Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 10:34 AM   #376
knx873
Registered Member

Thanks for the Reply. That sound like a good idea how thick do you apply the FSB and what kind of epoxy do you use? Also do you attach the HDPE to the glass? Can I leave it just plain glass?

knx873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 11:31 AM   #377
Reefin' Dude
Registered Member

in the past i have used the FamoWood brand clear table top epoxy. the same stuff used to make that super thick clear covers for tables where they embed items into the table top.

for this system i am going with a generic brand from eBay. i have the 2G size. one gallon part A and one gallon part B. i plan on mixing it with 6G of aragonite sand. in the past i used a 2:1 ratio sand to epoxy, but it was a bit shiny and glossy, so i am going to try 3:1. the tank bottom surface area is 2'X8'. the last tank was 18"X6' and i used about a gallon of the FamoWood epoxy from HD. it was about 1/2"-3/4" think.

here is a thread i created showing what i did on the old system. i will be doing the exact same thing with this build except i do not think i will be creating it in sections.

nothing really grips to HDPE. i will run a bead of silicone around the HDPE to "hold" it in place by gooping it enough around the edges to "hold" it in place. i do not think this is necessary. i just did it to keep the gaps as small as possible. i wanted to keep the unwanted detritus that would get under the FSB to a minimum. the weight of the FSB and embedded rock will hold it down after it has been poured. yes, you could just leave the HDPE on the glass.

i would not pour the epoxy directly onto the glass though. use a barrier of wax paper between the FSB pour and anything you do not want the FSB to stick to.

G~

Current Tank Info: Not dead yet.
Reefin' Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:35 AM   #378
knx873
Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas and link

Unread 12/14/2017, 06:36 AM   #379
knx873
Registered Member

I tried the link it’s not working lol

Unread 12/14/2017, 03:38 PM   #380
Reefin' Dude
Registered Member

interesting. it works for me.

anyhow, here it is using a more direct link.

G~

Current Tank Info: Not dead yet.
Reefin' Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 04:05 PM   #381
manilaboy1vic
Registered Member

count me in

i just converted to BB..

i have a 68g tank.. had a kole tang and have a maroon clown.. my WC schedule could not keep up with the poop machine that is a kole..

i got a 54g tub.. siphoned out the water.. then moved rocks into tub.. bagged up the kole and brought it to the LFS..

cyano was just outta control in the tank.. covering rocks and sand.....

hoping the tank cleans up now.. just have 2 damsels and a maroon clown in there.. hopefully a much lighter bio load..

the cyano would jsut cover my little rocks with zoa on them.. i would clean it off with a turkey baster and it would be back the next day.. ..

since going bb.. that cyano is now in check.. its not covering my rocks immediately..

manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote