Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2017, 04:36 PM   #1
_ld99
Registered Member

90 gallon cycling questions

What's up guys, about 3 days ago I threw a raw shrimp into my filter sock to Kickstart my cycle. I have 90 lbs dry rock and 50 lbs "live" caribsea sand. The shrimp has slowly been shrinking in size and when I checked the sock today, the shrimp is almost totally gone. I still have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. Im having a hard time figuring out how the shrimp is already gone. Doesn't there need to be bacteria to eat the shrimp? Should I throw another shrimp in? The peice I put in was about 1" by 1/2". Im just trying to figure out why I never got any ammonia nitrites or nitrates and the shrimp is gone. Thanks guys!

_ld99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 05:00 PM   #2
tvu
Registered Member

Just use Dr. Tims or bio spira to cycle. Bio spira is easier to get thru Amazon or local petco. Cycling takes about a week (even a few days).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 05:55 PM   #3
_ld99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvu View Post
Just use Dr. Tims or bio spira to cycle. Bio spira is easier to get thru Amazon or local petco. Cycling takes about a week (even a few days).

Should i add the bio spira, and put the shrimp in after to give the bacteria something to feed on until everything is 0? I'm in no rush so I don't plan on putting fish in until I'm sure the tanks stable. I have read about bio spira, and ithe seems more involved than the shrimp method because I still need to add an ammonia source.

Unread 02/04/2017, 10:02 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I suspect the tank is close to ready to go. I would remove the remains of the shrimp. It's a good time to stock mysid shrimp, etc, if you are interested in doing that.

Unread 02/04/2017, 10:09 PM   #5
tvu
Registered Member

You don't need anything else with bio spira or other starter bacteria for a cycle.

tvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 10:25 PM   #6
_ld99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I suspect the tank is close to ready to go. I would remove the remains of the shrimp. It's a good time to stock mysid shrimp, etc, if you are interested in doing that.
I haven't added any source of bacteria except for the caribsea sand which i doubt is truly live. I never even got a single ammonia spike , no reading on nitrites or nitrates, therefore I don't truly think my tank is almost ready to go. It has only been set up for 3 days. If there were bacteria to eat the raw shrimp, wouldn't the tank have some amount of nitrates? Thanks for the help

Unread 02/04/2017, 10:26 PM   #7
_ld99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvu View Post
You don't need anything else with bio spira or other starter bacteria for a cycle.

Good to know, I'll call my lfs tomorrow and see if they have any. If not I'll order some off amazon. I pay for amazon prime so it should come pretty quick.

Unread 02/04/2017, 11:06 PM   #8
_ld99
Registered Member

At the same time, i would rather just go with the shrimp. For some reason it doesn't feel right to use some bottled bacteria. Like i said, i'm in no rush. I plan on having a pretty packed lps and softies tank. I already have a bag of frozen shrimp.
https://plus.google.com/107785918218...ts/1c3FyABrtZt

Unread 02/05/2017, 01:03 AM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

If the bacteria is shrinking, it is being consumed by bacteria. Some of the output will have been ammonia. The appearance of nitrite and nitrate is fairly variable. I suspect that the shrimp was small enough that it didn't produce much of a spike. Unless you're planning on adding a large number of fish at one time, or some large fish, I suspect that the tank is fine.

Unread 02/05/2017, 07:29 AM   #10
_ld99
Registered Member

I just added another piece of shrimp(probably double the size of the last one). If this piece starts degrading and i don't get an ammonia spike or the ammonia gets converted fairly quickly, i'll know my tank is ready. Also, the first piece of shrimp that i put in is now down to the size of a dime(maybe a little smaller) and it doesn't have any mold or anything of that sort on it.

Unread 02/05/2017, 07:44 AM   #11
_ld99
Registered Member

I just tested for nitrates and now I'm getting a reading. As you can see from the side angle in the link I posted below, I get a reading but from the top (which is how it's supposed to be read) it looks clear which equals 0
https://plus.google.com/107785918218...ts/hefMAQ64zSv

Unread 02/05/2017, 07:45 AM   #12
_ld99
Registered Member

Alright I was confused at first, but this means I'm reading 5 ppm nitrates.

Unread 02/05/2017, 10:40 AM   #13
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

It looks like about 5ppm, yes.
BTW, I think bacterial supplements are unnecesary

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 04:48 PM   #14
_ld99
Registered Member

Well the last shrimp I added is already gone too. Ammonia 0 maybe .25 nitrite .01 and nitrates are still 5. Shouldn't the nitrates have increased?

Unread 02/08/2017, 06:27 PM   #15
_ld99
Registered Member

I'm going to start feeding the tank as if I had fish in it. If I don't see a spike in a week andduring everything stays stable, I'm going to add a pair of oscellaris. I just find it really hard to believe it cycled that quick. But since the shrimp decayed fully in 3 days, obviously I have the bacteria the consume it.

Tags
90 gallon, 90 gallon cycling, cycle, cycling tank, nitrogen cycle