Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2017, 08:21 AM   #276
BlackburnD
Registered Member

Ok, so currently I don't have an aquarium. I have been planning to get back into this after being away for 10 years, but all my reading lately has me qustioning it.

ICH.... So you start up a new tank with sand and rock, it cycles, and then I have wait 72 Days until I can introduce ANYTHING (corals, fish, inverts) new into the tank. Each and every fish should be put into a QT tank and observed for 4 weeks. If ich appears at which point am I suppose to transfer to yet another QT for this transfer method to be effective? How many times am I transfering and changing fresh water while merely quessing what stage the ICH is in and if it is just going with the fish from tank to tank? Is the plan to to have a fish in QT ich symptom free for 72 days?

But wait there's more! I also have to QT each and every since coral I wish to put in my tank which means I need yet at least one more tank with good lighting for the purpose of coral QT. If I want to QT more than one they have to go in at same time, or start the timer over. How long is this waiting period? My guess would be 72 days.....

Who in the world has time, money, and space for this? I am counting at least 4 completely separate system tanks up and running for this. I assume each would need to be around 3 gallons each.

Am I crazy?

Please correct anything I stated incorrectly here.

BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 08:06 PM   #277
MLOPEZ
Registered Member

This product didn't work for me and I used it for 25 days .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLOPEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 09:58 PM   #278
titaniumauto
Registered Member

anyone treat achilles tang with cupramine without the fish dying ?

titaniumauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 09:59 PM   #279
titaniumauto
Registered Member

my achilles is in hypo and it is not working .. im on day 8 and it just keeps worse

titaniumauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:58 AM   #280
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Just to inform, there is a new treatment for Cryptocaryon irritans being developed for aquaculture ... it seems able to eradicate the parasite in the fish at 100% without harm to the fish. Follow the link:

Antiparasitic effect of dietary Romet®30 (SDMX–OMP) against ciliate Cryptocaryon irritans infection in the red sea bream Pagrus majorand tiger puffer Takifugu rubripes

"Highlights
► Romet®30 is Sulfadimethoxine–Ormetoprim (SDMX–OMP) combination. ► In-feed Romet®30 had a therapeutic effect against C. irritans infection. ► The suitable dose of Romet®30 was 50 mg/kg BW/day. ► The suitable duration of administration was 14 consecutive days. ► This dosing condition of Romet®30 was practically useful for aquaculture."

Sulfadimethoxine-Ormetoprim (SDMX-OMP) is a broad-spectrum microbicide chemotherapeutic agent, widely used in the treatment of dogs and cats, now fish ... has the potential to alter the biological filter if used directly in DT. Its possible safe use can be conveyed in food at the doses recommended in this work.

There is no recognized experience, which I have found, of safe use in reef tanks. but I thought it might serve, at first, to treat quarantined fish and ensure they do not carry parasites into the aquarium.

This is the data sheet of the aquaculture specific formula in English: ROMET® 30

Best regards

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:01 AM   #281
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Links:

Antiparasitic effect of dietary Romet®30 (SDMX–OMP) against ciliate Cryptocaryon irritans infection in the red sea bream Pagrus majorand tiger puffer Takifugu rubripes

This is the data sheet of the aquaculture specific formula in English: ROMET® 30

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 01:50 PM   #282
Skittlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackburnD View Post
Ok, so currently I don't have an aquarium. I have been planning to get back into this after being away for 10 years, but all my reading lately has me qustioning it.

ICH.... So you start up a new tank with sand and rock, it cycles, and then I have wait 72 Days until I can introduce ANYTHING (corals, fish, inverts) new into the tank. Each and every fish should be put into a QT tank and observed for 4 weeks. If ich appears at which point am I suppose to transfer to yet another QT for this transfer method to be effective? How many times am I transfering and changing fresh water while merely quessing what stage the ICH is in and if it is just going with the fish from tank to tank? Is the plan to to have a fish in QT ich symptom free for 72 days?

But wait there's more! I also have to QT each and every since coral I wish to put in my tank which means I need yet at least one more tank with good lighting for the purpose of coral QT. If I want to QT more than one they have to go in at same time, or start the timer over. How long is this waiting period? My guess would be 72 days.....

Who in the world has time, money, and space for this? I am counting at least 4 completely separate system tanks up and running for this. I assume each would need to be around 3 gallons each.

Am I crazy?

Please correct anything I stated incorrectly here.

when i got into tank hobby 6 years ago i just had a nano, then went to a 30 bio soon after... i did not take long to establish a solid system. through time i got another 30 and a 19 gal (saltwater reef) the LFS i go through is awesome though. and offer really good advice. Of course it depends on the size of the system you would like to start with, and what you actually want to do with it. but my tank cycled fast and i was putting fish and coral in it as soon as two weeks with very little interaction and letting the ecosys establish itself. I would encourage it.

Skittlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 09:27 AM   #283
cjohn214
Registered Member

It is a painful process. We quarantined our first 2 fish for 6 weeks, no signs of ich so moved them to the main tank. Bought new fish to qt then when we had waited the 6 weeks, we put them in the main and boom!.. ich outbreak. So we took tried hypo salinity method, still had ich when cycle was finished. So we caught them all and treated with copper in qt tank for 72 days. When they were all put back in we waited a few weeks and the ich showed up again... it's a headache. We gave up and decided to just let it run the course as it was stressing the fish out badly being moved and treated with different things.

cjohn214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 12:46 AM   #284
diverunder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn214 View Post
It is a painful process. We quarantined our first 2 fish for 6 weeks, no signs of ich so moved them to the main tank. Bought new fish to qt then when we had waited the 6 weeks, we put them in the main and boom!.. ich outbreak. So we took tried hypo salinity method, still had ich when cycle was finished. So we caught them all and treated with copper in qt tank for 72 days. When they were all put back in we waited a few weeks and the ich showed up again... it's a headache. We gave up and decided to just let it run the course as it was stressing the fish out badly being moved and treated with different things.
Once you introduce the ich bacteria into your tank that's it, which you did when you added the second batch of fish. Was your copper at the proper levels where they should be? Suppose to be a 1 to 2 ppm. Your screwed although I heard that ich has a 11 month life span. Ich is a true mystery. I've got it myself and whenever my levels get too high the fish get stressed out and back comes the ich. I just lost half my fish from ich but I let my nitrates get too high and stressed everyone out starting a ich outbreak and BOOMB! All gone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

diverunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2019, 04:24 PM   #285
TopDogFish
Registered Member

Remove 50% water and
Lower sallinity to 1.009 and install uv sterilizer.
Repeat removing water at 20% percent keeping salinity at 1.009 measured with a hydrometer. no swing arm!
don't ever use medications no matter what.

TopDogFish is offline   Reply With Quote