Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2018, 04:37 AM   #26
FLReef32043
Registered Member

That looks absolutely amazing. Following - I have to see the end result

FLReef32043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 03:06 PM   #27
Dsekula
Registered Member

Filled it today (as much as I'm going to manage filling it for testing at least) so far it holds water.

Now the fun will really start KIMG1040.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 03:40 PM   #28
Dsekula
Registered Member

Thanks to all you guys following along
My goal was building a cool system and to document the proof that I built it for better or worse. In the past I've done builds and while I don't need everyone to know that I built them it's nice to have proof when your accused of lying . I had no goal of having people follow this but I've gotta admit I find it awesome that there's even one other person out there that thinks what I'm doing is cool and has some appreciation of the effort I put in.

Thanks to all those who have been chatting with me to smooth out my ideas and fill in the gaps in my experience. You guys know who you are and this project wouldn't be half of what it's turning into with out you.

The next step will be building the lighting system. This part is 100% NOT my design. Two of my reef bros out there were kind enough to completely tell me how they would light this tank as far as the spectrum and exact sin waves I should find and include in each diode and what quanity of each. So I will basically just be making their ideas work from an electric standpoint. Thanks guys!!

Unread 09/23/2018, 05:29 PM   #29
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
Thanks to all you guys following along
My goal was building a cool system and to document the proof that I built it for better or worse. In the past I've done builds and while I don't need everyone to know that I built them it's nice to have proof when your accused of lying . I had no goal of having people follow this but I've gotta admit I find it awesome that there's even one other person out there that thinks what I'm doing is cool and has some appreciation of the effort I put in.

Thanks to all those who have been chatting with me to smooth out my ideas and fill in the gaps in my experience. You guys know who you are and this project wouldn't be half of what it's turning into with out you.

The next step will be building the lighting system. This part is 100% NOT my design. Two of my reef bros out there were kind enough to completely tell me how they would light this tank as far as the spectrum and exact sin waves I should find and include in each diode and what quanity of each. So I will basically just be making their ideas work from an electric standpoint. Thanks guys!!

I am thrilled to live vicariously through you in that lighting project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 05:55 PM   #30
Dsekula
Registered Member

Lol watch out, when my tank looks awesome you'll be flooded with pms for design ideas .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I am thrilled to live vicariously through you in that lighting project

Unread 09/24/2018, 06:32 AM   #31
McPuff
Registered Member

That is really impressive! Looking forward to more!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 07:24 PM   #32
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well....
Update time!
Here's the light build so far. I made this giant aluminum heatsync.
Had tons of help on this one; from the light selection, lay out, improving my soldering skills, double checking all my math and the rational of the electric lay out!
Thanks so much guys!
Now I just have to roll up my sleeves and wire everything in and build the enclosure for this mess. One decision I made up front that I'm very glad of was to wire everything through the back.

**One note--I attempted to use some two part epoxy made for metal to metal adheasion this did not work under any stress at all.KIMG1129.jpgKIMG1128.jpgIMG531392299.jpg

Unread 10/24/2018, 05:56 AM   #33
McPuff
Registered Member

You're not messing around! I like it.

Unread 10/24/2018, 08:40 AM   #34
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
You're not messing around! I like it.
I'm hoping to accomplish an acro and euphyllia heavy set up in their relative areas (hence the drop off). instead of buying a setup and trying to make it work for the stock this is my attempt to build with the specific stock needs in mind. Hopefully with all the help I've received from guys who auctually keep the species I've done a halfway decent job considering the different species needs.

Unread 10/24/2018, 07:21 PM   #35
PuckHucker
Registered Member

You have some amazing vision for this. I like how original it is. I just started here, but Ill be keeping my eye on this one! Nice job!!

PuckHucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 07:41 PM   #36
boostedvq
Registered Member

The tank caught my interest but that light captured my attention (May or may not have stolen a DiCaprio line lol)

Following along for epic updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boostedvq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 12:50 AM   #37
Dsekula
Registered Member

Wired everything in tonight. Set up everything with the blue fish mini. except the night lights, right now those are only always on anyone have a recommendation for manual dimming I'm open to suggestions?
Pics are blue fish, only night lights, white, white and blue, and cyan. KIMG1152.jpgKIMG1151.jpgKIMG1154.jpgKIMG1155.jpgKIMG1157.jpg

Unread 10/27/2018, 12:55 AM   #38
Dsekula
Registered Member

Here's lime, amber, and all on. All pics were taken at 1% due to much stronger giving way too much glare for a pic. Sry the all look blue, the string of six blue is bright compaired to the rest at 1%.
Out of 198 LEDs I did have one amber arrive not working so I have the space ready and waiting for the replacement.KIMG1158.jpgKIMG1159.jpgKIMG1160.jpgIMG1771004805.jpg

Unread 10/27/2018, 12:57 AM   #39
Dsekula
Registered Member

Oh, and the uvs.. can't forget them KIMG1156.jpg

Unread 10/28/2018, 01:22 PM   #40
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well here's the basic frame I made for the light housing. I plan on connecting the Plexi glass and adding a plastic vineering so it's light weight and durable.

I also ordered a potentiometer to pwm out made for small DC motors to try on the blue night lights.IMG1357502064.jpg

Unread 11/03/2018, 08:48 AM   #41
Bpb
Registered Member

Favorite led layout ever

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 09:23 AM   #42
930Reef
Registered Member

Following along....man, you weren't kidding about your acrylic fabrication skills when you were looking at my 1974 TruVu 55 build!

I'm inspired by your plastic skills. I've just made an overflow box for the herbie I'm adding on mine, per your advice. I appreciate the help. Your project is awesome.

Do you order your Weldon online, or purchase locally?

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 10:10 AM   #43
Dsekula
Registered Member

Haha @Bpb!! It's your layout, or how you told me to do the layout
Thanks though, for all the help and the compliment. The lights are looking py sweet if I do say so myself.

Unread 11/03/2018, 10:14 AM   #44
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930Reef View Post
Following along....man, you weren't kidding about your acrylic fabrication skills when you were looking at my 1974 TruVu 55 build!

I'm inspired by your plastic skills. I've just made an overflow box for the herbie I'm adding on mine, per your advice. I appreciate the help. Your project is awesome.

Do you order your Weldon online, or purchase locally?
Thanks! And thank you for being a reasonable diyer and checking out who your getting advice from, too many people don't.
I get Weldon on line, it's not sold locally unless I drive to the nearest acrylic fab shop and buy off them and they buy online lol.
See, I told you I like the fun shaped tanks

Unread 11/03/2018, 10:20 AM   #45
Dsekula
Registered Member

Started closing up the frame. It's starting to look like a real fixture now
I'm a little annoyed the seam on the butt joint slid while curing. It's not as clear as I'd like but for something I'm not going to see I'm not going to cut it out and redo it.KIMG1193.jpgKIMG1191_2.jpgKIMG1190.jpg

Unread 12/10/2018, 05:07 PM   #46
Dsekula
Registered Member

I got the fans in and the housing all painted up IMG108038177.jpgIMG1959041495.jpg

Unread 12/10/2018, 05:21 PM   #47
Dsekula
Registered Member

Meet the dragons

So, one of my goals for the new dt is to have it full of awesome fish. I absolutely love the "dragon" type fish (scooters mandarins) and have been working to see how many my tank could potentially support. I'm currently at four. each fish has been carefully selected for it's interest in prepared food (before purchase each at least nibbled at frozen food). Two of the four will even eat pe pellets at this point. They have been slowly added months apart while also monitoring pod population and agressive between fish.IMG1281081048.jpgKIMG1354.jpgKIMG1357.jpgIMG529856299.jpg

Unread 12/11/2018, 08:07 AM   #48
McPuff
Registered Member

Hang on... you've got the tank up and running... and no pics?! This is unacceptable! :0)

This is a seriously great build. Really impressive. But we need more pics. :0)

Please.

Unread 12/11/2018, 11:29 AM   #49
Dsekula
Registered Member

Hahahaha!
No
The tanks not up yet, I had the old dt for 2+ yrs and pulled all the stock into the sump for safe keeping and have been qt and aquiring some of the new coral and fish. Current sump is roughly 135gals of water, ats, and 70+ lbs of rock and two bioblocks for pod farming. The holding section is roughly 60gals. As I said this will be a long drawn out build, it's been planned for with minimize swinging to the tank since I want to keep the current stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Hang on... you've got the tank up and running... and no pics?! This is unacceptable! :0)

This is a seriously great build. Really impressive. But we need more pics. :0)

Please.

Unread 04/09/2019, 07:51 PM   #50
Dsekula
Registered Member

Alright so I know I said long and drawn out build.. and I didn't lie by any means but here's an update b/c I'm horrible at this and don't do them often enough.

I finally got the carpets pulled and the wood refinished In the tank room. The area the tanks going is now all framed out. The lights are ready to be hung. All the rock is relatively planned out and has been cemented as needed. It has now been cured and cycled. All the new electric is done. All the fish have been through qt and are in various holding tanks and the sump system sat fallow for 73days just in case. that's we're everything is at i done a lot but it's been little prep stuff, I'm thinking the next post will auctually have a tank on that stand later this week. Some friends are supposed to help move it from the basement to the first floor because that's just not a one person job.IMG_20190409_212447.jpgIMG_20190409_212437.jpgMVIMG_20190407_124916.jpgIMG-20181226-WA0063.jpgIMG-20181222-WA0062.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk