Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/05/2010, 06:37 PM   #1
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Anyone DIY LEDs in their Biocube?

I'm interested to see if anybody DIY'd an LED setup in their Biocubes. Also would like to hear opinions on LEDs in that tank

bassplaya12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Mustang Boy
Registered Member

Cool

www.nanocustoms.com sells a kit with everything you need to put LEDs in your BC29. from all the reviews i have read everybody who has done it loves it

Mustang Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 06:55 PM   #3
fstar25
Getting there

Did it with mine! Love it!

Just bought a BC 14 that a member did a DIY led mod in too.

Here's my 29 with 29 Cree xr-e royal blues running @ 45% and 10 Cree xp-g cool whites running @ 50%

~Frank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg (61.2 KB, 145 views)

Current Tank Info: 29G BioCube with LED lighting, media basket, fuge (chamber 2), MJ1200 return pump, K nano & K 1 power heads, 32# LR, ~2" SB
fstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 07:26 PM   #4
bassplaya12
Registered Member

I've found some kits from I think it was rapidLED that were cheaper than nanotuners and seem to be the same quality. How many LEDs is enough for a BC14?

Fstar, you did the mod yourself? Where'd you buy supplies and was it overally complicated? That looks great, do you have pics of hood in the BC14 you just bought?

Unread 08/05/2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Walking_Target
Registered Member

The Nano Tuners heat sinks are by far superior, they're custom milled and have the holes necessary to mount into the hood alreadly drilled 90% of the way through.

Far nicer though, if you do a bit of custom work with their heatsink but use a 12 LED array and use buckpucks for dimming.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 07:47 PM   #6
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Oh yeah that's true, I didn't take into account the mounting. rapidLED's stuffs not as good?

Unread 08/05/2010, 07:51 PM   #7
fstar25
Getting there

Here'e the FS thread for the 14 I just bought

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871505

and here is the build thread for my 29G

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840046

Current Tank Info: 29G BioCube with LED lighting, media basket, fuge (chamber 2), MJ1200 return pump, K nano & K 1 power heads, 32# LR, ~2" SB
fstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 08:23 PM   #8
mike_cmu04
Registered Member

I have a 12 led diy on my 12 gallon nano cube and my sps has great growth and color the led's have been on the tank since may

mike_cmu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Mustang Boy
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplaya12 View Post
Oh yeah that's true, I didn't take into account the mounting. rapidLED's stuffs not as good?
for the most part the stuff at rapidLED is the same. they are the same LEDs, same drivers(although nanotuners has the option for dimmable drivers), same optics(although not needed for a BC29), although you dont get a heat sink from rapidLED you would have to source that elsewhere. nanotuners also has the option to upgrade the fans in your hood for even better cooling of their specially designed heat sinks that already work good with stock fans. nanotuners also bundles it up in a nice neat package that looks factory they even hide the drivers in project boxes so it all looks professional

Unread 08/05/2010, 10:43 PM   #10
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstar25 View Post
Here'e the FS thread for the 14 I just bought

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871505

and here is the build thread for my 29G

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840046
can't get to the for sale thread but I'll check out your build thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_cmu04 View Post
I have a 12 led diy on my 12 gallon nano cube and my sps has great growth and color the led's have been on the tank since may
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Boy View Post
for the most part the stuff at rapidLED is the same. they are the same LEDs, same drivers(although nanotuners has the option for dimmable drivers), same optics(although not needed for a BC29), although you dont get a heat sink from rapidLED you would have to source that elsewhere. nanotuners also has the option to upgrade the fans in your hood for even better cooling of their specially designed heat sinks that already work good with stock fans. nanotuners also bundles it up in a nice neat package that looks factory they even hide the drivers in project boxes so it all looks professional
Are rapidled's heatsinks anygood, they're reasonably priced. I could just buy fans from rapidled too. That neat package is why they can charge a hundred bucks more haha. I build guitar effects pedals so a bit of wiring to get them dimmable and putting them in project boxes doesn't intimidate me too much hah

Unread 08/06/2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Mustang Boy
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplaya12 View Post
Are rapidled's heatsinks anygood, they're reasonably priced. I could just buy fans from rapidled too. That neat package is why they can charge a hundred bucks more haha. I build guitar effects pedals so a bit of wiring to get them dimmable and putting them in project boxes doesn't intimidate me too much hah
i dont see anything wrong with their heatsinks except that they arent very good sizes for using under the hood of the biocube. the one from nanocustoms was specially designed to fit in the biocube hood and is machined by them inhouse. they perfected the fin size, shape, and design for the best cooling possible for the biocube and it includes holes for mounting to the biocube hood and if im not mistaken it still fits under the stock plastic shield.

at the least id go with the heatsink from nanotuners if for no other reason than how easily it will go into the hood of you biocube

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_in...roducts_id=632

Unread 08/07/2010, 10:21 AM   #12
bassplaya12
Registered Member

That's a good point, I just wish it wasn't twice as much haha

Unread 08/07/2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Mustang Boy
Registered Member

Cool

yea the price is a little high but there was tons of time in designing it so it would work perfectly in the biocube hood. it also comes predrilled(each hole is about 90% drilled which makes it a ton easier) so you will just have to drill the last 10% out in order to get the mounting holes done and the holes for the stars in too.

Unread 08/15/2010, 01:03 PM   #14
autopro
Registered Member

I did mine also and it turned out great. Here is the build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1708453

WSMC #616

Cuanto?

Pedro...

Current Tank Info: (in the works):65 gal. 72" long x 14.5" tall x 15" wide rimless, Bubble Magus NAC6A Skimmer, LED lighting 40gal. sump/refugium
autopro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy led biocube