Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 11:43 AM   #1
CleanReef
Registered Member

What if I...

What if I stop cleaning the display of an established aquarium? I do not currently clean or scrape the back wall, and I don't notice anything out of control in terms of algae or anything, but if I am heading out of town for an extended period of time, I dont necessarily want the sitter to clean the glass (as it is actually acrylic, and can easily scratch if the sitter doesn't know what they are doing).

What I am asking is: If I were to stop cleaning the display glass for 6 months, or more, what problems do you foresee happening?, assuming I am confident I am able to remove the buildup when I return.

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Snails will clean it. If you don’t clean your back glass then it will look just like that looks.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 12:03 PM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Build up of corraline algae or green nuisance algae. Either way a scraper will take it off.

Unread 03/16/2018, 12:10 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you stop cleaning it stuff will likely grow on it.. plain and simple..

How much and what has too many variables involved to answer with any certainty..

Stuff growing on it is only going to impede someones ability to see into the tank..

Unread 03/16/2018, 12:26 PM   #5
RCS82
Registered Member

6 months is a long time. The acrylic will just be covered in algeas, no biggie, its just aesthetics. I would be more worried about equipment failures, etc over some algea growing. Hopefully you have a real good tank sitter like a fellow reefer friend, if it were me I would be looking for a tank maintainance company to stop in periodically and make sure things are running smooth.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:40 PM   #6
outssider
Registered Member

I have seen coralline algae permanently etch glass ! I would imagine it would be worse with acrylic....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:40 PM   #7
gary_bergman
Registered Member

Done it for about 3 months. Algae grows, just like it would on your rocks or back glass. It’s not detrimental to the tank. If anything you’ll see some neat little hitchhikers foraging for food.

gary_bergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:42 PM   #8
gary_bergman
Registered Member

I’d adjust your light if possible so it shines on the glass in o’malley, but it depends on the type of light you have and if that is a possibility for you.

gary_bergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:32 PM   #9
CleanReef
Registered Member

Thank you truly for all of your messages. I gotta get a controller more than ever now....

My plan here is to leave new equipment installed and in place, but turned off, have that mapped out to PBs and turn it on should a failure occur. Hopefully, as always, it wont. I will also replace critical components before I leave like my questionable Chinese return pump as I could imagine that would be a component no sitter could replace. I wish I had friends who were into reefing that lived close enough to me to help out, but alas, I don't.

Once again, thank you for the thoughts and suggestions.

outsider, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. That would suck.

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:55 PM   #10
BrettDS
Registered Member

I’m not sure how much time you have and how much you want to spend and replace, but for me the big key is redundancy. I have two separate dedicated circuits for my 220G tank. I have two return pumps (one plugged into each circuit) and two heaters (again, one in each) and the lights and circulation pumps are split between the two circuits as well.

This way if I lose a heater or a return or circulation pump, or even a whole circuit or power bar the tank can keep operating. In fact, I had a GFCI outlet trip while I was on vacation a few months ago, which took out half my equipment, but the other half kept running and the tank was fine for 3 or 4 days until I got home to reset it.

I also have an apex to monitor the tank, so I could verify that the temp was still good and a webcam so I could see the tank and verify that water was still moving. I could have called someone to go in and reset the outlet for me, but between the apex and the web cam I could see that everything was fine and there really was no need to.

If you can only do one thing before you go, I would get a webcam. Just being able to open an app and visually check the tank and see that the lights are on and the fish are moving and the water is circulating is a big comfort to me when I’m away from my tank for days or weeks.

After that I would get an apex so you can check the temp whenever you want and get alerts if something goes wrong.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote