Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Tyler200
Registered Member

Need your opinion on ich

tanks been up and running for 5 years now added some new corals and a wrasse a few weeks ago and about 6 days ago i noticed what looks like ich on my hippo tang.
My Scopus tang that had it the worst is almost clean the hippo still has a few white specs left, 1 of 3 clowns has just a couple spots. just as fast as it came its going away. I did add FishVet No Ich (reef safe) i had laying around
all the other fish including a large naso, 3 firefish, 2 more clowns, damsel no signs at all

I've been reading up on the parasite life cycle and how I should probably remove all and QT but its a 150G with a ton of rocks and corals it would be a pain.

Question: since i caught it earlyish and it looks like its going away can i just wait it out and see what happens? And if a new generation of a parasite hatches i could then rip apart my tank and treat?

4 years ago i had a very mild outbreak and that fishvet stuff took care of it without any problems since

thoughts? > thanks!

Tyler200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 03:01 PM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Once its in your tank, it will never leave. If the fish is healthy enough its clime coat will do its job and project from infection, but add stress and the fish will show when its immune system drops and its slime coat gets thinner as a result.

I just finished 90 days of hyposalinity and I did it in my main display tank. I didn't have any corals or inverts to worry about so I just did hypo in my main system to get rid of Ich.

If you have corals and inverts you might not have any option but to dismantle the tank and get the fish out and treated if you truly want to get rid of Ich.

Here is a good read:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1991470

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, parasite, reef tank