Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Phixman
Registered Member

Parameters

I went on a 9 hour drive to check out a shop called Neptunes corals and ended up buying 16 frags for less than $300. I've been dosing 4ml of calcium and alkalinity using 2 part BRS. Since I added so many acros, how much do you guys think I should raise my dosing by to lower the risk of swings, the new acros make up for about 85%-95% of all my sps. All the acros in the frag plug are the new ones.

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 05:01 AM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

Increase your testing not your dosing. Then increase your dosing when testing shows you need to.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 05:12 AM   #3
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Increase your testing not your dosing. Then increase your dosing when testing shows you need to.

Exactly, don't guess just test!

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 05:18 AM   #4
Whiskylen
Registered Member

I test Alk daily if I see it dropping over a couple day period I increase my dose slightly. If I was adding that many frags I may test a couple times a day for the first few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Phixman
Registered Member

Do you guys test everything almost daily? I tested once a week, use to do the 3 majors,but then realized Mag wasn't changing enough and calcium dropped at the same dosage as Alk

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 01:06 PM   #6
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Weekly, and monthly for some items. Only if I think something is wrong will I resort to daily testing on something.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 04:41 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

Once a tank reaches a stable spot, where the growth is fairly regular and you know the dose well, testing every week or month for alkalinity should be fine. Testing for calcium and magnesium probably will be needed less often.

While you're dialing in the dose, daily testing, preferably at the same time each day, often is needed because the consumption can run 2-3 dKH per day. I'd test every day for a few days, and see how close the results are to the noise margin of the kit, and work from there.

Unread 06/17/2018, 09:08 PM   #8
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Like bertoni said, with SPS you cxan get large amounts of alk consumption. I get close to ~3dkh a day.

I test alk daily although its hooked to a autodoser and I sometimes get exact same number for weeks. With SPS you should at least test alk daily, because they are very sensitive to it and die quickly if something goes wrong. It can give you same number for months but if doser fails, you will catch the failure before coals start to die.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote