Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 03:42 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Water parameters question

Hello folks,

Getting into more advanced testings since I brought home a few days ago a little rock with some zoas and want then to thrive.

I tested today my fresh salt water mix and got the following results(IO):

- NO3 - 0
- PO4- 0
- Mg - 1140ppm
- Alk - 11.8 dkH
- Ca - 400 mg/L

Then I tested my DT to have an idea how stable there were. I changed water 2 weekends ago 20% and have replaced about 10 extra gallons since to use
in a hospital tank.

- NO3 - 5ppm
- PO4- 0.01ppm
- Mg - 1260ppm
- Alk - 9.3 dkH
- Ca - 410 mg/L

Gravity is stable at 1.025 in both waters.

Now, I find it odd that the Mg had gone up and the Alk gone down...also Ca up. Does it make sense?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)

Last edited by allendehl; 12/14/2017 at 03:47 PM.
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 03:50 PM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

I would say your well within the limits of our hobby grade test kits.

What kits are you using?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 04:18 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I would say your well within the limits of our hobby grade test kits.

What kits are you using?
For calcium maybe.. mag/alk.. not so much..

Its a bit weird.. I wouldn't do anything yet and just keep testing every few days,etc.. or whatever and that should rule out any "oops"..

Unread 12/14/2017, 04:40 PM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Depending on the kit. Some alk kits are +-2dkh

MAG I will agree with you on though. could be a testing error also. I would retest and compare again.

Whenever I get a weird reading I retest.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 07:53 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Zoos are not terribly demanding on water. They thrive in most tanks provided the parameters are close.....yours are fine....test kits only put you in range....many are a guide only....keep them as stable as possible...give him..Moderate light and flow...no need to feed otherwise.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 03:13 PM   #6
allendehl
Registered Member

Thank you all!..What I find odd is that Mg went up and Alk down. I'll retest. How are params supposed to behave with the time provided no WC, stable salinity and no dosing?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 12/15/2017, 03:20 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
Thank you all!..What I find odd is that Mg went up and Alk down. I'll retest. How are params supposed to behave with the time provided no WC, stable salinity and no dosing?
Not go up

They go down fairly consistently..

I suspect you will find the same over time and this may be a fluke...

Unread 12/15/2017, 03:28 PM   #8
allendehl
Registered Member

Thank Mc!

Unread 12/15/2017, 03:32 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Just so you know, be careful how you handle zoa's

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515630

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 03:56 PM   #10
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Just so you know, be careful how you handle zoa's

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515630
...geez!!! I am allergic to shellfish so I may have some predisposition. This is some scary stuff!!!...Need to plan.

Thank you!!!!

Unread 12/15/2017, 04:44 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
...geez!!! I am allergic to shellfish so I may have some predisposition. This is some scary stuff!!!...Need to plan.

Thank you!!!!
It's not an allergen it's a poison and put me in the hospital for 3 days.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Timfish
Registered Member

Having kept reefs for 30 years and run my reef aquarium maintenance business for 22 years now I can say with confidence the biology in our systems is able to really screw with parameters all on it's/thier own. Having benchmarks like you have with both new and DT will help you see how your parameters can vary but your animals don't exhibit anything unusual behavior AND you will see your animals get really upset but there's been no change in parameters. As pointed out by Richard Ross with the Steinhart Aquarium in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIKW-9d2xI there's a lot of parameters we can't test for and there's questions about how we test, like how do we decide which of two or more test results for the same parameter is the right one if they differ? There's also still a lot of misperceptions about nutrients and the various roles of DOC in our systems and we are just beginning to understand what sponges are doing. This paper done by researchers at Southampton University in England found PO4 limitation in aquarium raised corals caused loss of coral biomass and promoted bleaching. Another video I would suggest is Forest Rohwer's introductory video to microbial processes and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2BMEfQGjU One of the surprising discoveries noted in this paper done by researchers at Southampton University in England found PO4 limitation in aquarium raised corals caused loss of coral biomass and promoted bleaching. Another video I would suggest is Forest Rohwer's introductory video to microbial processes and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2BMEfQGjU"]thesis work by de Goeij on cryptic sponges[/URL] is they remove DOC much, much faster than bacterioplankton (30 minutes verses ~20 days)

Last edited by Timfish; 12/16/2017 at 10:13 AM.
Timfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 10:22 AM   #13
Timfish
Registered Member

Having kept reefs for 30 years and run my reef aquarium maintenance business for 22 years now I can say with confidence the biology in our systems is able to really screw with parameters all on it's/thier own. Having benchmarks like you have with both new and DT will help you see how your parameters can vary but your animals don't exhibit anything unusual behavior AND you will see your animals get really upset but there's been no change in parameters. As pointed out by Richard Ross with the Steinhart Aquarium in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIKW-9d2xI there's a lot of parameters we can't test for and there's questions about how we test, like how do we decide which of two or more test results for the same parameter is the right one if they differ? There's also still a lot of misperceptions about nutrients and the various roles of DOC in our systems and we are just beginning to understand what sponges are doing. This paper done by researchers at Southampton University in England found PO4 limitation in aquarium raised corals caused loss of coral biomass and promoted bleaching. Another video I would suggest is Forest Rohwer's introductory video to microbial processes and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2BMEfQGjU And we're just beginning to understand the roles of cryptic sponges, thesis work by de Goeij shows cryptic sponges are able to remove DOC much, much faster than bacteria (30 minutes versus 20 days).

So my advice is watch your parameters. Watch your animals. Don't chase numbers because there's no such thing as perfect water conditions.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:54 AM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
Having kept reefs for 30 years and run my reef aquarium maintenance business for 22 years now I can say with confidence the biology in our systems is able to really screw with parameters all on it's/thier own. Having benchmarks like you have with both new and DT will help you see how your parameters can vary but your animals don't exhibit anything unusual behavior AND you will see your animals get really upset but there's been no change in parameters. As pointed out by Richard Ross with the Steinhart Aquarium in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIKW-9d2xI there's a lot of parameters we can't test for and there's questions about how we test, like how do we decide which of two or more test results for the same parameter is the right one if they differ? There's also still a lot of misperceptions about nutrients and the various roles of DOC in our systems and we are just beginning to understand what sponges are doing. This paper done by researchers at Southampton University in England found PO4 limitation in aquarium raised corals caused loss of coral biomass and promoted bleaching. Another video I would suggest is Forest Rohwer's introductory video to microbial processes and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2BMEfQGjU And we're just beginning to understand the roles of cryptic sponges, thesis work by de Goeij shows cryptic sponges are able to remove DOC much, much faster than bacteria (30 minutes versus 20 days).

So my advice is watch your parameters. Watch your animals. Don't chase numbers because there's no such thing as perfect water conditions.

Great post, thank you very much!

Unread 12/19/2017, 10:14 AM   #15
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Here is what I use as my definitive guide for tank chem:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

As long as I'm within these ranges with no major swings (relatively stable), I'm campin' happy...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 09:39 AM   #16
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

It's palys that may be toxic.....and only if you cut them, boil them, and then touch or eat the juice.......zoos, are not a problem.....palys can be distinguished by longer stems, substrate pieces in the stem....and a quick feeding response.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote