Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2012, 06:16 AM   #1
markaren
Registered Member

Oceanic Half Circle 76G

I am looking for input from an owner of, or input I might be over looking before I make a purchase. My wife is letting me (bow gratefully) buy a tank (she advised against a drive to Chicago for the one I really wanted ).

This post is for seeking advice from reef keeper experience and considerations I may be over looking. The Tank is Pictured below. 76G Oceanic Half Circle. 45x23x25. Will I have issues with circulation? I am thinking it will have advantages here. Will it have "too" much distortion? I am thinking it will have some but not overwhelming. Will it have cool factor? I have a 4 and 6 year old and think this will be a winner. Will I have sump space issues? I am looking at it later today. It comes with the manufacturer T-5's ...I could not verify because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find real info on this style tank. Not sure why, were these commercial? I am paying 300.00 and think it is a great functional center rear reef tank. opinions please

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 76G Half Circle/XP2000SSS/MP40Wes/Radion Gen1, Tunze Osmolator ATO...Maturing Stage
markaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 06:29 AM   #2
mgargiullo
Registered Member

For 300 I think it's a cool deal no matter what. Sump space may be concern, but given the opportunity, I'd buy it

Current Tank Info: 112g mixed reef, 40g Breeder, 16g Nuvo and 8g Nuvo,
mgargiullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 07:30 AM   #3
markaren
Registered Member

I found that the 144G version sold new was 4300.00 (retail probably SRP) and figured this one must have been around 1K-2K. Although I am driven by the bargain I put a lot of faith in advice I have read here. Even though I have only posted recently I have been around for some time here. As you can see on my signature I am in the research faze...this tank just came along and I was not inclined to pass on it when my gut said "woooa horsey...what have we got here" So...RO/DI and a skimmer next and then find a sump to accommodate what I get. I almost bought a sump first and my wife did not like the idea of a Skimmer being on the outside. My skimmer list consist of either the ROS or an Aerofoamer from reef concepts. Just plugging along.

I like to get advice ...constructive critisism too. This Half Circle may need resealing...I have not seen it it person , But am generally presumptuous when I see a dry tank used. I am one of the handy guys that can do anything, so this is not much of a worry except 'what kind of sealant to buy'. Cleaning before sealing (vinegar on applying surface) is important as well as removal of old if needed.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 76G Half Circle/XP2000SSS/MP40Wes/Radion Gen1, Tunze Osmolator ATO...Maturing Stage
Unread 05/13/2012, 07:56 AM   #4
atomichead
Registered Member

I recently bought that very tank and couldn't be happier. You're right about a lack of info on these cause my research turned up almost nothing. I was lucky to find it at my LFS so they would warranty if there were leaks (luckily, not necessary).

This thing is built exceptionally well, as seems to be the reputation of Oceanic. The only problem I had was the wood panel behind the sump was made of particle board and had swollen from water damage. Easily replaced it with a piece of 3/4" plywood.

With 2 JBJ powerheads and an 1100 GPH circulation pump, there have been no issues with flow, but it's still early yet (2 months running).

As far as distortion, we've taken pictures through the glass and not had any problems. The only time I find myself effected by the bent glass is when I get within about 12" of it.

The sump area is a little smaller than I'd prefer but I've got a 24" x 12" x 14" sump and two reactors wedged in there so you can make it work. There is enough room for a 34" x 14" sump but that's about all you'll get.

The "cool" factor is a personal preference but I do get a lot of compliments. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

atomichead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 07:57 AM   #5
fishpoop
Registered Member

I have one and love it. circulation is good. Distortion isn't a problem, it's like you said. And I think it has a major coolness factor (: Getting a good size sump under it is the tricky part. but I found a LFS that could build a tank to my specs and had one made that fits perfectly for less than the cost of most sumps. I wouldn't assume it leaks, but give a test fill before setup. If you like I'll take some pis of my setup.
Great Tank!

fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 08:24 AM   #6
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomichead View Post

This thing is built exceptionally well, as seems to be the reputation of Oceanic....

With 2 JBJ powerheads and an 1100 GPH circulation pump, there have been no issues with flow, but it's still early yet (2 months running).

The sump area is a little smaller than I'd prefer but I've got a 24" x 12" x 14" sump and two reactors wedged in there so you can make it work. There is enough room for a 34" x 14" sump but that's about all you'll get.

The "cool" factor is a personal preference but I do get a lot of compliments. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Thank you sooo much. I am meeting at PM and have very little detail. I needed this info for research today
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoop View Post
I have one and love it. circulation is good. Distortion isn't a problem, it's like you said. And I think it has a major coolness factor (: Getting a good size sump under it is the tricky part. but I found a LFS that could build a tank to my specs and had one made that fits perfectly for less than the cost of most sumps. I wouldn't assume it leaks, but give a test fill before setup. If you like I'll take some pis of my setup.
Great Tank!
Again, priceless info or me right from the start. My guess on the lack f info...maybe these tanks where so expensive new that most average starters or up-graders quickly determine any other options are more for the dollar . The tank seems a bit along the show tank elite of the unique.

I have a used sump 23x10x16 that has a 9x10 skimmer area. What skimmers are the two of you using?

Unread 05/13/2012, 08:29 AM   #7
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I think you'll have some challenges with even lighting, to a small extent, and sump space. That's nothing creative use of LEDs and DIY acrylic sump work can't solve though. Aquascapng may also pose an initial challenge, but I'm sire it will be fine. Post a build log, I'm interested in seeing it grow.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 08:58 AM   #8
fishpoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaren View Post
Thank you sooo much. I am meeting at PM and have very little detail. I needed this info for research today

I have a used sump 23x10x16 that has a 9x10 skimmer area. What skimmers are the two of you using?
Mine is 24x12x17 so yours will work well. I use an old euro-reef cs-100 skimmer.

Unread 05/13/2012, 09:03 AM   #9
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I think you'll have some challenges with even lighting, to a small extent, and sump space. That's nothing creative use of LEDs and DIY acrylic sump work can't solve though. Aquascapng may also pose an initial challenge, but I'm sire it will be fine. Post a build log, I'm interested in seeing it grow.
I am going to do a build log. The start is probably a few months out or less depending on the acquisition of supply's. The cycling and pre build will begin in about 2 weeks depending on getting the Ro/di set up. I will post pictures tonight showing the purchase and pre condition before reconditioning issues (presumable) do to the price...we'll see The depth looks to be on the edge of lighting issues as well as to the sides. I like your idea on consideration for a DIY led solutionins.

Last edited by markaren; 05/13/2012 at 09:12 AM.
Unread 05/13/2012, 09:34 AM   #10
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Mine is 24x12x17 so yours will work well. I use an old euro-reef cs-100 skimmer.
Thanks...pics would be GREAT!!!

Unread 05/13/2012, 09:43 AM   #11
atomichead
Registered Member

Lighting is a good point in that it will be uneven based on the tank's construction. The top brace has one large rectangular hole centrally placed with one smaller rectangle on each side. I have six 24" TruLumen LED strips across the center rectangle. This does leave either side less well lit but I figure I'll put the light-loving creatures in the center of the display. TruLumen makes 12" long strips which would work on the side openings if necessary. Depth is no different because of the tank shape. Need more light... buy more lighting!

Unread 05/13/2012, 10:03 AM   #12
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomichead View Post
TruLumen makes 12" long strips which would work on the side openings if necessary. Depth is no different because of the tank shape. Need more light... buy more lighting!
Great...do you all have pictures of your tanks to add here?

Unread 05/13/2012, 11:44 AM   #13
fishpoop
Registered Member

Sure, here's the full Monty

A little closer

Lighting 250w coralife mh. The ballast for the t-5"s went out and I found a LED alternative which is tucked up where the old bulbs were.

Under the hood from the left. Heater, GFO reactor, GAC reactor, filter sock, skimmer and pump. then wires timers dosing pumps etc...

Unread 05/13/2012, 11:59 AM   #14
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure, here's the full Monty

Under the hood from the left. Heater, GFO reactor, GAC reactor, filter sock, skimmer and pump. then wires timers dosing pumps etc...

OMGoodness ...SWEET!! Now I am getting excited Thank you so much. I would have never known you could pack so much into that space.
I found the following from a supplier.

DESCRIPTION LIST PRICE
76 Gallon Half Circle Reef Ready $1,059.95
144 Gallon Half Circle Reef Ready $1,999.95
76 Gallon Half Circle Aquarium Only $899.95
144 Gallon Half Circle Aquarium Only $1,779.95
STANDS
76 Gallon Half Circle Stand $1,049.95
144 Gallon Half Circle Stand $1,444.95

Unread 05/13/2012, 12:03 PM   #15
fishpoop
Registered Member

I bought mine new maybe 6? years ago and I don't (I refuse to) remember what I paid, but you sir, are getting a sweet deal!

Unread 05/13/2012, 01:06 PM   #16
markaren
Registered Member

May I nominate you as a Tank of the Month? Pleasing to know what can be done with a tank I have not started yet. Amazing...

Unread 05/13/2012, 01:38 PM   #17
fishpoop
Registered Member

Well thank you!
It's had its ups and downs. I was away from it for over a year at one point and had someone else tending it but not committed to it so it declined. Over the last year or so I made a full commitment to making it the best I can and keeping some sps healthy. I'm very happy with the tank and was surprised that (at least with MH lighting) stuff will thrive from one end to the other.

Unread 05/13/2012, 01:51 PM   #18
mkengr45
Registered Member

$300 is crazy cheap for that tank.....I'm jealous

mkengr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 05:17 PM   #19
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkengr45 View Post
$300 is crazy cheap for that tank.....I'm jealous
Got it...headed home. She threw in a skimmer for 5 dollar s.

Unread 05/14/2012, 06:09 AM   #20
markaren
Registered Member

A couple of issues ...non-issues. She had draped the heater into the skimmer of the tank against the drain tube to get it out of the way but keep it with the tank...then put the light on top...then just plugged in both plugs not thinking that the heater would...HEAT. It melted the plumbing end tube and is easily fixable. I smelled it when I walked in. She says the tank started to leak...It looks perfect except the two corners do not have flattened silicone smoothness...ah HA...so I am going to strip and reseal the tank first. The top hood can be held with one finger...plastic and aluminum.It had three glass doors to seal the top of the tank and or the hood has the same mold openings as the tank molding ...to raise the glass 10 inches of the tank allowing ventilation from the rear. The skimmer is not the quality I am going to use...the sump is a drip bio blah blah two chamber non bubble trapping hunk...not gonna use it either. Pictures coming later today.

Unread 05/14/2012, 09:36 AM   #21
atomichead
Registered Member

Dang Fishpoop, that is inspiring! Can I ask how you've setup water flow in the tank?

Unread 05/14/2012, 11:14 AM   #22
fishpoop
Registered Member

Why thanks!
Sure, I have two Koralia Evolution 1050gph powerheads, one on each side pointed toward the middle and alternating on about a 2 min cycle. Then there's another 750 gph in the lower left that cycles 4 min on and 4 off. I use a Hydor SELTZ L40 Pump 740 gph for the return.

Unread 05/14/2012, 12:21 PM   #23
atomichead
Registered Member

What purpose does the 750 gph pump serve? Is it to stir detritus?

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:43 PM   #24
markaren
Registered Member

Quote:
Why thanks!
Sure, I have two Koralia Evolution 1050gph powerheads, one on each side pointed toward the middle and alternating on about a 2 min cycle. Then there's another 750 gph in the lower left that cycles 4 min on and 4 off. I use a Hydor SELTZ L40 Pump 740 gph for the return.
...as I reach over and take another note to self ...

Unread 05/14/2012, 05:37 PM   #25
markaren
Registered Member

Pictures with comments of getting familiar.

The size is perfect. Not too small ...not too big.

This came with it...for 5 Dollar more...Total 305.00
Ebay ...to pay for new sump and 1000sss Skimmer.

First issue...she left the heater in the skimmer drain area ...PLUGGED in before I got there. Easy Fix.

Second issue...it leaks at the corners. Sad to see a persons intellect shine here...she actually thought that silicone on the outside Glass/Tray portion near the corner on each side would fix a leak

The hood is plastic and aluminum...light and lasting. Note the unique multi function of removable glass access panels (3 in all). Lay them to the tank frame...snug and air like tight....OR...Lay them on the exact matching hood cut outs to have 10 inches of ventilation to the rear exit.

The Plumbing is adjustable...NOTE: first pic compared to second show telescoping system on the drain height.

The quality is amazing...Priceless. I love the cubes ...but this is soooo nice in person.