Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/28/2009, 09:24 AM   #126
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
I'm surprised anyone uses UPS for live stock anymore. It's horror story after horror story.
That ATL Meteor shower is looking good, Is that the one you got from me TJ?

Hopefully something makes it. If not are you stuck with the loss?
Yeah that's the one I got from you Erik. It's colored up real nice, and has been growing pretty fast. I had to move it around a few times until it was happy. Once I got it into a little stronger flow, and into the shade the color and growth really seemed to take off.

It's in a little more light in the new tank, so I'll be watching it closely over the next few weeks to see if I need to move it back into a shaded area.

Reef Hot Spot is great. I talked to them yesterday, and they assured me yesterday if anything didn't arrive alive it would be taken care of by them, as well as anything that died within their 14 day guarantee.

Unread 02/28/2009, 10:05 AM   #127
Kreeger1
KING LEAR

Wow, thats a great that they guarantee like that.
Good luck, keep us posted

Current Tank Info: Dsa 135
Unread 02/28/2009, 10:36 AM   #128
Tswifty
Registered Member

Started acclimating everything. The bag water smelled TERRIBLE. Anyway, I usually don't drip acclimate, but with all the issues I'm following the retailers instructions word for word just to avoid any potential discrepancies.

A few of these guys don't look so hot.

Unread 02/28/2009, 10:52 AM   #129
DiscoReefRover
Registered Member

nice !!!! Hope they pull through for ya

New ohio DUI law..1st. OFF get 2 Browns TICs 2nd OFF you have to use them !!!

Current Tank Info: Divorced ....looking for my next hole to fill!!
Unread 02/28/2009, 02:42 PM   #130
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Glad to see the fish showed up after all. I hope they all pull through for you too.

Unread 02/28/2009, 03:11 PM   #131
Tswifty
Registered Member

Bartlett Anthias

From what I can tell the group consists of 1 Male, 1 Female that is morphing/morphed into a Male, and 3 Females.

Unread 02/28/2009, 03:24 PM   #132
Tswifty
Registered Member

Short poor quality video clip:

Unread 02/28/2009, 04:25 PM   #133
DiscoReefRover
Registered Member

feed them fish they look like there starving .....there practicly begging for food in the video...lol

Unread 02/28/2009, 04:40 PM   #134
Tswifty
Registered Member

They crushed Mysis and Brine shrimp right after I took that video. Talk about a feeding frenzy

Hopefully that's a good sign.

Unread 02/28/2009, 04:42 PM   #135
DiscoReefRover
Registered Member

I would say the fact that they look like there begging is a good sign ...why you think my fish are so fat I know the look and Im a big sucker ...lol

Unread 02/28/2009, 05:04 PM   #136
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

Fantastic that they made it through 2 days of shipping. Props to Reef Hot Spot on that!!!! I had a feeling it would be anthias. What was in the second bucket with the pistol shrimp, possibly another Yashia?

Unread 02/28/2009, 05:15 PM   #137
Tswifty
Registered Member

Found another new arrival wandering around the tank:

He must have came out when I put the VorTech into feed mode. He's so little that he was hanging onto the acans for dear life once the pump kicked back on because the undertow is so strong. As soon as I put the VorTech back into feed mode, he scrambled back into the rocks, and began making a burrow.

At one point he bolted right into my old Yasha Goby's burrow, but I guess didn't like it, and came back out.

Unread 02/28/2009, 05:24 PM   #138
Tswifty
Registered Member

I think my old Yasha Hase White Ray Goby did this just to taunt me. You can see the Red Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp in the background. It's like, "C'mon move in together already... He's right there!"

The Yasha Goby's burrow is located right under the shelf underneath the Chalice in the background.

Unread 02/28/2009, 05:34 PM   #139
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoReefRover
I would say the fact that they look like there begging is a good sign ...why you think my fish are so fat I know the look and Im a big sucker ...lol
Yeah they're pretty funny to watch interact. If I move towards the tank, they all try and hide behind a brown birdsnest coral I have, but the coral is so small that they can only stick their heads into it. Like "if we can't see you, we're invisible."

Then as soon as they realize I'm not chasing them with a net, they all shoot back out in the open and come right up to the glass. For the first few weeks while they are in QT, I'm probably going to try and feed them 3-4 times a day... then gradually back them down to 2 offerings per day.
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipOSU
Fantastic that they made it through 2 days of shipping. Props to Reef Hot Spot on that!!!! I had a feeling it would be anthias. What was in the second bucket with the pistol shrimp, possibly another Yashia?
They are by far my favorite online retailer. I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times, and the packaging/customer service has always been top notch.

I'm not declaring it a total victory just yet though. I still haven't seen the new Yasha Hase White Ray Goby that I purchased paired with the Red Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp. Hopefully it's just being skittish, and will appear soon.

Also, I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the Anthias. I've heard they're notorious for slowly dying off, but believe it mostly has to do with them not eating. So I'm hoping the fact that they went into a feeding frenzy earlier is a step in the right direction.

Unread 02/28/2009, 06:01 PM   #140
Tswifty
Registered Member

Clip of the Pistol Shrimp digging it's burrow.

Unread 02/28/2009, 10:09 PM   #141
Tswifty
Registered Member

Ok... I'm officially running with a Ca Reactor!

Hooked it up tonight, and have it running at 1 bubble every 3 seconds, and 50 ml of effluent per minute.

Used these 2 articles to get everything going:

http://www.melevsreef.com/calcium_reactor.html

http://www.reeffanatic.com/products/...ies/co2_dr.pdf

Pictures:

ZeoMag & ARM Coarse Media.

Need to do some more cord organization.

Feed line from manifold.

Output... used an extra air valve fitting I had lying around. Fit perfect... drip rate is approx 50 ml per minute.

Current status on ACIII. pH2 is the pH of the Ca reactor.

Unread 02/28/2009, 10:19 PM   #142
LAK
Registered Member

That is the cutest shrimp ever!

I'm stealing him from you!!!

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:01 AM   #143
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Glad to hear that you got the reactor up and running. Every time you post a shot of your AC3 status page I get angry with myself for not getting my ACjr with the Serial Port Option. I didn't know any better at the time when I bought it and exactly what it was for. I was so concerned with getting my summer temps under control in the first summer season my DT was set up that I didn't do enough research on them. I just may have to uprade to an AC3.

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:46 AM   #144
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Gah, unsubscribed again! Neways, glad to see everything pulled through transport TJ, even after all the messing around. The new additions look really good, i've definitely got a soft spot for anthias
If only my tank was bigger
Nice work on the CA reactor too !
I know it probably hasn't even been running a full yet day but any noticeable differences?
Cheers,
Mitchell.

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 03/01/2009, 09:37 AM   #145
kudora
thread reader

very very cool. glad its up and running, thx for the melev link it was a great read as always!

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 03/01/2009, 01:53 PM   #146
Tswifty
Registered Member

I'm beginning to do some research on the Pappone or "Blue Coral" method. It's something that was mentioned to me a week or so ago, and definitely peaked my interest.

I have a recipe, but would like to try to understand the method a bit better before deciding if this is something I would like to try.

Unread 03/01/2009, 03:49 PM   #147
Tswifty
Registered Member

Long read:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=971190

Unread 03/01/2009, 04:16 PM   #148
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
Glad to hear that you got the reactor up and running. Every time you post a shot of your AC3 status page I get angry with myself for not getting my ACjr with the Serial Port Option. I didn't know any better at the time when I bought it and exactly what it was for. I was so concerned with getting my summer temps under control in the first summer season my DT was set up that I didn't do enough research on them. I just may have to uprade to an AC3.
Thanks. I definitely LOVE having the ACIII. It's especially going to come in handy in the future, as there are a few things I want to attempt to do, and having the ACIII to control them will be great.
Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
Gah, unsubscribed again! Neways, glad to see everything pulled through transport TJ, even after all the messing around. The new additions look really good, i've definitely got a soft spot for anthias
If only my tank was bigger
Nice work on the CA reactor too !
I know it probably hasn't even been running a full yet day but any noticeable differences?
Cheers,
Mitchell.
Haha... yeah I don't know what's going on... maybe my thread causes nothing but problems.

I really like the anthias, and hope they make it. I fed them again this morning, and another feeding frenzy ensued. Also, I spotted the new Yasha Hase White Ray Goby for a split second. So it's in the tank somewhere, I'm just don't know where.

I'm going to test the levels again in a little, and will post my results. I have my before results as well to compare with. Unless something is way off I plan on giving it a few days or a week before determining if I need to make an adjustment or not.

One thing I have noticed, is that the CO2 has been off all morning, since the pH fell below 6.5 at some point, and is the pH is finally creeping back up to the acceptable 6.5 region (currently 6.46).
Quote:
Originally posted by kudora
very very cool. glad its up and running, thx for the melev link it was a great read as always!
Thanks, yeah he's got all kinds of good stuff on that website of his.

Unread 03/01/2009, 05:07 PM   #149
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Seeing as you've been so productive lately it gave me the insentive to finally get around to gutting my tank topper and repairing the damage to the VHO Atinics. Having that extra 220W of light back sure makes the colors pop again. My protein Skimmer has been acting up lately so that usually means the Impeller bushings are worn so I checked them and sure enough they needed to be replaced. So it was a productive day.

Unread 03/01/2009, 06:31 PM   #150
Tswifty
Registered Member

So there's a little bit of a problem. The solenoid on the Reef Fanatic CO2 regulator is not functioning properly. The state on the ACIII shows that it should be off, but the bubble counter still has bubbles at the pre-set rate of 1 bubble every 3 second. Not that big of a deal because my Alk really hasn't moved, and the pH is right near the 6.5 mark inside the reactor... but I need to call Reef Fanatic tomorrow since I just replaced the solenoid.