Registered Member

Acropora Humilis

Acropora Samoensis

Pocillopora Eydouxi

Stylopora Pistillata

Acropora Valida

Tridacna Maxima

Tridacna Crocea

Last edited by yano; 12/04/2017 at 04:31 PM.
yano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 02:09 PM   #177
yano
Registered Member

Juvenile Pygoplites Diacanthus (Regal Angelfish)

Last edited by yano; 12/04/2017 at 04:35 PM.
Unread 01/04/2017, 02:15 PM   #178
doktorfisch
Registered Member

Colorful corals, clean and beautiful sand. Amazing that clean rock!

doktorfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 03:27 PM   #179
vhuang168
Registered Member

Nice growth n color! Do you trust that Regal with your sps!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 03:34 PM   #180
africangrey
Registered Member

How do you keep the system so clean, can you share your filtration method, skimmer? carbon dosing?

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 03:50 PM   #181
doktorfisch
Registered Member

And why the coralline is not covering the rocks. Is it top secret? :-)

doktorfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 05:05 PM   #182
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
very nice tank

what clean up crew do you have to keep your rocks and sand what looks completely clean? Or do you take pictures right after a water change?
Thanks. No water change or cleaning, Iīve a good clean up crew (enough nerites snails, clibanarius tricolor and pagurites cadenati hermit crabs and any turbo, snail, nassarius snails and 2 strombus, 2 holoturia atra) but the main cause of tank cleaning are its low nutrientes but maintaining the biological balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorfisch View Post
Colorful corals, clean and beautiful sand. Amazing that clean rock!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Nice growth n color! Do you trust that Regal with your sps!?!
Regal angel cause less polyp extension in SPS corals, but no issues damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
How do you keep the system so clean, can you share your filtration method, skimmer? carbon dosing?
No carbon dosing required, my fish stock is very low (regal angel fish and 4 pair of gobies)...only live rock and low skimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorfisch View Post
And why the coralline is not covering the rocks. Is it top secret? :-)
I,ve never had a big growth of coraline algae in this tank...I think that itīs caused by strong lighting (12 T5 tubes lamp) and low nutrients.
It is curious as in the glasses (where the light does not come so directly) if there is a strong growth of coralline algae, although light pink. Every 2 months I step a blade to clean the rear glass for this reason.

Unread 01/04/2017, 06:24 PM   #183
reefmutt
Registered Member

Beautiful! Coming along very nicely, Yano.
It looks so natural with all the encrusting corals.
I love the echinata and porites up against each other.
Can you details your lighting schedule and bulges used?
I'm very happy to see the tank still going.
I think I remember you considering taking it down.
I'm such a unique and cool set up!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 07:15 PM   #184
Piper27
I love bengals

My tank only has a dominate green Coraline algae. Not much of the other colors. Kind of wierd and I was wondering why. Not that I can complaint int it's easy to scrape off.

Corals are beautiful as always tank!

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 10:38 PM   #185
MichaelW
Registered Member

I wish my sand would stay so beutiful and white. Are your gobies sand sifters? Any thing else you do in particular to keep it so nice? You mention low nutrients but good "biological balance" could you go into detail a little more by what you mean when you say this. I really love the clean look you have achieved.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 05:46 AM   #186
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Beautiful! Coming along very nicely, Yano.
It looks so natural with all the encrusting corals.
I love the echinata and porites up against each other.
Can you details your lighting schedule and bulges used?
I'm very happy to see the tank still going.
I think I remember you considering taking it down.
I'm such a unique and cool set up!
Very thanks!
My lighting schedule are 12 T5 tubes:
- 4 PS Crystal blue (10h/day)
- 4 PS Spectra+ (8h/day)
- 4 KZ New Generation (4h/day)
I donīt know meaning of "bulges", sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
My tank only has a dominate green Coraline algae. Not much of the other colors. Kind of wierd and I was wondering why. Not that I can complaint int it's easy to scrape off.

Corals are beautiful as always tank!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I wish my sand would stay so beutiful and white. Are your gobies sand sifters? Any thing else you do in particular to keep it so nice? You mention low nutrients but good "biological balance" could you go into detail a little more by what you mean when you say this. I really love the clean look you have achieved.
No, my gobies arenīt sand sifters....they are:
- Pair of Acanthemblemaria Hancocki
- Pair of Priolepis Nocturna
- Pair of Priolepis Cinta
- 2 (No pair) Stonogobiops nematodes (one in symbiosis with alpheus randalli)

When I say this, I mean that today it is easy to reduce nutrients and get very low levels of nitrate and phosphate with the skimmer available, probiotic methods, etc ... but often this leads us to overburden some nutrient producing imbalances Biological results that result in a dirtier aquarium, cyanobacteria, biofilm breakdown, dirty rocks, etc.
To get a clean and healthy aquarium, you have to keep the nutrients at very low levels but without altering the correct biological balance of the aquarium.

Unread 01/05/2017, 01:18 PM   #187
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Yano.
'Bulges' is autocorrect for bulbs.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 05:24 AM   #188
Magem
Registered Member

Beautiful and very natural as always ....

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 09:42 AM   #189
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Tank looks great! Thanks for the update.

Unread 01/10/2017, 10:54 PM   #190
cflow
Registered Member

New follower here. I actually found your Iwagumi tank thread and found it so amazing, I had to tag along. I am a zeovit user and have been constantly getting dinoflagellate infections to the point where I'm getting pretty burned out of the hobby in general. Your tank is an inspiration. Your corals are also very similar to my style. Compact digitate acros, bright stylos, pocci, and birdsnest. Very cool. I noticed that in your Iwagumi tank you left zeovit. I want to ask how you did that? Slowly took your reactor offline? I don't know if I'll stop zeo with my current tank, but I may build another tank and just use live rock, carbon, and patience. I've found that simple is sometimes best. Thank you for posting. It is truly an inspiration.

cflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 11:35 AM   #191
cflow
Registered Member

I have a few questions if you don't mind. They always say to ask a master reefer for a better idea of the hobby. I noticed that you don't have a filter sock. If you don't use one, do you keep a clean up crew in the sump? I also noticed that you mentioned you don't do water changes. If you do, how much/often and what brand of salt do you use? I may have read into it too much, but I just want to make sure. One last question, do you use the caribsea oolite that is live sand or was it dry. You made this look so simple, it blows my mind.

Unread 01/15/2017, 07:05 AM   #192
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflow View Post
New follower here. I actually found your Iwagumi tank thread and found it so amazing, I had to tag along. I am a zeovit user and have been constantly getting dinoflagellate infections to the point where I'm getting pretty burned out of the hobby in general. Your tank is an inspiration. Your corals are also very similar to my style. Compact digitate acros, bright stylos, pocci, and birdsnest. Very cool. I noticed that in your Iwagumi tank you left zeovit. I want to ask how you did that? Slowly took your reactor offline? I don't know if I'll stop zeo with my current tank, but I may build another tank and just use live rock, carbon, and patience. I've found that simple is sometimes best. Thank you for posting. It is truly an inspiration.
Yes, I retired zeovit slowly.
The first thing you must do is not to change your zelitas anymore, and reduce the flow in the reactor to the minimum possible. Then slowly withdraw the amount of zeolites, removing a small handful every 7-15 days as you look at the aquarium ... the idea is to empty the reactor in 2-3 months

Unread 01/15/2017, 07:23 AM   #193
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a few questions if you don't mind. They always say to ask a master reefer for a better idea of the hobby. I noticed that you don't have a filter sock. If you don't use one, do you keep a clean up crew in the sump? I also noticed that you mentioned you don't do water changes. If you do, how much/often and what brand of salt do you use? I may have read into it too much, but I just want to make sure. One last question, do you use the caribsea oolite that is live sand or was it dry. You made this look so simple, it blows my mind.
Filter sock helps keep the sump free of detritus, but should be cleaned almost daily if you do not want detritus accumulated in them to increase the level of dissolved nutrients in the water ... it's a question of choosing which you prefer to clean, if the Filter sock or sump?
So far in my aquariums I have always preferred to clean the sump, but for it is important to have a design of the same that facilitates this work. In my case, the design of the sump and a circulation pump at the bottom of the same make the detritus accumulate only in its aisle and front so it is easy to siphon them a couple of times a week.
This way, I change little more than 1 gallon of water every time I siphon it ... apart from these small changes I make one or two partial changes of water (5-6 gallons) every month. I use the neomarine salt of brightwell aquatics ... this is my favorite brand and the one I use in all my additives except for the feeding of corals, which I use AAHC and Coral Vitalizer of korallenzucht.

About sand, itīs live sand (Bahamas Oolite) but I always treat it first with osmosis water (leaving it several days in soaking and doing some rinsing) to eliminate or reduce as much as possible its bacteria because I cure my rock apart so my aquariums start with already cured rock and few nutrients and the Living sand could be harmful in that case.

Last edited by yano; 12/04/2017 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:26 AM   #194
cflow
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. I posted a thread on the international zeovit forum asking how to stop as well. G. Alexander gave me his method, but I'm sure he has never done it himself. It looks like you have some methodology from both zeovit and triton in a way. Very cool. I like that less is more. Have you encounter dinoflagellates or cyano in either of your builds?

Unread 01/15/2017, 12:16 PM   #195
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I posted a thread on the international zeovit forum asking how to stop as well. G. Alexander gave me his method, but I'm sure he has never done it himself. It looks like you have some methodology from both zeovit and triton in a way. Very cool. I like that less is more. Have you encounter dinoflagellates or cyano in either of your builds?
Dinoflagellates never, cyano temporarily in my "iwagumi reef" tank.

Unread 01/15/2017, 02:54 PM   #196
gdemos
Registered Member

I really enjoy the artistry of your tank(s) and your photos like a narrative, tell a good story. Very well done!

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 03:53 AM   #197
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
I really enjoy the artistry of your tank(s) and your photos like a narrative, tell a good story. Very well done!

Thank you!

Unread 01/17/2017, 10:38 AM   #198
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Thanks for the update Yano, absolutely beautiful.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 01:05 PM   #199
yano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Thanks for the update Yano, absolutely beautiful.
Thanks!

Unread 11/23/2017, 03:03 AM   #200
RoWall
Registered Member

Amazing concept and execution!
I would love to see an update. Have you added more fish?

Reef blog: http://brightsidereef.blogspot.se/

Current Tank Info: 50 gal
RoWall is offline   Reply With Quote