Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2016, 07:06 AM   #1326
McPuff
Registered Member

That tang looks awesome. He must be so happy in there! It'll be fun to see it get bigger and start to change color.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 08:10 AM   #1327
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks, Sam for the very generous comments! It's been a pleasure to follow your progress as well.

We are in a bit of a niche, aren't we? That's cool. Someday this may be mainstream. I kind of see it as a more forgiving segment of the salty side of the hobby. The plants make our 'jobs' so much easier! Although the reef keepers may be in the midst of a gizmo arms race at the moment, the system simplicity we both advocate is another thing some may want to try.

Michael,
Your Caribbean bio-theme reinforces John Tullocks book "The Natural Reef Aquarium". Like you, I prefer the "KISS PRINCIPAL". Keep the pictures coming. Your thread is a joy to follow as it reenforces the direction that I have chosen.

On post 1312 your last picture shows Botryocladia emerging a year after disintegrating. What lighting are you now using and have you changed lighting from a yeaqr ago? Also, the green macro behind the Red Grapes looks to me to be Acetabularia (Maidens Wine Glass). If so, you have accomplished much.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 09:32 AM   #1328
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, McPuff. The tang appears happy, and fat! Right now, I'm really enjoying the yellow phase. Hopefully I can get a descent pic before he turns blue!

I'm still hoping to get the caulerpa back up to speed, to keep him well fed. It's going to be close! If I do ultimately fail in my quest to reach a caulerpa/tang equilibrium, I wonder how big a tank it would require to succeed.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 10:46 AM   #1329
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I just happen to be rereading "The Natural Reef Aquarium" right now. It's a good one, with lots of Caribbean references. I've bought and read a ton of books over the years.

Another one that's had a major influence on this tank, is Walter Adey's "Dynamic Aquaria". It's like a science textbook! His viewpoint was unencumbered by conventional aquarium wisdom of the time - just pure science and nature. Years later, several of his innovations, like algae scrubbers and refugiums are relatively common. One of the best things I got from his book was the notion of building our little ecosystems from the bottom up. Instead of just saying "I want to keep these fish and these corals, so I need to buy this, that and the other gizmo", he said "I want to model this slice of the ocean, so let's start with the dirt from that place."

My lighting hasn't changed, with the exception of the addition of moonlight LEDs. I'm still running a single 5500 K 400 watt metal halide bulb in a Spider Light reflector. My tank's depth is 30 inches, and I don't have a big pile of rocks, so everything is right on the sand. The bulb is about 10 inches above the water and 10 inches from the left end of the tank, with the reflector tilted at about 30 degrees, towards the right end. This gives me a nice gradient of light across the tank, so different plants can find their favorite light intensity. It was VERY difficult to leave it so asymmetrical at first, but with time I got used to it. I still plan to keep sponges at the right end, so it makes sense. I don't use a UV shield, as I don't recall ever seeing them snorkeling.

As far as I know, the only green macro I have is caulerpa racemosa peltata. I can see why you'd think that it is wine glass, as the shape is similar, in that part of the tank. In the brighter areas, they're smaller and more grape like. So, no big deal. I'm trying to avoid keeping anything considered difficult. I'm all about keeping it easy!

Thanks for posting, Subsea, keep 'em coming! I'd love to hear and see more of your operation. Gotta thread?

Unread 01/27/2016, 02:13 PM   #1330
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, McPuff. The tang appears happy, and fat! Right now, I'm really enjoying the yellow phase. Hopefully I can get a descent pic before he turns blue!

I'm still hoping to get the caulerpa back up to speed, to keep him well fed. It's going to be close! If I do ultimately fail in my quest to reach a caulerpa/tang equilibrium, I wonder how big a tank it would require to succeed.

Michael,
Until your in tank macro catches up, consider growing Ulva in a 5G bucket with an air stone and a 24W CFL at 5K.

Unread 01/27/2016, 02:28 PM   #1331
Subsea
Registered Member

I will soon start up a thread on my 55G macro lagoon with a small patch reef. Due to my computer illiteracy, picture posting is a problem. However, I have a new partner that is very savy with the process and he will assist with utube video.

My one reef tank is a 75G Jaubert Plenum on top with a 30G mud filter/refugium on bottom.

I do have some pictures and videos on my website which will soon be reactivated as a business: www.aquacultureranch.com

Unread 01/27/2016, 02:36 PM   #1332
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ooh, that's a good idea with the ulva, Subsea. I think I still have a few small bits in the tank.

I look forward to reading your thread!

Unread 01/29/2016, 07:57 PM   #1333
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 01/29/2016, 08:05 PM   #1334
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Looks like they're having a good time!

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 11:06 AM   #1335
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Speaking of having a good time, I think I just witnessed raunchy fish sex!

I was giving my tank a first-thing-in-the-morning lookover. I noticed the two barnacle blennies in the barnacle shells were darker than normal and they were doing a kind of dance. It was sort of an up and down or in and out motion. Then I noticed that one of the other blennies, that lives in a hole in the fake wall, was down there visiting. This blenny is noticeably smaller. I just figured it was another little territory squabble, but this time something different happened.

Instead of mouth gaping displays and fighting, the little visitor went right into the barnacle shell WITH the other one. And he didn't seem to mind at all! She disappeared down in there for probably less than a minute, while he kept his head out, trying to act like nothing fishy was going on. In the meantime, the other male in the barnacles kept up with his dance moves. Then she emerged from the first one's lair and went right into other male's barnacle! Again, she was in there for less than a minute, then she emerged and went back to her regular hole in the wall.

I'm pretty sure this was a spawning event. From the way it went down, I have made a few deductions:

Eggs were laid and fertilized inside the barnacle shells.
Since the female went back to here own hole, after spawning with both males, she has no further parental duties.
The males will be caring for their own clutches of eggs alone.

It'll be interesting to see how the males' behavior changes. Will they be more aggressive/territorial? How will they tend to the eggs? Will they fan them with their tails and/or nibble at them like clown fish to keep them clean?

From a quick web search, I found that they are benthic egg-layers, with pelagic larva. So the babies will be on their own after hatching.

Well, I'll keep an eye on them, and report any findings.

Unread 01/30/2016, 11:46 AM   #1336
sam.basye
Registered Member

Pretty neat, any coincidence this occurred with the full moon??

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 04:45 PM   #1337
karimwassef
Registered Member

Curious to see if a sumpless system is more conducive to fry surviving...

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 05:11 PM   #1338
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 01/30/2016, 08:40 PM   #1339
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 01/30/2016, 08:48 PM   #1340
karimwassef
Registered Member

Wow... The second from the bottom is gallery quality!

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2016, 08:17 PM   #1341
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 01/31/2016, 10:17 PM   #1342
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've been making an effort to get some descent pics of Zippy the Gardener, before he grows up and turns blue.

I offered him nori today. Didn't even taste it, as far as I saw. He seems to get plenty of food, eating a variety of flora all over the tank. The grammas are learning that his grazing stirs up plankton. Kinda symbiotic.

I've been observing the would-be fathers. I have seen no actions by either of them that would indicate any form of egg-tending. They sit like they always do, in their barnacles. So, either they don't tend the eggs, or there are no eggs, because they did not spawn. Now that I think about it, it seems like the males would have disappeared into the shell with her to 'take care of business'.

So maybe this was a rehearsal, or maybe she was evaluating their accommodations. Later, I saw her flirting with the other wall-dwelling blenny, who did the same dance moves the other two had done. This would suggest I have three males and one female. That's usually disastrous, but these blennies are perfect gentlemen. I'll keep an eye on them.

I'm seeing improved growth in the caulerpa. Hopefully in time to keep my equilibrium dream alive! The tank seems to be adjusting to the added bio load of the new fish well. The plants get new sources of nitrogen and carbon dioxide and phosphate. The fish get oxygen, food and structure.

Unread 01/31/2016, 11:54 PM   #1343
sam.basye
Registered Member

Great pics and love the fish!
Any color changes since you got it?

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 02/01/2016, 10:00 AM   #1344
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You can see in some of the pics, he's getting a brownish stripe thing going. It gets more or less visible, depending on his mood. In addition to being pretty, he's become a very important member of 'the crew'. I watched him for a considerable length of time over the weekend. He grazes all over the tank, including the substrate.

One of the great things about tangs, is they seem to be more intelligent than your average fish. He really is a character and has become the star of the show, for sure. And the way he prunes the macros looks way better than anything I (used to) do. I am so happy he has relieved me of this duty-just as I had planned!

As cool as it is that he eats from the tank flora, I'd like to be able to supplement his diet. So far, I've tried broccoli, sinking algae discs, and nori. I've been on the lookout for a good herbivore flake food, which has a plant as its first ingredient, rather than fish meal. In the meantime, I'll give nori another try.

Unread 02/01/2016, 11:01 PM   #1345
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I looked around, and New Life Spectrum AlgaeMax 1mm Sinking Pellet Food looks like the best option. It has a variety of macro algae, which sounds like a good idea. It seems a little pricey, but it's doable.

Zippy finally tried the nori. Barely touched it. He prefers his food au naturale-not roasted.

Unread 02/02/2016, 12:08 PM   #1346
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This morning I had the bright idea of using a headlamp to look into the barnacle shells. I could only see into one and I couldn't see all the way around in there, but I saw no eggs. One thing I noticed different was that it was squeaky clean in there. It used to be full of algae.

So I guess what I witnessed the other day wasn't sex, but was probably foreplay.

Unread 02/02/2016, 10:40 PM   #1347
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
So I guess what I witnessed the other day wasn't sex, but was probably foreplay.
Lol, you are a strange one Michael...

Do you think you will be able to keep up with the macro growth when the tang is full size?

Foam Wall
Unread 02/02/2016, 11:09 PM   #1348
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Really, I'm the strange one? OK…

I kind of doubt I'll be able to keep up with it for that long. It'll be neat to see how long I can go. If I can get it back to the explosive growth rate I had a little while back, it's possible. It's hard to imagine him full size! They do get pretty big.

Right now I'm just enjoying the show! And not having to prune!

Unread 02/03/2016, 06:10 PM   #1349
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm seeing an uptick in caulerpa growth. I may be able to keep pace with Mr Zippy's appetite after all. Nitrate dosing is helping.

One thing I've noticed is that when I suspended (nitrate) water column dosing, in favor of substrate fertilization, I didn't see any uptick in growth rate in my grasses. If anything they slowed down. Since these plants are slow growing, it's hard to pin down what helps and what doesn't. Also there is the weather factor. Seagrasses decline in the colder months. We just had to replace our furnace and were without one for two weeks. I had a space heater in the room but I know the tank was affected.

So when I posted awhile back that substrate dosing was responsible for the sudden asexual reproduction in my manatee grass, I may have been wrong. I now suspect that it was the water column dosing all along. I was reading through some of my notes, and found that they prefer root uptake of phosphorous and leaf uptake of potassium and ammonium. So maybe I'll try substrate dosing with a high phosphate plant tab and water column dosing with ammonia. Yikes!

Unread 02/03/2016, 11:52 PM   #1350
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This fish is pretty and he knows it. He chases his own reflection. Not because he thinks it's another tang, he just likes to watch himself.

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass