Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2020, 03:29 PM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

Frogspawn Expelling Stuffs

I've noticed for the past couple days around 2pm my frogspawn, after looking happy and healthy all day long will shrink up and begin expelling waste.

This is halfway through the high time in my lighting cycle (AP700 40%, 12" off the water). There is no spectrum change on my light cycle that would trigger this.

Frogspawn is about 1/3 of the way up in the tank and 1/3 of the way off center to the right. I'll upload pictures shortly.

I'm just curious if this means my lighting is too high or if my recent feeding 2 days ago was too aggressive. I did some directed feeding of reef roids to the frogspawn on Sunday. First time I fed it.

Odd thing for me is that it has happened at nearly the exact time each day.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration

Last edited by Boochika; 04/21/2020 at 10:12 PM.
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Offhand I'd say it's expelling zooxanthellae. It looks retracted and puckered.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Offhand I'd say it's expelling zooxanthellae. It looks retracted and puckered.
That's what I thought too, especially since it's brown stringy stuff. Do you think my lighting is too high or it's adjusting to the lighting?

Seems happy all day before and after this. Although it's not totally expanded.

Here is a picture of it 'happy'

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Unread 04/24/2020, 03:29 PM   #4
heritage
Registered Member

To much light. Parts of it look bleached.
Is this a new coral ?

Unread 04/24/2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Boochika
Registered Member

I think it could be octospawn based off how many polyps per tentacles. I finally moved it today to the substrate on a rock lower on the corner of my tank as it seemed to be expelling jibe each day at the same time.

I'm going to leave it for a week and see how it goes.

Does this lookike too much flow for it?

https://youtu.be/QVLXw_RmGmw

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/24/2020, 06:27 PM   #6
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Maybe it's an octo, but I'm not feeling it. Either way, it is no where near what it could be. I don't wish to harsh your joy, but IMHO, it's closer to sad than happy. I totally think you can get it to be happy.

As mentioned by heritage, lighting could be an issue. How long is your light cycle? Is it possible to reduce white some?

How is your water quality? What are your alk, calcium and mag levels?

Here are a couple shots of my frogspawn.

Unread 04/24/2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Maybe it's an octo, but I'm not feeling it. Either way, it is no where near what it could be. I don't wish to harsh your joy, but IMHO, it's closer to sad than happy. I totally think you can get it to be happy.

As mentioned by heritage, lighting could be an issue. How long is your light cycle? Is it possible to reduce white some?

How is your water quality? What are your alk, calcium and mag levels?

Here are a couple shots of my frogspawn.

I know. Bumming on it. I've had it almost 2 weeks that's as much as it opens with the lights on.

I have a kessil ap700 running at 40%. About a foot off the water.

As far as white light goes I hardly have any white spectrum as I stay in the 'blue' on the spectrum wheel.

My alk is around 8 +/- .1 I'd say. Calcium around 420. PH around 8 after I added kalk few weeks back. No nitrates and .03 po4. 1.0256 salinity. My mag is right around 1350.

I really want this guy to work out I've overhauled my tank and got everything back on track. I measured my par and everything.

Unread 04/24/2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Reef Bass
colors and textures

2 weeks is not long. Yes, ideally it could have adjusted and been more inflated in that time. But that's not the case.

I am sensing your desire for things to go well. That's not unrealistic yet.

Euphyllia (frogspawn, hammers, torches) are fairly resilient and tolerant of temporary imperfections in lighting and water chemistry.

Your reported alk, ca and mag values are roughly where they should be. It's a bit odd to have zero nitrates and 0.03 phosphates. I would expect non zero nitrates then.

What par reading do you estimate is hitting its current location?

How are you measuring your salinity?

Are you skimming? Are you doing water changes?

Running carbon?

Just trying to understand your maintenance.

Oh, and based on your video and retracted appearance, not too much flow. I would like to see how it looks when extended before making a definitive flow call.

Unread 04/24/2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Boochika
Registered Member

Par reading at curent location is around 120. I am skimming and emptying cup about every 4-7 days.

Measure salinity with an American marine digital probe.

Water changes every 2 weeks of natural sea water from Scripps oceanography.

I'm not running carbon but I'm dosing nopox 3ml per day. Slowing tailoring down each week to see if I can detect some nitrate.

I'll try to get another video with it extended I the flow. Usually pretty gentle back and forth sway then an abrupt wiggle at the tips. The whole thing isn't whipping back and forth though.

Unread 05/23/2020, 10:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

It’s safe to stop the Nopox for a time and let your nitrates come back a bit, in fact I would recommend it as long as your not dealing with an algae infestation. At 3 mils a day you can stop and test on the second or third day, I have done this several times. Nopox has a latency factor to it I have noticed. 120 par is fine for your frogspawn but if it is new try putting it in a no to low flow area and 75 par as they are sensitive to flow issues in my experience.

907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2020, 11:00 AM   #11
Boochika
Registered Member

I did stop and nitrates have returned. Unfortunately I lost the frogspawn and an Acan. I believe there is some sort of pathogen or contaminate in my tank ruining all my LPS.

ICP test was fine as well as my own tests. I've had poly filters in for a week seemingly to no avail. I will continue water changes until I get 120% water change from last month and see if I can rid myself of the pathogen. Maybe some sort of small worm or something. There are some holes in my favites skeleton and lobo skeleton as well. They are nearly dead as well. Barely hanging on.

Unread 06/02/2020, 09:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear this. I had a tank of LPS melt down once and I know the frustration your feeling. I gave up for a while and then rebooted and things seem to be going well. Like you I believe something infected my tank as there was no real explanation I could find, I can only theorize.

Unread 06/02/2020, 12:14 PM   #13
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907 View Post
I am sorry to hear this. I had a tank of LPS melt down once and I know the frustration your feeling. I gave up for a while and then rebooted and things seem to be going well. Like you I believe something infected my tank as there was no real explanation I could find, I can only theorize.
Thanks 907. I've changed about 120% of my water over the past month or so and maybe lost $500 worth of corals but things seem to be looking up.

I bought 1 single duncan frag as a test and it's the happiest coral I've seen in my tank in 6 months. Fingers crossed this is a sign of things to come. I was on the verge of quitting completely.

Unread 06/02/2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

I feel your pain. After I lost all my euphyllia, some you cant even get anymore, I was sick to my stomach. I watched as the first one became infected with brown jelly and moved him to QT but this didn't stop the spread. It literally wiped a couple thousand dollars worth of coral over the next month. I tried dipping, medicating and everything under the sun to save them but in the end I should have medicated myself and dipped my head in the toilet, it would have been easier, rofl.

I let the tank sit after that and gave up. It grew algae so thick you couldn't see through the glass anymore. I was going to tear it down but hate to be beaten, so last second I decided to do a reboot. Today my Duncans are popping new heads like crazy and my other ups seem very happy. I have not however, lost that sense of nervousness and am not sure I ever will as I am not entirely sure what caused this.

Unread 06/02/2020, 01:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

I will say this, the issues started after I purchased a new colony from a well known large vendor (LA/DD), I did quarantine but as soon as I transferred it the issues began. I won't buy from them because of that and the issues with their fish. I have a select few vendors that I buy from and an LFS that has a stringent quarantine process. The hobby has changed over the years and because of its popularity and lack of regulation many vendors push products they shouldn't be are are unethical (think Coraline in a bottle). Keep it simple and stick with a program that gives your tank stability. Today I can effect a change in my tank by changing a parameter and know what will happen. For example When I see signs of cyno, I can test my parameters and dose nitrates if need be to reduce P04 and watch the Cyno go away. You'll get a rhythm once your system stabilizes. If I can help at all just give me a shout out.