Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Shrimplady
Registered Member

Is there hope for my lined seahorses?

Hi everyone. So I started using this new type of food for my two lined seahorses. It is very oily and I believe freshwater derived. But because of the oil film in the water I found both of my seahorses hitching and laying down, labored breathing. I put them in a separate tank with new water and I'm wondering if there is any way to save them. Any time I put my finger in they grasp tightly and seem as though they have some energy but then float to the bottom They have been in this new tank for 12 hours and I put them in there right away when I found them like that. Advice? Freshwater dip?

thanks in advance

Shrimplady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 02:30 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Do you have strong aeration on the new tank? Seahorses have a less efficient gill structure that is not as good as most marine fish. As a result they need to be in tank's with good aeration. Putting an open airline is a good way to know that the tank is off gassing enough. A good protein skimmer also helps aerate the water.

If the new tank was not cycled and you are not doing daily water changes they could be suffering from ammonia poisoning. Umfortunately, there is just not enough info to make an informed decision as to what is wrong.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
labored breathing, sick seahorse