Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 10:57 AM   #1
StaySalty
Registered Member

?'s regarding Salifert Flatworm eXit treatment!

So I have somewhat of a flatworm problem atm. It doesn't seem to be major comapared to the videos I've seen (the flatworms are tiny and haven't seen too many), but I wanna nip this in the butt before it gets outta hand.

The thing is, my sump is currently offline (it needs a huge plumbing overhaul, cleaning etc since the tank was neglected for a while) so I don't have a place to put my dual BRS carbon/gfo reactor in.

Now the Flatworm exit states that you should have activated carbon in a canister ready to go after you do the treatment and a water change. Since my sump is offline, can i just hang a bag of chemipure strait inside the tank? Since it's not going to be as efficient as carbon in a canister or chemipure inline somewhere in the sump, should I use 2 bags?

StaySalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Scott07
Registered Member

I would probably get a cheap hang on back filter, if you don't have one laying around already, and run the carbon in that. Hanging a bag or bags in the display might work, but you might run into other problems like releasing carbon dust into your tank. I'd also consider running your reactor from the display with some longer-ish tubing and a maxijet while you need to run carbon after the treatment. Good luck! I've used flatworm exit a few times myself in the past and not had any major problems from the treatment. It did the trick for me.

Unread 12/15/2017, 07:58 AM   #3
StaySalty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott07 View Post
I would probably get a cheap hang on back filter, if you don't have one laying around already, and run the carbon in that. Hanging a bag or bags in the display might work, but you might run into other problems like releasing carbon dust into your tank. I'd also consider running your reactor from the display with some longer-ish tubing and a maxijet while you need to run carbon after the treatment. Good luck! I've used flatworm exit a few times myself in the past and not had any major problems from the treatment. It did the trick for me.
Great thank you!

StaySalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 12:52 PM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

I've used the stuff multiple times, increasing the dosage with each treatment and they always come back. It never gets all of them, at least not for me. I've had better luck with Chrysiptera genus damsels and blue stripe pipefish. They aren't really an issue for the most part unless they get to plague proportions and start smothering corals. That's not going to happen if your water quality is in check. I won't use Flatworm Exit again.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 01:07 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatter View Post
I've used the stuff multiple times, increasing the dosage with each treatment and they always come back. It never gets all of them, at least not for me. I've had better luck with Chrysiptera genus damsels and blue stripe pipefish. They aren't really an issue for the most part unless they get to plague proportions and start smothering corals. That's not going to happen if your water quality is in check. I won't use Flatworm Exit again.
^^^This^^^

For me, the cure was a pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses. FWE knocked them back, but the ones it didn't kill just became more resistant to the medication.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote