Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2021, 01:21 AM   #1
xCry0x
Registered Member

LDD-700 driver troubleshooting help

Hey all - looking for some thoughts on this.

I have a DIY fixture running off 4x meanwell ldd-700h drivers.

One of my channels is broken; it turns on and the power can be ramped up/down, but it is incredibly dim and even at 100% is only putting out maybe 5% output.

I'm fairly certain its a driver issue. My channels are all connected on barrel connectors and I can swap them around freely and when I swap, the lights on that channel hit the same issue.

So I spent an hour today replacing the driver. Plugged the one channel in, it seemed to work (I'm fairly certain, although second guessing myself now). Plugged everything else back in, put my driver case back together. And then the light was back to the same behavior.

So my main question is -- the symptoms sound like its still a driver issue right?

It has me a bit concerned because the light channel turns on, its just dim. And I can control it in that I can ramp it up/down -- its just always super dim. So it seems like the driver is working, its just not powering the channel correctly?

===

Additional context; the cause of the issue originally was I was dumb and didn't wrap my barrel connectors in electrical tape. One got tank water on it at some point. When I noticed the issue the wiring on the male connector was rusted out. So I'm assuming it surged the channel at some point.

I replaced the rusted male connector.

Then after plugging everything back together and having it work/then not work, I replaced the female connector after that and it didn't change anything.

I ordered 2 more drivers - but looking for thoughts on this since its a pretty big pain to desolder/resolder and I'm wondering if someone more knowledgeable in the area may have a thought on an issue I may be missing.

Thanks!

Unread 02/24/2021, 09:35 PM   #2
oreo57
Registered Member

Weird.... Guess I'd check the pwm wire to the controller.
.What controller are you using?

If the malfunctioning channel is the only one plugged in what happens?

Could be an issue with the power feed to that LDD too.

Last edited by oreo57; 02/24/2021 at 09:59 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2021, 05:37 PM   #3
xCry0x
Registered Member

I'm fairly certain the slot on the driver board was bad. Compounded by my awful desoldering skills.

I realized my board had 5 driver slots; one was filled with a smaller driver intended for moonlights that I was not using. So I removed that, put a new 700 mhz in its place -- and magic, things seem to be working.

(knock on wood!)

Was a pretty confusing set of circumstances! And I learned a lot about removing electrical components from a board -- primarily that it is not fun to do.

Unread 03/04/2021, 07:31 PM   #4
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x View Post
I'm fairly certain the slot on the driver board was bad. Compounded by my awful desoldering skills.

I realized my board had 5 driver slots; one was filled with a smaller driver intended for moonlights that I was not using. So I removed that, put a new 700 mhz in its place -- and magic, things seem to be working.

(knock on wood!)

Was a pretty confusing set of circumstances! And I learned a lot about removing electrical components from a board -- primarily that it is not fun to do.
Glad you solved it and reported back.

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote