Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2013, 07:12 AM   #76
Tmoriarty
Registered Member

Yah indeed I hope for the same thing. I know the babies is just part of the hobby, I am just glad I had them in a separate system then the parents who I still keep in my reef tank.

If the Magnifica is splitting then I may keep it in the Treatment tank for a couple weeks while it starts the healing process. Perhaps that will help in the recovery of the nem as well.

When I lost my original Magnifica my breeding pair of clowns were very displaced. Despite the fact I have 9 or so BTA's in the tank they were unsure of where to go. They did eventually move to the BTA's with the snowflake occe that is also in the tank but continued to go back to the rock looking for their real home. The moment I added the new Magnifica they were right back into it (in fact before it was even out of my hand and placed). I have high hopes everything will be good with this nem and hope I do end up with two beautiful Magnificas.

Tyler

Current Tank Info: Tanks: 203g custom, Mixed Reef, SRO-3000, Vortech-Powered (x2 MP40) 75g sump with 15g Fuge section
Tmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2013, 09:33 AM   #77
Tmoriarty
Registered Member

No good, nem melted about day 5. I am suprised it went so fast after looking fairly good from the day I got it. The next one I will start treatment on it on day 1.

Current Tank Info: Tanks: 203g custom, Mixed Reef, SRO-3000, Vortech-Powered (x2 MP40) 75g sump with 15g Fuge section
Tmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2013, 10:03 AM   #78
tatuaje08
Registered Member.

Can this be used to prevent infection, not just treat it? I propagate btas and would be curious to know if a quick dip would do them some good?

tatuaje08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 09:04 PM   #79
LisaE
Registered Member

OrionN do you think Fish Flox is an acceptable form of Ciprofloxacin, or would it be better to obtain a prescription for Cipro from a local doctor/dentist?

LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 09:13 PM   #80
OrionN
Moved on

I think FishFlox is OK. Get it from reputable dealer. Heat and moisture will degrade most medicine. Keep them in cool dry place is very important.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 10:20 AM   #81
s2nhle
Registered Member

tagging along

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 10:45 AM   #82
motojoe1988
Registered Member

any other meds?

Im looking to pick up a gig today but cant get any cirpo for a few days. Can I use amoxicilan?

motojoe1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2013, 10:19 PM   #83
Bratyboy2
Registered Member

To far gone to treat? It just came in and was stressed was fine then this happened...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382156375423.jpg (86.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382156388100.jpg (71.0 KB, 223 views)
Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2013, 12:57 AM   #84
OrionN
Moved on

Not too far gone. Sometime they can really turn around but the sooner the better.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 10/19/2013, 07:06 AM   #85
Bratyboy2
Registered Member

Thanks orion! I'll start working with it tonight!

Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2013, 09:24 AM   #86
GTR
Registered Member

Is the ciprofloxacin being chosen due the price and availability?
I have a steady supply of baytril used for fish treatments. Never gave much consideration to treating anemones weakened in transport.

Unread 10/26/2013, 11:03 AM   #87
plthijinx
Registered Member

Hey y'all. new to the forum and have been back in the hobby for about 6 months now after about a 6 year hiatus. I just had two fish (blue damsel & clown fish) die. I QT'd them and treated them with Herbtana but to no avail. The symptoms were lethargy in both of them with sore like wounds on them. The Damsel died first then the clown a couple days later. Here's a weird note, I would do a 50% water change every other day and on the last water change within an hour the clown fish snapped out of it's lethargic state and back to it's normal feisty self. I thought cool! he's going to make it only to wake up the next morning to find him dead. there were no signs of ich whatsoever. i'm thinking the infection wasn't parasitic.

everything else in my display are good and show no signs of stress. ph is right down the middle, salinity is 1.024, nitrates are a tad high (5 ppm) but i'm working on that, bought the tank used and it had been severely neglected, nitrites and amm are 0. tank consists of 2 pj's, one dragon gobi and house cleaners (aka shrimp and snails).

yesterday i went out and bought another clown fish and anenomie. both seem to be doing fine although i did catch a bristle worm trying to steal the food i'd just given the anenomie but the anenomie won that round.

your thoughts?

plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 10:29 AM   #88
Pastey
Registered Member

During treatment of a haddoni, is it wise to have a a container with sand for the nem to put it's foot into to make it feel more secure while in the treatment tank or just leave it bare bottom?

Unread 01/23/2014, 11:05 AM   #89
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastey View Post
During treatment of a haddoni, is it wise to have a a container with sand for the nem to put it's foot into to make it feel more secure while in the treatment tank or just leave it bare bottom?
I've treated two red haddoni -- once with sand (in a plastic container a bit larger than the nem) and once without -- and both ended with the death of the anemone. On the other hand I've treated a few gigantea, all with success.

I was told the first time around that the bacteria present on the sand may have died when Cipro was added, and this may have fouled the tank, so the second time I didn't use any substrate. The first haddoni never attempted to bury its foot, and the second never tried to attach to the tank. This is in contrast to all of the gigs, which quickly attached to either the tank bottom or rock (in one case it was already attached to a rock when I received it, and it never detached).

Both haddoni never showed a positive response to the Cipro treatment, only a quick decline. Again, this is in contrast to gigs, which all showed an immediate improvement.

If there are any other haddoni owners who have successfully treated with Cipro, I'm curious to know what the experience was like. In my cases, I started to think that for some reason, Cipro isn't as effective on haddoni as it is with gigantea, but there are too many factors -- and not enough testing to support my hypothesis -- that this is actually the case.

Unread 01/23/2014, 11:19 AM   #90
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratyboy2 View Post
To far gone to treat? It just came in and was stressed was fine then this happened...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratyboy2 View Post
Thanks orion! I'll start working with it tonight!
Update? Did the nem make it?

Unread 02/02/2014, 10:00 AM   #91
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post

If there are any other haddoni owners who have successfully treated with Cipro, I'm curious to know what the experience was like. In my cases, I started to think that for some reason, Cipro isn't as effective on haddoni as it is with gigantea, but there are too many factors -- and not enough testing to support my hypothesis -- that this is actually the case.
Ive treated Mostly S. Gig's and my latest addition was my red haddoni, I treated it and saw rather quick improvements, not as quick as most of my S. Gig's, but non the less improvements within 24 hrs of treatment..

Picture at the LFS

[/QUOTE]

nearly 24 hr laters in treatment tank..

photo r2-1.jpg

photo r1-1.jpg

It took about 3 weeks for his mouth to fully close tightly tho..

I know ive said this before in my S. Gig thread and on any of my treatment threads, I use different medication then Cipro, I use Levoflaxocin, which from my understanding talking to minh, is the Updated version of Cipro and tends to cost a tad bit more...

Thread is here with all my anemone's
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2276752

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2014, 12:48 PM   #92
OrionN
Moved on

I treated my Green Haddoni with Cipro and it works fine.
It is not the anemone, but the bacterial. If the bacterial is sensitive to ciprofloxacin and if we start it early enough, it should be effective.

Unread 02/13/2014, 12:17 AM   #93
maddmaxx
Registered Member

orionN couple questions sir...

if i have a 20L laying around, obviously i could use that as a HT..if i was to fill it all the way up during treatment and did a 50% water change, would i use 2 tablets after the water change?

also would a 4x T5 lighting fixture be enough for a s.mag?

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2014, 06:53 AM   #94
OrionN
Moved on

I would dose 25mg/gal gal every day, so if your treatment tank is 20 gal then I would dose 500 mg. I think if you have fairly good lighting, the ciprofloxacin would breakdown with light so I assume that by the end of the day, you level is much lower if not all gone.
When my anemone is not doing well, I do 100% water change, I would still dose 25mg/gal. Right now I am treating two Gigantea in my HT, 20 gal high 50% fill. 1st day, last night, I change 100% of the water. Today, I will change only 50% of the water. They are doing much better. Last night I dosed 250 mg and will dose 250 mg today also. I have a 40 W flood LED 10,000K light on this tank. It is really bright with this LED.

Unread 02/13/2014, 06:58 AM   #95
OrionN
Moved on

maddmaxx,
IMO, lighting is important. Without it, your sick anemone will loose all his zooxanthealle and after treatment he will be that much more difficult to bring back. Really bright light is not essential but enough light (more is better IMO unless it cause temp instability) so that the anemone will not loose all of his zooxanthallae. Your light should be fine. As long as there are zooxanthallae still in the anemone, they will repopulate the tissue easy enough.

It is unlikely that the light will help anemone produce enough calorie to sustain himself especially with infection and injury. Since they are not eating with treatment, anything help.

Unread 02/17/2014, 04:54 PM   #96
OrionN
Moved on

Another thread on treating newly import S. gigantea with Cipro. My Petco Gigantea (5 total)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2329256

Unread 02/27/2014, 10:19 AM   #97
Raquiros
Registered Member

I'm starting the Cipro treatment today... Will let you know how it goes

Raquiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 03:46 PM   #98
AD87
Registered Member

Great video Minh! I loved it.

AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2014, 09:52 AM   #99
Brando5185
Registered Member

Is cipronatin the same? I ordered ciprofloxacin and they sent cipronatin.

Brando5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 09:47 AM   #100
this is me
Registered Member

I'm planning on doing this treatment when I acquire a gigantea. What kind of light during the treatment process? Does it need to be strong MH light during the treatment? Wouldn't the strong light makes the cipro dissolve too fast and not give it enough time to treat the infection?

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote