Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2007, 06:38 PM   #26
Aqua Keepers
Moved On

I'm building a 125 BB tank. I think RC needs a BB forum. Shall we vote on this?

Aqua Keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 06:49 PM   #27
dukecola
Registered Member

I'm all for a BB forum! I've been BB since 1992, yes 1992. I did a brief excursion for a while to try out the DSB theory, but went back to BB. Fort me it is the absolute easiest method to maintain a reef. Using the tried and true Berlin method, lots of quality live rock and great skimming, from a maint aspect, just so easy. All I do is weekly 10% water changes, that's it, nitrates stay in check and everything seems to thrive. In my 1992 era tank, I ran a Thiel denitrator, but now find that equip unnecessary.

To me there is nothing worse than an ugly sandbed, detritus builds up, and maint is a chore wether doing it yourself or having to buy "clean-up" crews. No sand storm either. I love the look of a coraline encrusted bottom, no sand needed.

Current Tank Info: Elos System 70, 5G micro, shrooms and zenia
dukecola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 07:32 PM   #28
audio101
Moved On

A reef without sand is pointless, might as well just buy plastic corals also.

audio101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 07:34 PM   #29
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio101
im glad after 3 months you have it all figured out.

GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 08:37 PM   #30
Houtz
Registered Member

Quote:
Now that you're a member, you need to get a wrasse to keep your barebottom spiffy clean
Got two six-lines, do they count? They've done a number on my 'pods and bristle worms.

Quote:
Ah, speaking from experience, it's much easier to manage and "husband" (I'm quite certain that's not a verb) a tank without sand while battling hair algae (not saying they're easier overall).
That was my biggest motivation.

Quote:
We're doing the initiation ceremony for Houtz at MACNA XIX. To finalize his membership into the gang ... err club, he's going to have to clean the bare bottoms of all the founding members. In public.
Hmmm...I'll pass. Actually, if I get to use a razor blade it will be easier and then I might consider it.

Quote:
To me there is nothing worse than an ugly sandbed, detritus builds up, and maint is a chore wether doing it yourself or having to buy "clean-up" crews. No sand storm either. I love the look of a coraline encrusted bottom, no sand needed.
That's how I look at it, but I'll find out for sure here in the next few months/years.

Well, okay.
Quote:
Going barebottom isnt going to fix any of that.
Quote:
You need to fix your husbandry.
What do you suggest as a starting point?
I have excellent h2o conditions and have never had hair algae in four years since I started. And this isn't the same tank I started with (no "years of gradual buildup blowing up in my face") Seriously, I'm open to your advice because I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. If I did I'd be all over it.

Thanks for all the replies folks. It's encouraging to see that many have done the same and are so glad about the results. I'm quite excited about this.

"For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Rom. 5: 7-8 NKJV

Current Tank Info: 29 gal. AGA mixed reef
Houtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 08:38 PM   #31
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Quote:
Has your tank even finished cycling yet??? LOL

Please dont tell me you have a DSB in a 24G Aquapod!!

Bare bottom works for me. I really couldnt give a rats-rear-end what others think about the idea! I have never had sand and really dont think that I (meaning me, myself, and I) will ever have a tank with sand in it. Thats just me and my style of reefing.

You will learn quickly that in this hobby... some things work for some and some things dont! Do what makes your tank sparkle.

Posting without a reef-related point is also... well... with respect to this forum, pointless

Enjoy the hobby

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Houtz
Registered Member

Heh, um...I don't think it's quite the same as plastic corals. At least not if you're talking about the goofy neon colored ones at Petsmart that I'm thinking of.
Like the last guy said, if you think no sand is hideous, by all means use sand. I'm more partial to no sand as far a looks alone go so I'm not worried about that. I like things on the sparkly clean side. I think they call that vain, or obsessive compulsive or neat freak. I'm that. I thought I'd like letting the algae grow on the back glass and I got more and more tense as it grew day by day until I finally lost it and scraped it all off. kinda silly, huh?

"For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Rom. 5: 7-8 NKJV

Unread 08/23/2007, 08:57 PM   #33
MeuserReef

Plastic corals look stupid even with sand... see.

Hey Houtz.... I think you will like the ease of maintaining the BB tank. Oh, and I love your sig.

Unread 08/23/2007, 09:46 PM   #34
spleify
Registered Member

Great thread. I am currently in the works to set up a second 55 gal and have been kicking around the Idea of going BB. I started this thread to try and get some ideas
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1191725
I kinda like the look of BB, but I have always had sand. So I am kind of torn.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 10:05 PM   #35
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Now audio101, why would you make a statement like this. I noticed in your signature line that you are relatively new to the hobby, and rather new to RC. The thing is almost everyone here who subscribes to BB approach are guys who have already been in the hobby, and feel long term their best approach. I actually converted to BB six months ago, and cannot believe how natural my reef looks. In fact, now the corals stand out, and gain much attention from visiting company, they don't even notice the sandbed removed. I respect your opinion, but do recall this being a thread about "the bb club", so just curious about your reason for even posting on this thread.......

plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 10:40 PM   #36
Houtz
Registered Member

Well MeuserReef, the tank is indeed a bit tacky, but that's a beautiful little pleco there. I love plecos, it's too bad they can't live in salt water.

Anyway, back to BB, it's been twenty four hours since the "surgery" and I'm still patching things up. I took the oportunity to make a lift kit for my LR structure out of PVC. I'll need a little more rock to make it look finished; but it should really enhance the flow under the rocks for maximum detritus control...muhahahaha!
I also tried the vinegar trick to clean my equipment and it worked like a charm. I will definitely make it a ritual from now on.
Anyways, tank looks good, nasty sand gone, commencing recovery process and keeping an eye on water params.
Spliefy, I know just what you mean. I was torn for quite a while too because I liked the BB look a lot and the idea behind it but it was an uncomfortable change because it seemed so controversial.

Unread 08/23/2007, 10:49 PM   #37
audio101
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
im glad after 3 months you have it all figured out.
Man I could of been in this hobby for 15 yrs and I would still think the same way. What's there to figure out? It's like a forest without trees, the sand bed and life that comes from it is such a big part of the system. People seem to be more worried about having a perfect looking tank to show off to other people, then actually enjoying a natural looking set up. I for one enjoy the flaws and life of a worn in sand bed that's flowing with life.

audio101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 11:08 PM   #38
plyle02
Registered Member

See audio101, no-one here is trying to debate over use of a sandbed or not. In fact, people like myself, striving for a sps reef, have figured out that these corals need absolutely near perfect conditions in order to have growth, and more importantly color. People like me are merely trying to perfect the conditions so these corals can thrive.... In this quest, I personally decided that long term, this is the best approach for me.....yes for me..... The word NATURAL is in the eye of the beholder.... BTW, why don't you try and keep sps corals in a tank with a "flawwed sandbed", and get back to me your findings..... Oh yeah, I also have a small 20 gallon sps tank using a dsb, doesn't look anymore natural than my 75 gallon sps bb reef.... Good luck though audio101....

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 11:16 PM   #39
GSMguy
Registered Member

Audio please dont turn this into a BBvs DSB thread we have been there before you showed up

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 08/24/2007, 12:01 AM   #40
Houtz
Registered Member

yeah, didn't mean to start a debate. The debate is already pretty well known by most.

Here's with sand:

Here's 24 hrs later. I know it looks pretty shabby, but hey, the tank just had major surgery, you or I wouldn't look good either

definitely going to like keeping that bottom clean, will put my sludgeophobia at ease

Unread 08/24/2007, 12:05 AM   #41
Houtz
Registered Member

Oh, the last pic was at 11 pm, so the corals were up way past their bedtime. Hence shrunken corals and invisible fish. Everybody actually opened normally today except the button polyps. They're mad at the world because my emerald crabs play tag in them all day and it irritates them.
Silly emerald crabs

Unread 08/24/2007, 07:15 AM   #42
MeuserReef

Quote:
It's like a forest without trees....
Actually... Its more like a forest without pine-needles. The forest will still live fine without them. Some might say that the pine-needles offer more bio-diversity to the forest, but the canopies of the trees could care less that theres no pine-needles 50ft below them.

Audio101, I think you should re-think your reasoning for posting in this thread. This thread (as I perceive it) is for those that:

a). Use the bare bottom method
-or-
b). Are thinking about using the bare bottom method

I dont see where your posts fit in this.

The quickest way to get a thread locked (other than debating global warming) is to debate BB vs. DSB.

To each his own. Perhaps you could start the "I hate BB Club" thread.

Quote:
Houtz: That is a rare saltwater-nugget pleco

Unread 08/24/2007, 07:22 AM   #43
Benny Z
Moved On

i've had 2 bare bottom tanks over the past 2 years and i have to say...

i'm going back to sand! (oh noes!!!)

sorry!

Benny Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 07:32 AM   #44
boss252
Registered Member

how do you guys get the detritus off the bottom of the tank. That is the only problem I have. I try to suck it up with siphon but I can't get it all.

boss252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 08:26 AM   #45
MeuserReef

Quote:
Originally posted by boss252
how do you guys get the detritus off the bottom of the tank. That is the only problem I have. I try to suck it up with siphon but I can't get it all.
I have my flow situated so that it makes a nice, neat little pile of poo in one of the front corners of my tank. Its super easy to siphon out when doing water changes. I do W/C's weekly so it doesnt build up. As I type this, Im thinking that I COULD probably use more flow pointing to the bottom to carry some of the collected waste up through the overflow.

I use a piece of 1/2" CPVC connected to my siphon hose to allow me to maneuver the hose around rocks. Using a larger diameter hose will also allow you to create more of a vaccuum to help suck the crap out (IME).

I also use a home-made filter system (basically a filter sock, just with a filter pad instead of a sock) that catches all of the gunk coming out of the overflow before it can get into my sump.

I have about 2-3 lbs of the ceramic filter media along with about 10 lbs of live rock rubble in my sump. My 10 gallon sump is basically a fuge/frag tank because it has no baffles. The home-made filter overflows into the sump on one end and the return line is on the opposite side of the sump. I have had good results for almost 2 years now using this method. All-in-all, I probably have about 50+ lbs of live rock (display+Sump) in my roughly 40 gallon system. This more than handles the bioload that I have (only 2 clowns in my display and a damsel in the sump)

Benny Z: Thats cool too. Which ever way works the best for YOU is definetly the one that YOU should use. This is a hobby afterall right? (hobbies = fun/enjoyment/reward/success)

Unread 08/24/2007, 10:08 AM   #46
GSMguy
Registered Member

houtz looks good make sure you get more flow in there to be positive there is not dead spots looks like there is a good amount of rock in there still.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 08/24/2007, 10:15 AM   #47
The Reefer91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MeuserReef
The quickest way to get a thread locked (other than debating global warming) is to debate BB vs. DSB.
LOL

i thought that was pretty funny.

you guys are all so lucky, you get to do BB. i'd do barebottom too if it weren't for the fact that the family REALLY wants sand. i guess i'll have to wait my turn.

"Every day we fade little by little, 'till there's nothing left of us but the lies we've sown."

Current Tank Info: 20g L display: 2x65watt Coralife light, Octopus 150 needle wheel protein skimmer, 1 Koralia 2 and 2 powersweeps, and a DIY sump/fuge.....120G in the works!!!
The Reefer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 10:54 AM   #48
mcrist
Premium Member

I’ve been thinking about going BB but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. Maybe it’s because I will need to remove over 1000 pounds of sand to join the club. I am sick and tired of sand storms though. Any suggestion on removing a lot of sand?

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 10:58 AM   #49
Benny Z
Moved On

if it's a fine grade sand you should be able to siphon it out a bit at a time w/ water changes.

Benny Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 11:01 AM   #50
mcrist
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Benny Z
if it's a fine grade sand you should be able to siphon it out a bit at a time w/ water changes.
I was hoping for somthing that wouldn't take me years to accomplish.

mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote