Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2003, 02:27 AM   #76
berger034
Registered Member

Wow this thread is getting so much attention. hey cratylus, good work on the ginger cure. you are trying to be scientific about it. hey check this out. i have an angler which i am treating so i used regular ginger but i only submersed the food (ghost shrimp) in the ginger for about 20 minutes and then extracted the shrimp to feed. you think this might do the job or does he need to consume some of the ginger?
berger034

berger034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2003, 06:25 PM   #77
ratedgl
Registered Member

Hey Cratylus, its been a few since you gave us on update. How is the tang doing?

ratedgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2003, 11:14 PM   #78
mojodeli
Registered Member

A few days ago my achillies tang came down with a heavy case of ich. Previously I floated a head of crush garlic to great effect but I decided to try the ginger.

I made a slurry of pe mysis, nori, scallop, clam, red macro, shrimp and ginger.

After four feedings over the last two days all signs of ich have disappeared.

Current Tank Info: 24g NanoCube - Royal Gramma, 20lbs of LR, zoos, shrooms, torch and hammer
mojodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2003, 05:50 PM   #79
Beth
Registered Member

Notice that there hasn't been any update to this....does that mean that ginger is out and its back to tried and true methods for treating ich?

Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2003, 05:59 PM   #80
magyk74
Registered Member

Want to see outcome also

magyk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2003, 07:30 PM   #81
Joe Bongiorno
Registered Member

Congratulations on the continued success of the Ginger method. Even if it didn't work, I agree with you a hundred percent about the concept of sharing ideas and trying new things. That's how the hobby grows and how we learn new ideas on old problems. I'm sick to death of the Orthodoxy in this hobby that purports to have all the answers and knocks every attempt by someone other than themselves who has a new idea or wants to try something different. The fact is they don't know as much as they pretend! They're just prideful and egotistical and stuck on their crusty methods and ways of thinking! They told me: "You can't put a porcupine puffer in a reef tank! It'll destroy everything!" or "You can't train a lion to eat frozen! It'll eat every fish smaller than itself!" or how about "You can't have a tank without a skimmer! The algae will cover everything!" LIES, all of them!! My advice: Talk to as many people as you can- listen with patience - read and learn as much as you can - keep an open mind - try new things with a view to success and with preparations for failure.

Joe Bongiorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 02:05 PM   #82
melev
Moved On

Well, the comments in this thread thus far have all be success stories by the ones that actually used ginger, and I find that extermely promising!

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 02:53 PM   #83
traip93
Moved On

melev..agreed!!!!

I eager to hear more <<>>

I won't try this until i hear more positive results (or get ich), but it's encouraging to say the least....for the record, my tang hates garlic, I soak brine shrimp in garlic and he just spits it out, I soak nori in garlic and he won't touch it...same thing with flake food.....so maybe he'll take a better liking to ginger.....

I'd just be interested to read the first threads/responses when some one decided to give garlic a try!!!!!

I was skeptical at first when there was no reason given to why he first decided to use ginger, but the later explination of high concentrations of Vit-B and other health benefits in humans and rats, had me sold....

traip93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 03:31 PM   #84
Aquaman
Fishinchick's better half

Oh boy! another new home made Ick cure! Just be sure when you bottle, market, and sell it, don't call it Sano!

Current Tank Info: 65 reef
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 03:42 PM   #85
john f
Registered Member

I guess none of you guys work in the medical field.

You just dismiss objections to this ginger stuff as close-minded-ness.
In my field anyone talking about a possible cure for cancer had better have controlled studies to back it up.

If some sales rep came into my office and told me about a product that cured cancer in his Momma but had no actual controlled, scientific proff that it worked...........I would first laugh, then kick him out!

Unfortunately I read stories everyday about someone who put off tested cancer treatments for some new "Miracle cure" herb or vitamin. Then by the time they seek actual proven treatments it is too late.

The fear that Beth and I share is that some reefer reading this will delay EFFECTIVE treatment for cryptocaryon because of this ginger idea. Then if the ginger does not work, the fish may be too far gone to save.

Nothing against sharing "ideas" but I think the title of this thread was " possible new cure for Ick" and that is just not a responsible heading.

As I said before, if Cratylus had tested this ginger method in a controlled environment with several fish of the same species against several others that did not get ginger, then I think he could have boasted about a "possible new cure"

John

Frederick Bastiat

Current Tank Info: 235 reef
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 03:55 PM   #86
Aquaman

You know, I guess its true if you live long enough history repeats itself! I guess I've been in this hobby just long enough to see it really happen.

Unread 05/27/2003, 04:13 PM   #87
Denzo
Premium Member

I just honestly think that all the feedback with this alternate form of medicating for ich so far has been a bit promising. I would not mind trying out ginger.

I personally have one specific powder blue tang that gets ich recurreneces every week, albeit a light infection. It comes and goes ever since I got him 3 months ago. Yet, none of my other fishes became infected. My powder blue has not yet stopped eating my food soaked with garlic and selcon. But the Ich recurrences continues to appear within difference in strength.

I will purchase some ginger today from the grocery store and will try it as a food supplement for my fishies.

I will keep everyone (that's interested) posted on all of my observations.

Without curiousity, there would not be any discoveries!!!!!!!
I honestly think that this is a worth a try. After all, I am just a bit curious as if this will actually work??!?

Denzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 04:28 PM   #88
Denzo
Premium Member

within=without

oops sorry

Unread 05/27/2003, 04:56 PM   #89
john f
Registered Member

Denzo,

If you would have quarantined that PBT and all others in the tank with hyposalinity you wouldn't need to give the ginger a try!!

John

Frederick Bastiat

Unread 05/27/2003, 05:53 PM   #90
Jimbo327
Registered Member

Actually ginger and garlic has been used in Eastern medicine for centuries. Most asian cooking includes ginger and garlic to enhance the flavor, but also boosts the overall health of the person eating the meal.

When you get Eastern herbal medicine, most of the times, it will include ginger and garlic because it promotes sweating. In fact, Korean friends of mine eat garlic heavily at home, and when they sweat, I can smell garlic. It's weird. So, I'm not at all surprised at the side effects of garlic and ginger.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 6gal JBJ NanoCube, DIY LED Mod, 1/15 JBJ Chiller, Tunze Osmolator, Homemade Kalkwasser Chamber
Jimbo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 07:13 PM   #91
Aquaman

Quote:
Actually ginger and garlic has been used in Eastern medicine for centuries. Most asian cooking includes ginger and garlic to enhance the flavor, but also boosts the overall health of the person eating the meal.
Thats correct along with dried seahorse for an afrediasic(sp) and siberian tiger parts for verility I believe.

Some eastern medicine works quite well and is centuries ahead of western medicine, Others are still steeped in myth and legend.

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:18 PM   #92
Denzo
Premium Member

Cool

John F (in the medical field),

Well, too bad I don't have the luxury of moving EVERYTHING in my 280G reef tank in order to catch my PBT and put it in a quarantine tank and then try hyposalinity.

Yeah, you might say "You should have quarantined it when you first got him." Well, I didn't, and I do not have a quarantine tank setup.

As I said, I will keep posted on any findings (to those interested). If you are not interested than you should not read the thread. That's what I do when a subject matter doesn't interest me.

If you have conquered "Ich," than good for you. Some of the methods have worked for others, some will not. Maybe you were one of the lucky few that never seen ich in any of your own tanks. Still good for you.

After weighing all of my options, I honestly will not try to catch my PBT. I will try the ginger food supplementation. I do not want to just sit here and wait for MY PBT to have a major outbreak of "ICH," which may or may not come. Who KNows!

I have just made my own fish food with the use of my blender, and I did indeed put ginger in it. I will try it. I will post my findings on here. I am not a scientist by any means!!!! I am just a saltwater fish and reef fanatic, that wants to provide a better way of life for my PBT!!! If anyone that is not interested, that please do not read this thread!!!!

Denzo (not in the medical field, and homeless with a 280G reef)

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:32 PM   #93
Aquaman

Quote:
I just honestly think that all the feedback with this alternate form of medicating for ich so far has been a bit promising. I would not mind trying out ginger.
LOL, Good I've still got a bottle of Sano around here somewhere that will cure Ick, balance your alkalinity levels and allow your calcium level to be maintained at 500ppm Just a few drops a day will cure your Ick within a day or so.

Quote:
I am not a scientist by any means!!!!
Then leave the expermintation to those that are!

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:39 PM   #94
john f
Registered Member

Denzo,

You sort of brushed off my main arguements and took everything personal.

Believe me.......I have been in your situation. I have had MANY fish die from ICK over my 14 years of reefkeeping. I used to argue that it is impossible to catch fish in a reef tank. ( It's not, it just requires patience and commitment)

But over the years I have learned a few things.

Many people still profess the wonders of garlic treatment for Ick. You yourself use it on a regular basis. Why then do you need to keep using it if it works?

This ginger thing for now has NO VALIDITY. If and when further research is done on it ( I challenged CRATYLUS but he didn't seem too interested in investing $50 or so to back his claims up) I could change my mind.

BTW............ I have no cryptocaryon in my 30+ fish in my 1000 gallon tank BECAUSE I have taken the correct steps to prevent it from happening.

If you guys like to keep rolling the dice.................Knock yourselves out.

John

Frederick Bastiat

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:42 PM   #95
melev
Moved On

Let's not beliittle people for trying something out. As the title of this thread clearly states, this may be a possible cure. Why knock it? I'd much rather see more people who have fish infected with ich try out the ginger and post their results here.

There is a User's Agreement here on RC that encourages the sharing of information in a non-derogatory manner. If you feel this thread is misleading, report it to the moderators. If they feel it is inappropriate, it will be closed or removed.

However, imho, I think we should pursue this and read as many results as possible. Some people would have to tear half their reef down in order to catch the sick fish, but if this works "in-tank", that would be a boon to the hobby.

We've had great threads about the new SCWD, as well as results from the use of Flatworm eXit. Let's see where this goes, instead of forcing people to use the hyposalinity method arbitrarily.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 07:46 PM   #96
john f
Registered Member

I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU THREATING ME

John

Frederick Bastiat

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:46 PM   #97
macg
Registered Member

my friend's pacific sailfin came down with a mild case of ich just yesterday. i went over and brought some home made slurry with ginger to try and cure the tang.

today, there was no additional infestation, and the dots seemed less. i will update in a few days.

wish me luck

macg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2003, 07:48 PM   #98
john f
Registered Member

Seriously MELEV,

I don't think anything I have posted was derogatory in any way. I just happen to disagree with your point of view...........and you don't like it.

Sorry ..................

John

Frederick Bastiat

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:54 PM   #99
Denzo
Premium Member

John F,

If you disagree with this thread, then why read it??,, then why respond to it??
just pass this thread on as you read the titles of the other threads!!

My thoughts exactly!

Unread 05/27/2003, 07:57 PM   #100
Denzo
Premium Member

The reason that I am still using Garlic is the hope that it may be the reason that my other fishes has not been infected at all.