Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2020, 02:58 PM   #276
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Your vermetid problem is the worst I've seen...

I don't even really notice mine anymore so I don't worry about them. Occasionally, a coral will encrust over it so ill notice the irregular growth.
Not to crush your eggs int the basket..... But at the beginning my tank was like you said, and then there was a boom...out of control

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 11:07 AM   #277
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I wish a Reef safe cure could be found here, ive searched all over the WWW nada... im getting concerned, the vermetids i introduced from frags or live rock are slowly over taking my rocks both old & new & now on my corals undersides, and its accelerating......I can see the white baby snails at night crawling about but can't think of anything that might want to eat them? The patience required to keep these out has to be legendary in a QT, i can't imagine how one would restart a new tank & not eventually get them again if adding coral frags or any live rocks unless you QT for 2 yrs. im not that patient & its not a Public Aquarium, i didn't even see any until way over a yr. into my setup and i don't remember ever seeing anything on any frags or plugs after dipping them, i looked closely with a magnifying glass. These snails suck............Oddly they were never mentioned much on line nearly as much as other pests are. Mostly presented as watch them carefully or its a natural part of a well cycled tank, sigh.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 01:58 PM   #278
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
Not to crush your eggs int the basket..... But at the beginning my tank was like you said, and then there was a boom...out of control

Ive had them in my tank for probably 5 years or so. Ive restarted once in there and was unsuccessful in not carrying them over to my new tank, but its beven setup for over a year now and the population has stabilized. There are different species, some seem to be much more invasive. I probably have a couple hundred, but they dont grow that tall, and they dont seem to like to be densely populated. I also broadcast feed my tank with frozen food, so its definitely not that there isn't food for them to explode.

Unread 01/27/2020, 07:00 AM   #279
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
I wish a Reef safe cure could be found here, ive searched all over the WWW nada... im getting concerned, the vermetids i introduced from frags or live rock are slowly over taking my rocks both old & new & now on my corals undersides, and its accelerating......I can see the white baby snails at night crawling about but can't think of anything that might want to eat them? The patience required to keep these out has to be legendary in a QT, i can't imagine how one would restart a new tank & not eventually get them again if adding coral frags or any live rocks unless you QT for 2 yrs. im not that patient & its not a Public Aquarium, i didn't even see any until way over a yr. into my setup and i don't remember ever seeing anything on any frags or plugs after dipping them, i looked closely with a magnifying glass. These snails suck............Oddly they were never mentioned much on line nearly as much as other pests are. Mostly presented as watch them carefully or its a natural part of a well cycled tank, sigh.
The white babies that you see are the colonists snails they are about 1/4 " or smaller and they are good snails , the vermetid don't crawls,

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 01/27/2020, 08:33 AM   #280
drukkosz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I have been dosing zeovit coral snow for about 3 weeks now and am seeing a dramatic impact, time will tell.
+1 to this. I have been using if for close to a year now and see drastic reduction. still have few here and there but defiantly less that I started with.

I started to use it everyday, It will cloud your water and make sure your skimmer is running so it can pull all the junk out of your water.

I do it once a week now because my water is so clean and I have zero algae in my display.

drukkosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 09:54 AM   #281
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
The white babies that you see are the colonists snails they are about 1/4 " or smaller and they are good snails , the vermetid don't crawls,
I see, Im seeing 2 species now, one is round with what looks like 2 spirals on the shell & the other looks conical to a point like a Cerith snail with both white & tiny. Im going to start removing all i can catch after lights out hopefully that will help stall them. I have no algae in my tank so snails of any kind not really needed except Certihs. Tried to catch a few..... pretty easy with a feeder bulbs suction so im on a mission till a better solution comes our way.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2020, 08:44 PM   #282
dadummy
Registered Member

This thread is right on time. I didn't read the whole thing and don't feel the need too.

BLUE SPOT PUFFER (Canthigaster solandri)

I have battled the vermetids for years. Super glue the hole shut, fill hole with kalkwasser, cut them off with pruners, jab a stainless rod filed to a point through them. For every big one I killed there was a handful of small ones waiting to grow big enough to get killed. Feed the tank, stir up the sand , blow off the rocks and they showed up everywhere. Bumble bee snails, copperband, longnose bff, hermits, emeralds, sally light foot, nothing ate them. Hell I gave rock an acid bath, soaked it in bleach and the vermetids were still alive, relentless.
I have a 150g SPS dominate tank that was left neglected and overgrown for quite a while. I broke down a bio cube and through in a Valentini and a Blue Spot puffer. Sure they nip at sps and eat zoas but who cared. There was enough SPS where they could graze for days and no zoanthids in the tank. They definitely pick at sps, eat the edges off monti, bite the corallites off acro. The good thing was they would pick at one coral then move on to another while the other healed up. Like they knew if they ate the whole thing they would cut off there food supply, but could they be that smart?
The last two weeks I have been cleaning the tank, donated most of the coral to a research facility and noticed.
HOLY CRAP, Vermitids are gone!!. well not completely but not plague proportions. there's a few here and there. I saw for the first time today, the blue spot puffer latch on to a vermetid snail and bit through the tube. I actually heard it outside the tank. Pretty cool sight. Still yet to see the Valentini eat one , but will be watching closely.
I have been debating the past couple days whether to take the puffers out, since I am redoing everything and don't have much acro for them to nibble on. I will be the guinea pig and keep them in and see what they eat for sure. I would not recommend putting them in your prized reef tank with you speckled kraks or beach bum , but if you don't care if things get nibbled on it could be worth a shot?
I have seen them eat Montipora, Acropora, and Zoanthids.
I have not seen them eat but can't say they won't eat. Euphyllia(torch, hammer, frog), Stylophora, Cyphastrea, Leptastrea, Leptoseris, Pavona, Chalice, Psammocora., Duncan or Candy Canes or Bubble tip nems, Aiptasia

I will post pics of nibbled on sps frags that are in the tank now and document. Hopefully they survive, if not I and I don;t see another vermetid an LPS tank is fine

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2020, 09:05 PM   #283
dadummy
Registered Member

CD7F9BDD-AC25-41FE-B7A2-06D8EEA00E57 by daddeee, on Flickr

375DCD1E-265E-4562-80D9-DBBE175DDF9B by daddeee, on Flickr

4EE1C818-E2AA-46E7-B4F5-06AD59DE1E07 by daddeee, on Flickr

Unread 01/29/2020, 09:09 PM   #284
dadummy
Registered Member

8E7F9EB3-EF3F-4FD2-97A3-B3A2A877D688 by daddeee, on Flickr

FBC320BD-74FA-45AE-AC10-BE32D258D0C7 by daddeee, on Flickr

5C572296-6C44-4C6B-9A3A-1611A3256463 by daddeee, on Flickr

B962EDE3-DA6A-4DD6-BA3D-38A122EE4D8E by daddeee, on Flickr

Unread 02/08/2020, 10:15 PM   #285
zheka757
Registered Member

just spend about 2+ hours reading this whole thread....
SO to sum this up, no chemical is reef safe as of yet?! and truthfully no fish or crab/shrimp/snail is known to eat them, and for us reefers to produce same results over and over again.
Honestly as much as i use to hate them, i started to like them. at the beginning when they started to spread they use to annoy my corals, specially lps. But now i see their webs touching corals and corals don't seem to mind it anymore.
So the only problem is; that i got thousands of these snails skeletons all over my 500 gallon 8 feet long tank that i just leaned to accept them as part of the creatures God created. Besides they do some good to filter our tanks anyways.
Also one more good thing "possible" - i think they eat ick also! Just think about it. when ick free swimming around the tank. or when they ready to attach to any hard surface, same surface that is covered by v-snails, dont you guys think they will be caught by v-snails webs? I say it because i know i had ick in my tank. and i have two fish that is most known to have ick. Achilles tang and hippo blue tang. and i know they use to have ick on them, and now i dont see case of ich in my tank for over a year now. And i just sold my powder blue and powder brown tangs just because they All started to be very aggressive towards each other. im saying this because with all that aggression and stress in fish i still didn't see any ick, could it be thanks to these ugly looking vermetid snails? im inclined to think so!

Last edited by zheka757; 02/08/2020 at 10:26 PM.
zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 09:56 AM   #286
Lacy
Ex FMAS bod member

Has anyone tried emerald crabs?

Current Tank Info: 180 gal mixed reef
Lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 10:13 AM   #287
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
Has anyone tried emerald crabs?
My emerald crabs never showed interest in them. Also, for some reason emerald crabs never last long in my tanks.

Parrot fish, triggers, puffers, and the like will likely eat vermetids with delight but quite likely everything else aside from fish as well...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 10:24 AM   #288
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
My emerald crabs never showed interest in them. Also, for some reason emerald crabs never last long in my tanks.

Parrot fish, triggers, puffers, and the like will likely eat vermetids with delight but quite likely everything else aside from fish as well...

I've been looking at a clown trigger... but in a 225SPS tank, a clown trigger is kinda like herpes, once you get it you have it for life.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 10:27 AM   #289
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka757 View Post
just spend about 2+ hours reading this whole thread....
SO to sum this up, no chemical is reef safe as of yet?! and truthfully no fish or crab/shrimp/snail is known to eat them, and for us reefers to produce same results over and over again.
Honestly as much as i use to hate them, i started to like them. at the beginning when they started to spread they use to annoy my corals, specially lps. But now i see their webs touching corals and corals don't seem to mind it anymore.
So the only problem is; that i got thousands of these snails skeletons all over my 500 gallon 8 feet long tank that i just leaned to accept them as part of the creatures God created. Besides they do some good to filter our tanks anyways.
Also one more good thing "possible" - i think they eat ick also! Just think about it. when ick free swimming around the tank. or when they ready to attach to any hard surface, same surface that is covered by v-snails, dont you guys think they will be caught by v-snails webs? I say it because i know i had ick in my tank. and i have two fish that is most known to have ick. Achilles tang and hippo blue tang. and i know they use to have ick on them, and now i dont see case of ich in my tank for over a year now. And i just sold my powder blue and powder brown tangs just because they All started to be very aggressive towards each other. im saying this because with all that aggression and stress in fish i still didn't see any ick, could it be thanks to these ugly looking vermetid snails? im inclined to think so!
Well No! They are a plague
Even if they are God's creatures,
Like malaria, measles , chickenpox,and so on.
I did cook my rocks nothing is alive after that kind of bath, I did post few pictures of the infestation of the snails

Unread 02/19/2020, 12:52 PM   #290
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Now, in a dedicated system these guys could actually do good. I mean, they are reef-building organisms after all. In the Mediterranean these snails, feather duster worms, and coralline algae are the primary organisms to build reefs and create life rock. Given how fast they can grow even under suboptimal conditions could make them a prime choice to create tank grown life rock with great porosity, natural shape, and a very low dry weight.
Of course you would have to sterilize the so created rocks and then revive them with actually desirable organisms in a vermetid free system.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 02/29/2020, 12:05 PM   #291
biecacka
Registered Member

When I put my rocks in an acid bath it killed them all. Used my rock for 4-5 months while my tank was being built. They can come in on frags, corals, rock, heck it seems as if they can just magically appear!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2020, 11:23 PM   #292
Isayso
Registered Member

Yes. Looks like magic ��

Unread 03/01/2020, 01:43 AM   #293
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Two weeks ago I noticed several of the large kind on a freshly imported maricultured tennis-ball-sized Acropora colony. There were at least 2 huge ones on the front of the base, possibly more on the whole base. I think this is among the primary ways they come into the hobby (never had actually got them with live rock in the past).
If the stores do not kill them right away the snails will spawn and that way they infest the store's coral system and then the frag plugs... I've seen babies and juveniles on frags.
Unfortunately, if the larva had settled just recently and its tube isn't large enough to be spotted, they can easily slip by even if you check for them. That's one of the reasons why I generally prefer to have fresh-cut frags without plug or remove the frag if possible.

Unread 03/02/2020, 10:50 AM   #294
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I've been looking at a clown trigger... but in a 225SPS tank, a clown trigger is kinda like herpes, once you get it you have it for life.
It's more like fighting the plague with cholera - one is as bad as the other.

Unread 03/02/2020, 11:11 AM   #295
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadummy View Post
This thread is right on time. I didn't read the whole thing and don't feel the need too.

BLUE SPOT PUFFER (Canthigaster solandri)

That fish may not be the ideal way of fighting them in a tank with corals, but it is certainly a way to clear rocks of these pests in a separate tank. Plus I like puffers.

Unread 03/03/2020, 07:06 AM   #296
McPuff
Registered Member

I'll reiterate that bumble bee snails ARE effective but seemingly only against the small variety of vermetid. The large ones... I chop them down with fragging tools. Fish will eat them once you chop them off the rocks (wrasses, tangs, TRIGGERS, PUFFERS!).

Side note, I was going to move a rock in my lagoon and cut sliced by a large vermetid I didn't see behind the rock. Just like a scalpel. I've got a half-moon shaped incision on the end of my ring finger now. The vermetid will be trigger food this afternoon. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2020, 12:31 PM   #297
Sk8r
RC Mod

I had a pretty healthy population of them until I emergency-housed a purple tang for a few weeks. Rascal ate them all. I can't say that's a tang thing, and that fish had some dietary issues: I was dosing his food; but he did seem to thrive on the tank's wildlife.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2020, 11:32 PM   #298
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I'll reiterate that bumble bee snails ARE effective but seemingly only against the small variety of vermetid. The large ones... I chop them down with fragging tools. Fish will eat them once you chop them off the rocks (wrasses, tangs, TRIGGERS, PUFFERS!).
If Bumblebee snails eat the small ones they likely also go after the babies of the large which is already great news.
I'm currently working on sourcing the snails that eat the large vermetids. They should actually be not too hard to find in the tropical regions of the Indian and Pacific oceans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I had a pretty healthy population of them until I emergency-housed a purple tang for a few weeks. Rascal ate them all. I can't say that's a tang thing, and that fish had some dietary issues: I was dosing his food; but he did seem to thrive on the tank's wildlife.
How did the tang bite through the hard tubes these pests build? Did he break those tubes down or did he wait until they stuck their heads out?

Unread 03/11/2020, 05:20 AM   #299
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Sk8r, not doubting your experience with the Purple Tang, but I have one in my 120, been there almost 2 years, and he's never touched any that I have.
Big or small. He pays no nevermind to them even when their feeding threads are extended.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614

Last edited by Member No. 1; 03/11/2020 at 08:00 AM.
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2020, 07:49 AM   #300
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

ThRoewer,
Let us know if you find them please.