

OT: I'm surprised you could use your old user name - what with AOL* and all...

(that's code for long time ago you whipper snappers)

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 07:18 AM   #8
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank You!

I will be using chaeto for sure. Carbon I have done in the past as well as GFO when needed. Wet/Dry filter never done, never will

What do you mean by DC pumps? Is that more energy efficient? What kind of controllers are you referring to?

Thanks

check the threads on Algae Turf Scrubbers (ATS). The folks moving in that direction swear by them as being very efficient and taking up a much smaller footprint. There are designs that get submerged with an airstone with the LEDs on the outside of the tank making it very quiet, compact and easy to maintain.

additional information on DC pumps, in wavemakers they don't need the brakes that wear out ac pumps from the constant on and off. If in your budget, DC are better pumps for wave making.

Also check out the cyrptic sponge thread, lot's a cool information about how low flow no light zones are vital parts of the coral biosphere.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 07:29 AM   #9
SAT
Registered Member

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-4.../dp/B01MAZAZ7B

Thats what im looking at. The new loop system can control the lights and pumps all in one so i dont have to buy multiple systems.
No direct experience. However, I see comments that Current LEDs are suitable only for shallow tanks. An advantage of Neptune & DA controllers is that lots of manufacturers make their devices compatible, so you can pick and choose the best.

Unread 12/04/2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Arcar
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips

Yes, I need to change my AOL info lol... I remembered my sign on name and password first try ha...

Algae Turf Scrubbers ? I would have to look into it! as of now, im going with a protein skimmer but who knows.

For my sump im looking at this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=30997

Now should I go with the 100 like the manufacture recommends or go with the 200? Its 6" longer and 2" deeper, thats about it. Any other recommendations on subs/reg?

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Arcar
Registered Member

I'm looking into salts right now. I don't want a fancy one but I was looking between
Coralife Marine Salt or RC. What do you recommend? The
Coralife Marine Salt will be cheaper over time.

Unread 12/04/2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat as you are. I got out about in '07. A LOT has changed, but the basic principles remain the same. I just got back into it and went with a Reefer 250. I also went with Kessil Leds (as opposed to my Sunpod 150HQI back in the day). As mentioned, you may want to look into an ATS. I did go with one and went with a Clearwater scrubber that is plumbed off the returned off the return manifold and it drains back into the sump.

If you have the funds, I'd look into getting an Apex module. I splurged and it has proven to be extremely useful so far. For example, I had a friend watch my tank while I was out of town and was able to look at some of my parameters. Something did go wrong while he was there and needed to perform a water change. I was able to remotely turn off my skimmer and return pump while he changed the water. When he was done I was able to turn it back on. No harm no foul and everything was back on par.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Arcar
Registered Member

Well, let's take a trip together lol!

The Reefer is real nice! Im going with a 90g take with overflow. The reefer is out of my price range. Kessil lights are nice, i do enjoy the Orbits

I did look into the ATS- Scary lol... So do you not have a skimmer then? is it hard to maintain the scrubber? Does it really do that better of a job?

Apex seems cool just to much $

Questions- What gravel do I use? I read that deep sand beds are gone.

Unread 12/04/2017, 02:39 PM   #14
Arcar
Registered Member

Aw... The more I read the more I get scared lol.. I'm just worried about algae blooms and unwanted visitors ruining my tank... Does this happen to everyone? Seems like there are a lot of articles of problems with tanks vs success stories..

What are your thoughts?

Unread 12/04/2017, 02:44 PM   #15
urban_s
Registered Member

Welcome back!!!

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 03:03 PM   #16
Xandernfs
Registered Member

Quote:
Aw... The more I read the more I get scared lol.. I'm just worried about algae blooms and unwanted visitors ruining my tank... Does this happen to everyone? Seems like there are a lot of articles of problems with tanks vs success stories..

What are your thoughts?
If this was something that was bound for doom I don't many would venture into the hobby. IMO, learn from people's mistakes: set up a QT tank, do your research before making impulsive decisions, and be patient. Nothing good happens in this hobby when things are rushed, which has been and always will be great advice and I'm sure you already knew.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Esh1
Registered Member

Welcome back! I pretty much went through the same process you're going through now just a few months ago after being out about 14 years.

I too setup a 90, however I sort of wish I went with something bigger in width, as well as at least 5ft vs 4ft, as for many of the fish I'm interested in, tangs in particular, 5ft seems to be the recommended entry starting point so that they have the space they need to swim. A lot of the equipment I purchased for the 90 could easily be used for a tank that would fit this bill so really the only additional investment would be a bigger stand and tank.

Good luck and enjoy your build!

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Arcar
Registered Member

You guys are great ! I personally don’t want to go any bigger because of the space requirement I feel 90 would be suffice .

Few questions I would like help answering what kind of substrate should I get and how much pounds should I put in my tank for 90 gallon also do I need all retractor down the road for phosphate issues I really don’t want an algae scrubber at the moment

Unread 12/04/2017, 04:54 PM   #19
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm looking into salts right now. I don't want a fancy one but I was looking between
Coralife Marine Salt or RC. What do you recommend? The
Coralife Marine Salt will be cheaper over time.
Any of the name brand salts should be fine.
In fact there is some research on mixing different brands to get a more balanced trace element mix. There is a post here on RC with info on almost every salt mix.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...light=salt+mix

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 06:23 PM   #20
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Deep sand beds and live rock are still the gold standard Many here using metal halides instead of newer technologies that look good on the surface, but in reality aren’t the miracle you might be led to believe. Most folks using LED’s spend more watts on heaters running, depending on your climate. Dry rock might be a couple bucks a pound less than great quality live rock, but many spend that $2/pound savings over time on phosphate removal with the dry rock. Read some more before plopping money and welcome back.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 06:40 PM   #21
Arcar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Deep sand beds and live rock are still the gold standard Many here using metal halides instead of newer technologies that look good on the surface, but in reality aren’t the miracle you might be led to believe. Most folks using LED’s spend more watts on heaters running, depending on your climate. Dry rock might be a couple bucks a pound less than great quality live rock, but many spend that $2/pound savings over time on phosphate removal with the dry rock. Read some more before plopping money and welcome back.
Thanks for the info! The new orbit LEDs seem really nice and my local fish store house I’m running on their 400 gallon and everything is thriving . Also reef cleaners.com supposedly cleans their rock for over a month which won’t let phosphates be released after time . Little less than two dollars a pound . I’m just really worried about hitchhikers and adding things to my tank but I dealt with over 11 years ago

Unread 12/04/2017, 07:11 PM   #22
NS Mike D
Registered Member

ATS and Protein Skimmers remove different things.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 08:22 PM   #23
Arcar
Registered Member

Thanks Mike..

More questions! lol

For my return pump my lps said to get this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=36153

I have a 90 gallon take connected to a R-100 sump.reg

Also, How many flow pumps should I have in the main tank? Im going to get the orbit loop system

Still need help on the gravel.

Thanks

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:51 PM   #24
Lsufan
Registered Member

Those current orbit LEDs are not very strong at all. I believe a 90 gallon is 24” deep & that light will be strong enough for us softies & maybe some lps up top. I don’t know what I plan on having in the tank but if u plan on having something other then fish & soft corals I would get a stronger light. I’m no expert on LEDs, I use MH & T-5 but if u want to grow corals look into fixtures that have atleast 3 watt LEDs or higher. I think that orbit runs 1/2 watt or 1 watt LEDs.

Any aragonite sand will work. It depends on the grain size u want. A lot of people use caribsea sands, some like the Fiji pink which is a little smaller grain size & the sps folks with a lot of flow like to use the special grade. I really like Tropic Edens line of sands. Once I used it once I have never used anything else because I like it so much.

Be careful listening to much to your LFS. They have some good ones out there but 90 percent of them are just after your money. It sounds like yours may be one of those by some of the things u are saying they are telling u. It sounds like they must be in line with current by trying to push all of their products. Personally, I wouldn’t get those lights. Thevreturn pump I don’t know about because I haven’t ever heard anything about it.

It looks like u are but Before u purchase something I would make sure u do your research on the product first & ask people’s opinions on here. Buy quality stuff to begin with even if it takes a little longer to get the tank setup. There is nothing worse then buying something just to find out a couple months later that u are you to have to purchase the same piece of equipment again & end up spending more money then just buying quality the first time.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 08:00 AM   #25
Arcar
Registered Member

Thanks Lsufan,

The LED's had great reviews, he was also using them in the store with great success. That's what sold me. My tank is 24" deep, I did not want to use MH for the heat and cost reasons. I mostly will have softs in my tank and if I do hard lps I would put them on top.

My fish store has been in the business for over 40 years and have saltwater tanks everywhere, I thought he had an idea

Thanks for the aragoite tip.