Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2017, 01:33 AM   #1
awais98
SPS

Any Good Way to vacuum a Rocks and sane in a 24" deep DT

Was wondering what do every one use to vaccum the sand bed in a 24" deep DT.
Also want to vacuum debris built up from the rocks.

What is the most efficient way to do it?
Has anyone found an efficient way to do it?

Simply blowing with turkey baster, kills my hand and then its dirty all over the DT and it just settles somewhere else.

I do have the Eheim vacuum but still not good enough.... too much labor and doesnt help sucking debris from the rocks....
Mine is a 8' 240G tank...with a lot of rock work

Was thinking some kind a power head with intake attached to a hose and using it as a vacuum......

Current Tank Info: 240DT SPS DOMINANT
awais98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 06:40 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Just a standard siphon and typical gravel cleaning tube from any pet store is what I use. You can try turning off the flow, blowing the rocks off, then using the siphon to vacuum the sand bed. There is a touch of manual labor involved obviously.

My tank/stand are taller than most thus I simply use a step ladder so I can reach the bottom.

Unread 12/08/2017, 07:59 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Python Siphon for me. They have tubes everywhere form about 12" up to 36". (maybe longer?)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 10:41 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Do you have filter socks in your sump? If so, before you plan to switch them out, use the powerhead method to blow detritus off of your rocks and let the filter socks capture it.

It also sounds like you may want to add more flow behind your rockwork to prevent detritus from collecting. It may be as simple as hiding a few powerheads and pointing them down towards the bottom of the tank.

Last edited by D-Nak; 12/09/2017 at 09:02 AM.
D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 01:50 AM   #5
awais98
SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Do you have filter socks in your sump? If so, before you plan to switch them out, use the powerhead method to blow detritus off of your rocks and let the filter socks capture it.

It also sounds like you way want to add more flow behind your rockwork to prevent detritus from collecting. It may be as simple as hiding a few powerheads and pointing them down towards the bottom of the tank.

I have 2 maxpect gyre xf250
I have them vertical on diagonally opposite corners..... I think I have good flow but I see there are so many places at the bottom that the flow isn’t good enough to suspend detritus continuously....

What power heads do people recommend lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/09/2017, 02:48 AM   #6
WVfishguy
Registered Member

D-Nak makes a great point. It sounds as if you need much more water movement. If you have a lot of detritus building up, you may need to increase water flow, if simply to keep 02 levels high.

Others here might want to advise on the best water pumps to use. I'll tell you this - you never save money by scrimping on equipment. Cheap stuff always fails, sooner than later.

Believe, I know,

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 01:30 PM   #7
lionfish300
Registered Member

I use a MJ1200 to blow my rocks and let filter socks catch what go down the overflow boxes and vacuum sand bed

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 03:26 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

I made a vacuum out of a an old small maxi-jet. The one that has a projection on the intake side. Attach it to a stick. I attached a long piece of flexible tubing to the output. I clip that on the side of my sump in the drain chamber. That chamber empties into the socks. On the input side of the pump I attached the fat piece from a gravel vac. You could prob use a water bottle with the bottom cut off. I had to drill a few holes the fat piece to allow for more water to enter because it sucked up too much sand. I found this link for something similar;
http://www.instructables.com/id/Powe...for-aquariums/

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 04:12 PM   #9
awais98
SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
D-Nak makes a great point. It sounds as if you need much more water movement. If you have a lot of detritus building up, you may need to increase water flow, if simply to keep 02 levels high.

Others here might want to advise on the best water pumps to use. I'll tell you this - you never save money by scrimping on equipment. Cheap stuff always fails, sooner than later.

Believe, I know,

I don’t think I have issues with O2
Have oversized skimmer and the drain in sump gets splashed too.
I know and I agree: no skimping on the quality of equipments!!

Each Gyre 250 moves 5300 gph and I have 2 of these
So I don’t think it’s the flow
I think it’s the rock work that hinders the flow!!
I’ll see if I can do something with the rock work....
if not then get I’ll get 2 more gyres!!

Unread 12/09/2017, 04:15 PM   #10
awais98
SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
I made a vacuum out of a an old small maxi-jet. The one that has a projection on the intake side. Attach it to a stick. I attached a long piece of flexible tubing to the output. I clip that on the side of my sump in the drain chamber. That chamber empties into the socks. On the input side of the pump I attached the fat piece from a gravel vac. You could prob use a water bottle with the bottom cut off. I had to drill a few holes the fat piece to allow for more water to enter because it sucked up too much sand. I found this link for something similar;
http://www.instructables.com/id/Powe...for-aquariums/

I do have the Eheim motorized vacuum.... great for sand but not good for the rock debris.....
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-quick-vac-pro.html

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:14 PM   #11
saf1
Registered Member

Turkey baster the rocks, ledges, crevasses, if you can. Power head like what was already suggested (low power one with a hose attached works). Sand, just skim it. Good advise in the thread so plenty to choose from.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote