Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2018, 08:21 PM   #1
sunnie901
Registered Member

Smile XP Aqua Ultimate ATO or Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF

Hi. I'm new to reef keeping and would like to add an ATO to my 50 gallon starfire 24"x24"x22" cube tank. I do have a sump.

I am trying to figure out the best ATO and thus far, these 2 are looking pretty good to me. I am sure that they are other very good ones out there as well.

I value the input from those of you who are experienced in this hobby and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I truly believe in buying the best the first time, and not repeat purchases due to inferior products.

Thank you all in advance!

XP Aqua Ultimate ATO - https://www.marinedepot.com/XP_Aqua_...FIDPAT-vi.html

Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...o-top-off.html

sunnie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 05:05 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Tunze.... Its proven..

Unread 08/24/2018, 06:18 AM   #3
krs1102
Registered Member

I just purchased the Tunze about four months ago. Love it. Did a ton of research and it seems to be the go to ATO for the vast majority.

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 12:18 PM   #4
mark344
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie901 View Post
Hi. I'm new to reef keeping and would like to add an ATO to my 50 gallon starfire 24"x24"x22" cube tank. I do have a sump.

I am trying to figure out the best ATO and thus far, these 2 are looking pretty good to me. I am sure that they are other very good ones out there as well.

I value the input from those of you who are experienced in this hobby and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I truly believe in buying the best the first time, and not repeat purchases due to inferior products.

Thank you all in advance!

XP Aqua Ultimate ATO - https://www.marinedepot.com/XP_Aqua_...FIDPAT-vi.html

Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...o-top-off.html

Tunze for me. I have one for 7 years. Replaced the pump 2x because my reservoir went dry. Sensors are still good. Make sure you clean them to remove CA build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 05:38 PM   #5
lapin
Registered Member

Tunze is what I have. I dont know about the other one. I like the fact i can turn off the alarm function. It has settings inside. My sump fills almost to the top when I do a water change and that alarm would be annoying. It also has another setting inside to set the pump volume for different size tanks.
Note: I dont like the apex one.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 08:46 PM   #6
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Over a year now on the Tunze with zero issues. Had the Hydor Smart previously. Less expensive, but more level fluctuation, and the sensor eventually went bad. The Tunze seems solid and has had great reviews.
I started a second smaller tank in my office and tried the Aquahub DYI from BRS. I enjoyed building it and after almost a year it has been very reliable. I don’t regret getting the Tunze at all for my large reef tank, but I think the kit is a solid, less expensive option.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 04:16 PM   #7
DreadCapn
Registered Member

Tunze all the way. My ATO got water damage on the board, and their support guided me on how to make the repairs to the circuit board (I felt comfortable doing this). They could have just said "screw you, you're out $100". You cannot beat that kind of service.

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Darrell Brady
Registered Member

like the spectapure ato cost little more but has a good warrenty.

Darrell Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 06:02 PM   #9
Darrell Brady
Registered Member

http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OF...c-Probe-Holder

Darrell Brady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ato auto top off, osmolator, tunze, xp aqua