Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2019, 08:36 AM   #1
t81rd
Registered Member

another ghost overflow noise thread

Just set up my new tank with ghost overflow and bean animal setup. The issue I am having is noise. Honestly sounds like water falling in the pipes themselves
I've tried:
raising and lowering standpipes to adjust the water level in the external box
adjusting gate valve in every position possible
adjusted water feed from Vectra m1 from lowest to fastest speeds

not sure what else to check/do

t81rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:09 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Need pictures and possible a video to properly diagnose the issue..
Need details on bulkhead/plumbing sizes,etc...
Need details on how the pipes enter into the sump (read carefully --> )The full and partial siphon drains should submerged and be no more than 1" under the water (1/2" is better) in the sump so that the system properly purges air during startup) <--this is a common reason for noise..

It can take time for the system to stabilize (minutes to hours or more)

Unread 03/25/2019, 11:09 AM   #3
t81rd
Registered Member

the pipes that enter the water is about 1/2 inches, I've tried resizing that and also mitering that pipe to no avail.

Unread 03/25/2019, 11:14 AM   #4
t81rd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Need details on bulkhead/plumbing sizes,etc... 1.5"
Need details on how the pipes enter into the sump (read carefully --> )The full and partial siphon drains should submerged and be no more than 1" under the water (1/2" is better) in the sump so that the system properly purges air during startup) <--this is a common reason for noise..

It can take time for the system to stabilize (minutes to hours or more) have had it running for 24+ hours

Unread 03/25/2019, 12:39 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t81rd View Post
the pipes that enter the water is about 1/2 inches, I've tried resizing that and also mitering that pipe to no avail.
Is about 1/2 inches what? In size.. Above the water? under the water?

Is there visible air bubbles coming out of the primary siphon during operation?
Are there visible air bubbles coming out of the secondary (open channel) during operation?

Can you get a picture in the sump and in the overflow box with the system running?

1/5" plumbing is quite large for the size of that system and it looks like your return piping is quite restrictive.. I would expect that you need your pump near full blast and the primary siphon nearly closed to stabilize that..
What size is your return piping? Looks like 1" if that..

Unread 03/25/2019, 04:14 PM   #6
t81rd
Registered Member

Quote:
Is about 1/2 inches what? In size.. Above the water? under the water?1/2 inch under the water

Is there visible air bubbles coming out of the primary siphon during operation?yes, can't seem to get them to go away
Are there visible air bubbles coming out of the secondary (open channel) during operation?yes same as primary cant get to go away

Can you get a picture in the sump and in the overflow box with the system running?[COLOR="red" I'll take them now[/COLOR]

1/5" plumbing is quite large for the size of that system and it looks like your return piping is quite restrictive.. ran 1.5" because that was what was provided with my sump and overflow (didnt see an if flow is x then decrease size notation) I would expect that you need your pump near full blast and the primary siphon nearly closed to stabilize that.. I'll try that now
What size is your return piping? 3/4 Looks like 1" if that..

Unread 03/25/2019, 05:07 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Likely that your return flow rate is too little and drains too large to purge air properly.. Report back on how pump on 100% and valve near closed works...

3/4" and how you have it is really restricting that pump...

Id still like to see inside the overflow box too when running and not

Unread 03/25/2019, 05:25 PM   #8
t81rd
Registered Member

Quote:
Likely that your return flow rate is too little and drains too large to purge air properly.. Report back on how pump on 100% and valve near closed works...

3/4" and how you have it is really restricting that pump...

Id still like to see inside the overflow box too when running and not
will do, leveling out the aquarium a little better hopefully that helps as well. would putting a restriction on the drain section help?

Unread 03/25/2019, 05:36 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t81rd View Post
will do, leveling out the aquarium a little better hopefully that helps as well. would putting a restriction on the drain section help?
Not typically...
I would really recommend upping main return path to 1" or even 1.25" all the way..(reactor branch can stay smaller) and going down to 1" drains for at least the full siphon .

Unread 03/25/2019, 05:57 PM   #10
t81rd
Registered Member

nvm, leveling made it quiet as can be. didn't think it was off enough to cause an issue