Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

October 2017-Reefer of the Month-hkgar!

What a journey it has been. The road from there to here has had some bumps and a lot of sharp curves. Sometimes difficult to navigate.
I got my first tank in 2002 while living in Matlacha Florida (near Cape Coral). A 40B and used the Berlin system, whatever that is, for filtration. First mistake was letting the LFS owner convince me to add a Sea Apple. I don’t remember what happened to it but at least it didn’t pollute my tank. Like most beginners, it was a soft coral tank.
In 2004 I decided to move back to my home state of Michigan and in September flew to Michigan and purchased a home in DeWitt. Three weeks later in Florida we got hit by Hurricane Charlie and the 3 day power loss pretty much destroyed the tank. Tried to get a generator but there were none to be had and the tank was gone in 24 hours. Packed up the rock and equipment and moved it and the tank plus my girl friend a dog and a cat to Michigan. Probably the power loss prevented me from killing everything (from the tank – not the GF,cat and dog) on the move. With the house plants in the back of the pickup we found a Gecko when we got to Michigan so, of course, had to get it a home.

Got the tank set back up and cycled the salvaged rock and got it going again. About 2 years later I made my first upgrade to a 90 gallon and added some blue mushrooms, which in a couple years completely overtook the tank. We have a pretty good LFS where I am now and the owner gave me store credit for the mushrooms and new rock for the rock they were attached to. Thus began my move to stonies. After about 3 years I had a beautiful SPS tank so I decided it could be even better if I upgraded to a 180 and it was to go where the 90 was located. I made up several containers of new water for the new tank and in preparation for the upgrade moved all the fish and coral to the containers. I got the new tank set up after a day or two and low and behold lost all the fish except a yellow tang – that I shouldn’t have had in a 90-and coral.
After a year or so, my external skimmer cracked and the next thing I know I had about 15-20 gallons of water on the floor and leaking into the basement and into the finished theater room. The dry wall ceiling came down. The good news was this allowed me to move my sump operation to the basement location. I couldn’t do it before as the plumbing needed to go across the finished room into the unfinished portion of the basement.
I had, unknowingly, been playing Russian roulette and when I added a Powder Blue Tang from my LFS I got hit with a major outbreak of Ick and lost 9 of 11 fish. One of the survivors was the Yellow tang previously mentioned. (One morning I came down stairs and found the poor guy that had survived so much attached to an MP40, didn’t survive that one).
It has been a great journey and I have enjoyed it even with the troubles. Always learning, sometimes too late. Should have done more of what I often advice others to do – read and then read some more.
I don’t even want to talk about my progression with lighting.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

Unread 10/01/2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

IMG_5141.jpg

Thanks for all you have contributed to making Reef Central what it is.

Description of RC ROTM:

In appreciation and honor of the members that regularly contribute to our discussion forums, we would like to acknowledge a Reefer each month that stands out as exceptional for their outstanding service to others. This person will be selected by the Reef Central Staff, based on their willingness to help others in response to questions, giving advice, and overall disposition. The honoree will be given the Reef Central ROTM tag, that will appear above their avatar and will follow them for one year after being awarded. This will not only demonstrate to others that you have been chosen as a trustworthy source of information, but also as a positive role model for others to emulate. Additionally, we are pleased to upgrade your membership to "premium" for one year.

We look forward to honoring one person, each month, by highlighting them in the Reef Discussion and New to the Hobby Forums. This will include a recent photograph of yourself, or your avatar if you prefer not to show your actual face, along with what you love about the hobby of reef keeping and why you have chosen Reef Central to be your home. Each month the face and paragraph of the ROTM will change, but you can forever hold the honor of knowing that you were one of the chosen few to have earned this title and our respect as a member in great standing.

Best Regards,

The RC Staff

Unread 10/03/2017, 02:31 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Of all the bumps and curve I forgot to add the biggest one.

The time my Zoa's sent me to the hospital for 3 days.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 09:53 AM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Congrats and being the ROTM, very nice tank. I love the Atlantic Blue Tang I think that is what it is called.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 10:20 AM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Thank you. Yes, Atlantic Blue Tang, sometimes called a Caribbean Blue

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 10/04/2017, 10:48 AM   #7
awais98
SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Thank you. Yes, Atlantic Blue Tang, sometimes called a Caribbean Blue

Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 240DT SPS DOMINANT
awais98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 07:16 AM   #8
cincyjim
Registered Member

Congrats!!!!! Very nice looking tank!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 01:44 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Thank you to all

Unread 10/10/2017, 04:28 PM   #10
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Congratulations on a well deserved honor, you are one of the people I paid attention to in my early days in this hobby. Thank you for all you do.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 05:16 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Congratulations on a well deserved honor, you are one of the people I paid attention to in my early days in this hobby. Thank you for all you do.
wow, thanks for the great compilment. but you have been at this only two less years than me and way back when you started I knew nothing.

Oh, and you have 10k more posts than me. so, congrats on your being team RC member.

Unread 10/10/2017, 05:30 PM   #12
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quality over quantity Gary, I learned after all of these years that I don’t really know much at all.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:03 AM   #13
nanosteve309
Registered Member

Congrats! Glad you didn't give up after all the road bumps!

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 01:55 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Thank you Steve

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Beautiful tank!
What are you running filter wise? (If you dont mind me asking)

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Daddi0
Registered Member

Congrats! You give us newbies something to strive for!

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 02:53 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Beautiful tank!
What are you running filter wise? (If you dont mind me asking)
I use a skimmer (MVX 36), ATS (algae turf scrubber), and dose carbon 50/50 vodka/vinegar) and of course live rock and sand. Don't really have a "filter", just a filtering system.

Unread 11/21/2017, 02:58 PM   #18
hkgar
Registered Member

Let me state, that allthough almost all, if not all, of us ROTM winners, post pictures of our tanks, that is from personal ego and pride . Our tanks have nothing to do with the award.

Before I won, i wondered how you could nominate your tank for Reef of the month. Then I won "reefer of the month". The award finds you.

For those who make the decision, Thank You for the honor. I hope that I will continue to live up to the model.

Unread 11/21/2017, 10:27 PM   #19
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
I use a skimmer (MVX 36), ATS (algae turf scrubber), and dose carbon 50/50 vodka/vinegar) and of course live rock and sand. Don't really have a "filter", just a filtering system.
Thanks!

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:14 AM   #20
McPuff
Registered Member

Very nice system! And I really like the Atlantic Blue... the true blue tang in my opinion. I feel these are an underappreciated tang but they are absolutely beautiful.

I see you are close to me, here in Michigan! Great to see fellow MI reef keepers.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:32 AM   #21
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Very nice system! And I really like the Atlantic Blue... the true blue tang in my opinion. I feel these are an underappreciated tang but they are absolutely beautiful.

I see you are close to me, here in Michigan! Great to see fellow MI reef keepers.
Thank you. I do enjoy the Atlantic Blue, but wonder if your comments are for my Purple Tang which is the fish in the last picture. There is a picture (fourth picture) of the Atlantic but he doesn't have the bright yellow tail.

Where in Michigan are you?

Unread 12/05/2017, 10:46 AM   #22
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you. I do enjoy the Atlantic Blue, but wonder if your comments are for my Purple Tang which is the fish in the last picture. There is a picture (fourth picture) of the Atlantic but he doesn't have the bright yellow tail.

Where in Michigan are you?
Nah, the purple tangs are pretty common so I'm not a huge fan actually. It's the Atlantic blue I like. Especially seeing them in the wild, they are incredible. Yours looks like it's pretty darn big too!

I'm in Plymouth so not too far away.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 12:57 PM   #23
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Nah, the purple tangs are pretty common so I'm not a huge fan actually. It's the Atlantic blue I like. Especially seeing them in the wild, they are incredible. Yours looks like it's pretty darn big too!

I'm in Plymouth so not too far away.
Yup, got him as a yellow juvenile about the size of a half dollar. Now about 6 inches.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tAz5fjJQ0JyFMleA3

Unread 02/27/2018, 10:20 PM   #24
Reeferman127
Registered Member

Congrats on the. Reefer of the month , your tank looks beautiful.. i seen you have a red montipora, i have a few and my big cluster is starting to turn white and looks like it diving . Would you have any suggestions ?

Reeferman127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 03:09 PM   #25
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferman127 View Post
Congrats on the. Reefer of the month , your tank looks beautiful.. i seen you have a red montipora, i have a few and my big cluster is starting to turn white and looks like it diving . Would you have any suggestions ?
Welcome to Reef Central. How long have you been reefing?

There are so many possibilities. Check out the SPS forum on this site and raise your question there.
Nutrient levels
Tank age
water parameters
lights
etc, etc