Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2016, 12:52 PM   #1
sttaelma
Registered Member

new 400g mixed reef system

I'm planning a new reef tank(had a FOWLR 100g tank for a couple of years) now that i've moved to my newly built home. and since upgrading is fun, I decided to go for about 400 gallon(10ft tank). since it's gonna be a pretty costly endeavour, I would love to hear some opinions/tips/reactions/feedback from you guys (and I'm sorry about the metric system in advance)

my build is as follows:

- 3m width * 80cm depth * 75cm height (+-10ft/118" width by 32" depth by 30" height) glass tank, on a steel (powder coated) stand of about 95cm height(38")

- Synergy Reef 20” Overflow, bean animal setup. 2 return lines, one on either side of the overflow (32mm or 1.25" pvc tubing)

- ECO dreambox(from royal exclusiv) of 175cm * 60cm * 40cm (69" width * 24" depth * 16" height) (230L or 60 gallon content when at desired level)
- a water reservoir which contains 2 parts: one 28g part(for mixing salt water) and a 11 gallon RODI water reservoir
- RODI unit on the back of the tank, on a tap, which feeds into the RODI water reservoir. there's also a waste water line ready on the back

- for lighting I decided to go for 5 * Radion X30W G4 pro's from ecotech marine (but I'm not sure 5 of them yields a sufficient amount of coverage). I'm probably gonna buy a seneye to act as PAR meter as I'm not sure which percentage to put them on without blasting my corals
- these lights will be mounted on top of a custom canope, which provides access doors (turn upward) on the front and both sides. canope's probably gonna be about 15" in height. that way I have access when I need it.

- flow is gonna be done by vortech pumps: 2*mp40 on the back, 1*mp60 + 1*mp40 on either side facing the middle. I will probably buy some battery backups for them later on, in any case, I left out space for them.

- in the dreambox, a bubble king deluxe 300 skimmer(royal exclusiv) (newer model with VS15 60W red dragon speedy pump)

- return pump: red dragon 3 speedy 80W (8000L/H or 2120 gallon/hour)

- zeovit system: (reactor: zeovit filter M)
- for dosing purposes: neptune systems DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System

- calcium reactor deltec PF601S

- neptune systems' apex
which regulates all, including:
___ lights, return pump, zeovit filter and calcium reactor pumps + solenoid, heaters, chillers (if I need any)
___ radion pro lighting and vortech flow pumps via WXM module
___ topoff (+ control of the RODI unit to fill the reservoirs)
___ semi-automatic water changes(push 1st button to start mixing and heating water in the mixing reservoir, just add salt manually, wait 24 hours, push 2nd button to start emptying sump, when sump is empty, prepared mixing water will be pumped into the sump, and system will resume normal operation)
___ failsafes, leak detection, mail/text messaging
___ to be clear, in order for the semi-automatic water change to work,
______ the 2 reservoirs have float switches in them (3 each, one bottom, one top sensor, and an extra emergency top sensor).
______ the sump also has 3 (bottom/normal level/emergency top) sensors in the main chamber. the pump chamber has a separate bottom/top sensor pair (bottom prevents the return pump from running dry if anything should happen)

- for heating, I have 3x500W titanium heaters, I hope this will be enough. I keep my house at about 21 degrees Celcius (= +- 70F)

- inside the tank:
- 286 pounds of red sea reef base reef pink aragonite, small grain (0.5-1.5mm). this should result in a shallow sand bed of about 1.2 inches
- Real Reef Rock Medium/Large 4th gen, 286 pounds in total
- 1 live rock as seed (after dipping it to avoid hitchhikers)
- gonna use Reefer's Best Coral Reef Salt

I hope everything's clear, otherwise, shoot. What do you guys think?

Last edited by sttaelma; 08/29/2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: some mistakes
sttaelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 12:57 PM   #2
sttaelma
Registered Member

By the way,
I've also made a 3D CAD drawing if anyone wants to have a closer look.
I programmed my APEX code already. To do this, I wrote a simulator to emulate the program on PC. If anyone wants to use this, or have the code, send me a message, I'm always happy to help another hobbyist

sttaelma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, dreambox, mixed reef, zeovit