Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2019, 11:37 AM   #1
nightOwl
Premium Member

Magnesium consumption on large tank...need help

So my tank is coming along pretty good. Corals for the most part have settled in and are doing well. There are a few that are not growing but still alive. I am dosing mg (200ml), cal (10ml), and alk (90ml) each day. I need to verify that my doser is accurate but I am averaging 1320 ppm but I want much higher. I am wondering for bigger tanks what is the daily mg consumption? Just looking to get some ideas before I start adjusting my doser amount again.

I have a SPS dominated tank and several large caps which are notorious for consuming Mg but seems like I am dosing a lot of Mag just to keep it stable.

Current parameters as of yesterday are as follows:
  • Alk - 137 (Hanna)
  • Mg - 1320 ppm(Sailfert)
  • Cal - 400 ppm
  • Phosphate - 1 (Hanna Ultra Low)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Unread 12/31/2019, 02:23 AM   #2
chris.viner87
Registered Member

What dosing products are you using, how old is the tank and how long has this extra demand been? I use triton on 2 systems and often find the systems go through a period of needing a lot of magnesium.

Dose through it and it’ll stopped eventually - also get an ICP done if you don’t have a recent one, because it might be that you’re also low on something else like strontium which won’t be helping the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris.viner87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 02:31 AM   #3
chris.viner87
Registered Member

Cracking build by the way - just quickly flicked through to get a better idea (still need those questions answering though).

Do you have a decent FTS you could share?

Unread 12/31/2019, 04:49 PM   #4
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.viner87 View Post
What dosing products are you using, how old is the tank and how long has this extra demand been? I use triton on 2 systems and often find the systems go through a period of needing a lot of magnesium.

Dose through it and it’ll stopped eventually - also get an ICP done if you don’t have a recent one, because it might be that you’re also low on something else like strontium which won’t be helping the situation.

chris.viner87 - Currently I am using Seachem Reef advantage for the Mg and BRS for the Alk and Cal. I am going to be switching over to MeCoral supplements once I finish out the last gallon or so of the existing stuff. My tank has been up and running since about June of 2018 with corals. I killed off my first few batches getting use to LEDs. I plan on getting and ICP test done early Jan. I found I had one left from when I first started the tank. I had initially planned to do it twice a year but that fell through. I use Kent Kent Marine Strontium and Molybdenum form time to time but not like I use to. I need to start back to a real regimen. I will put it on a doser so I don't have to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.viner87 View Post
Cracking build by the way - just quickly flicked through to get a better idea (still need those questions answering though).

Do you have a decent FTS you could share?

chris.viner87 - Thanks for the kind words on the build. I have been slacking but next year (tomorrow...lol) . I plan to get back on the weekly water changes and order some new fish..lol. I will try to post a FTS in the next day or so. I snapped a few today but it was during my heavy blue period so I am not sure how they will come out.

Unread 12/31/2019, 04:50 PM   #5
chris.viner87
Registered Member

Cool - get the ICP sorted and then let’s have a look