Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2018, 09:56 AM   #1
kizanne
Registered Member

Ugh Michael

I almost stopped this hobby after Hermine followed by Irma wiped much of my tanks.

But no last xmas I treated myself to a seahorse pair and started gathering other pairs.

But Michael will assure that we lose power soon. I do have a generator but the tanks will be without power for hours. We will see how many days our house is without power. Do we have enough gas?

At least I shipped out two babies yesterday to Arkansas. They should make it and be safe.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 10:15 AM   #2
JVan82
Registered Member

I feel ya, will be investing in a whole home system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 12:37 PM   #3
kizanne
Registered Member

Yeah I don't have a whole home system. Powers out now but need to wait for the worst to pass before dragging the generator out

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 10/10/2018, 01:28 PM   #4
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizanne View Post
Yeah I don't have a whole home system. Powers out now but need to wait for the worst to pass before dragging the generator out
Im in SW Ga, just starting here...

Unread 10/12/2018, 11:56 AM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

We are still without power.

Unread 10/12/2018, 01:07 PM   #6
JVan82
Registered Member

Yikes, where ya from?

Unread 10/12/2018, 07:40 PM   #7
kizanne
Registered Member

Tallahassee

Unread 10/13/2018, 03:43 AM   #8
JVan82
Registered Member

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Unread 10/13/2018, 06:05 PM   #9
kizanne
Registered Member

Me too. We are still without power. The cell service is also spotty at our house. But they claim by tomorrow evening we will probably be back on. I've lost a few babies, my brine isn't hatching well. Don't know if it is less light, lower temps, this batch of eggs. I barely have enough outlets for all the tanks yet alone all the brine, algae etc.

Unread 10/13/2018, 07:02 PM   #10
JVan82
Registered Member

Ive had decent luck with frozen baby brine

Unread 10/13/2018, 07:18 PM   #11
kizanne
Registered Member

Yea I have some but it takes time to wean. I'm also feeding once a day since I don't have good filtration.

Unread 10/13/2018, 07:50 PM   #12
JVan82
Registered Member

Well hope its back on tomorrow for ya.

Unread 10/14/2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Joe0813
Registered Member

Just asking but why wait until the storm is passing to bring out the generator? When we got destroyed by a snow storm and lost power I brought it out as soon as power went out for longer than an hour.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 12:22 PM   #14
JVan82
Registered Member

If you set it up during the strom, you run the risk of it getting water famage, or worse it blows away...

Unread 10/14/2018, 06:02 PM   #15
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
Just asking but why wait until the storm is passing to bring out the generator? When we got destroyed by a snow storm and lost power I brought it out as soon as power went out for longer than an hour.
Ha. Well a hurricane is slightly different than a snow storm.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 06:46 PM   #16
Joe0813
Registered Member

well ya but northeasters here can blow 60mph winds and have the snow covered trees fall from the weight of the snow... even the hurricanes we've had here, I still put the generator out.

Unread 10/14/2018, 07:10 PM   #17
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
well ya but northeasters here can blow 60mph winds and have the snow covered trees fall from the weight of the snow... even the hurricanes we've had here, I still put the generator out.
Nor'easter are fun!

Unread 10/14/2018, 07:32 PM   #18
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan82 View Post
Nor'easter are fun!

I plow so I love them and make a good amount of money pushing this white stuff... so snow awaaaaay

Unread 10/15/2018, 10:27 AM   #19
kizanne
Registered Member

Well we wait for the worst of it to be over for a couple reasons. When the wind is blowing 90 mph with gust of up to 105 mph it doesn't take a very large piece of debris to ruin your day (body damage to the person putting it out). And our property has several trees 80 to 100 foot tall that weigh many tons. Kinda don't want that to crush the generator.

Power came back yesterday so now I'm changing water and cleaning tanks. I have too many tanks to run all the equipment on the generator so the lights were left off for a good chunk or time. reduced feedings.

Most the larger stock / breeding stock survived fine.

Unfortunately my male seahorse was in a hospital tank and the ammonia got too high. I caught it before he suffered but... He was very pregnant at the time and I"m worried the babies may have been harmed. I don't mind losing the babies but dead babies in a pouch could take out the male. Anyways he'd due. he released 6 yesterday then stopped.

Lost a few seahorse babies who couldn't take the reduced feeding, my brine wasn't hatching well with lower temps and no light. Lost a pipefish. Think I lost my tetra culture.

I had just gotten a male mandarin from the LFS on Saturday who was in the middle of his feeding protocol who has also had reduce brine feeding. he's still looking ok but he was skinny when I got him so hopefully he'll get plumped up if I can get more brine going. He had some fin damage as well. Tempted to throw him in with the girl since she'll show him how to eat, and that tank has some other small foods. But it also has pipefish and seahorses so it isn't going to fully support a mandarin by itself. It would give him things to graze on. I could throw the brine feeder in there. The female would show him how to use it and how to eat frozen but the pipe would also eat the brine they love the feeder.

It's good to have power back. Now I just need to get everything cleaned back up and moving forward.

Last edited by kizanne; 10/15/2018 at 10:49 AM.
Unread 10/15/2018, 12:35 PM   #20
Joe0813
Registered Member

Glad you didn't take any major losses.

Unread 10/15/2018, 12:40 PM   #21
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizanne View Post
Well we wait for the worst of it to be over for a couple reasons. When the wind is blowing 90 mph with gust of up to 105 mph it doesn't take a very large piece of debris to ruin your day (body damage to the person putting it out). And our property has several trees 80 to 100 foot tall that weigh many tons. Kinda don't want that to crush the generator.

Power came back yesterday so now I'm changing water and cleaning tanks. I have too many tanks to run all the equipment on the generator so the lights were left off for a good chunk or time. reduced feedings.

Most the larger stock / breeding stock survived fine.

Unfortunately my male seahorse was in a hospital tank and the ammonia got too high. I caught it before he suffered but... He was very pregnant at the time and I"m worried the babies may have been harmed. I don't mind losing the babies but dead babies in a pouch could take out the male. Anyways he'd due. he released 6 yesterday then stopped.

Lost a few seahorse babies who couldn't take the reduced feeding, my brine wasn't hatching well with lower temps and no light. Lost a pipefish. Think I lost my tetra culture.

I had just gotten a male mandarin from the LFS on Saturday who was in the middle of his feeding protocol who has also had reduce brine feeding. he's still looking ok but he was skinny when I got him so hopefully he'll get plumped up if I can get more brine going. He had some fin damage as well. Tempted to throw him in with the girl since she'll show him how to eat, and that tank has some other small foods. But it also has pipefish and seahorses so it isn't going to fully support a mandarin by itself. It would give him things to graze on. I could throw the brine feeder in there. The female would show him how to use it and how to eat frozen but the pipe would also eat the brine they love the feeder.

It's good to have power back. Now I just need to get everything cleaned back up and moving forward.
Glad its baxk on and the loss wasn't worse.

Unread 10/15/2018, 08:40 PM   #22
kizanne
Registered Member

Well I came home from work today and he had released the babies. Hopefully he got them all out.