Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2017, 01:53 PM   #51
reefmutt
Registered Member

Sounds like a good plan, Perry!
Ugh...don't tell me I'm going to have to find some way to move all of my Photobucket photos...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 05:50 PM   #52
cobra2326
Registered Member

Cabinet looks super clean! That pink milli is sweet, I'm jealous. Here's hoping I can achieve good colors like you guys do in my little 10g nuvo with LEDs.

Here's a story on the photobucket fiasco: https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet

Aquatic Log: http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/cobra2326/1
Nuvo Fusion Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636370

Current Tank Info: Nuvo Fusion 10
cobra2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 07:42 PM   #53
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

What a sh!t fight! Looks like I'll be finding a new hosting website and just leaving everything else there to rot lol. I think photobucket is going to lose probably all of it's user base lol
What a bunch of pricks!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 08:32 AM   #54
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
I use Flickr for the DSLR pics but I don't know its maximum storage capacity. For the phone pics I guess you could use Google Drive (don't know if you can embed them but you can try)
I got on Flickr, not sure how to share the image yet, but did successfully upload, I will play around on the site today and see if I can get these recent images up, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeray View Post
The Amazon cloud shared files don't show up either
Yeah, I do not use amazon for much, they too are just a freakin greedy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Sounds like a good plan, Perry!
Ugh...don't tell me I'm going to have to find some way to move all of my Photobucket photos...
Man, I have all of my old pics here on the computer, but am done with PB, they were slow anyway, but now, GREED at it's finest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2326 View Post
Cabinet looks super clean! That pink milli is sweet, I'm jealous. Here's hoping I can achieve good colors like you guys do in my little 10g nuvo with LEDs.

Here's a story on the photobucket fiasco: https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet
Thanks for the link, read the user comments, they are getting some pretty brutal comments, PB won't be around much longer, just so familiar with it, sucks that I have to go elsewhere to share pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
What a sh!t fight! Looks like I'll be finding a new hosting website and just leaving everything else there to rot lol. I think photobucket is going to lose probably all of it's user base lol
What a bunch of pricks!
Yes mate, I too am not thrilled by this move, no communication, just boom, if you want to continue to use our slow service, riddled with ads and pop ups, now you pay $399 per year. Sucks for those who decide to pay, the later to find out that the site will go out of business

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 08:52 AM   #55
plyle02
Registered Member

[IMG]IMG_8309******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 07/04/2017, 08:52 AM   #56
plyle02
Registered Member

[IMG]IMG_8309 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 07/04/2017, 08:57 AM   #57
plyle02
Registered Member

[IMG]IMG_8308 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8311 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8313 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8314 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8315 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8317 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8318 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8321 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8325 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 07/04/2017, 05:45 PM   #58
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Such a nice neat little setup Perry How are you enjoying the halide over the t5's from the last tank??

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 07/06/2017, 01:13 PM   #59
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice Perry looking good.
Flikr.. hm. Have to look into that..
I just mentioned on Pife's thread that last year I bought some upgrade package from Photobucket at $10/mo I think.
So far my photos still work.. I'm wondering if I'll be cut off soon as well or if the purchase saves me...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:51 AM   #60
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Such a nice neat little setup Perry How are you enjoying the halide over the t5's from the last tank??
Hi Dom,
Thanks for the kind words mate! I love the halide, took awhile to burn the bulb in, like 2 weeks, but now the color is awesome. Most of my corals are frags from Radion lit tank with emphasis on mainly blue, so typically they brown out, then color back up. Cheers

Unread 07/27/2017, 07:52 AM   #61
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice Perry looking good.
Flikr.. hm. Have to look into that..
I just mentioned on Pife's thread that last year I bought some upgrade package from Photobucket at $10/mo I think.
So far my photos still work.. I'm wondering if I'll be cut off soon as well or if the purchase saves me...

Hi Matt,
Yeah Flikr for now, let's hope RC steps up and provides direct linking like the other popular reef forum recently did

Unread 07/27/2017, 07:54 AM   #62
cham
Registered Member

Perry, when are you coming by for a beer and some frags? I'm starting to get enough grow out if you're looking

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 08:07 AM   #63
plyle02
Registered Member

Yes, I would love some frags, especially those you scored from me, hint hint, acid trip

Unread 07/27/2017, 09:09 AM   #64
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Yes, I would love some frags, especially those you scored from me, hint hint, acid trip
LOL, I got the acid trip directly from Mike that lived in Sanford (can't remember his RC name)

Darn thing grows so slow, but I hope to frag it soon

But I did get a metric ton of stuff from you, I lost the tri color which I'm bummed about because it was such a nice one.

Also have a bunch of RMF & Atlantis stuff from Mike when I was there getting the acid trip

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 12:09 PM   #65
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Did you also have the aqua sd rainbow milli? It looks similar to the acid trip and was wondering how different they are.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 07:06 AM   #66
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
LOL, I got the acid trip directly from Mike that lived in Sanford (can't remember his RC name)

Darn thing grows so slow, but I hope to frag it soon

But I did get a metric ton of stuff from you, I lost the tri color which I'm bummed about because it was such a nice one.

Also have a bunch of RMF & Atlantis stuff from Mike when I was there getting the acid trip
Hey Charles, I spoke with Cindy, she said heck yeah, let's BBQ and have a few coldies, lol... Let me know when is good for you, I have weekends off, Saturdays are good. As you know, I like fresh cuts, so no need to plug, I will shoot you a message, I still have your cell. Yeah, the acid trip grew painfully slow for me as well. That one is not necessary until you have plenty of size, no hurry. Stay in touch brother, good to hear from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Did you also have the aqua sd rainbow milli? It looks similar to the acid trip and was wondering how different they are.
Hi,
I did not have the aqua sd rainbow, but agree, many pics showcase these two corals in the same light, so not sure that there is really much of a difference, IMO. I highly suggest you visit Steve at Stormborn Reef, he has the goods! He also does not try and take advantage, with all the hottest stuff you see in Orlando, as many stores shop the same wholesalers. He will name something if he finds it unique and special, but is not naming basic stuff, even if the other shops do. He has been around a long time and has a seasoned eye for rare corals. Also gets maricultures in, and some of them will blow you away, I scored a purple humilus from there, going to be a stunner

Unread 07/28/2017, 07:24 AM   #67
plyle02
Registered Member

Update:
So I have not documented this on my system, since I have been sort of tracking an ongoing issue with this tank, and I have never experienced this before, so let me begin. I use a salt that mixes at 6.8dkh, and have been doing larger water changes each week at 25%, however, I would see alk increase in my tank on a daily basis of about .4dkh, which baffled me as I do not dose any minerals or trace. I decided to pull all the painted rock from the tank, most of it Real Reef Rock. I moved this rock into a separate tank I had laying around, now the tank is stable. In fairness, I had one more smaller piece of decorative rock that stayed in the system, and I was still climbing daily, but only at about.1-.2dkh. I removed it, and now only have real live rock from Fiji(air rock), and since removing all man made rock, I have now watched my alk stabilize. I am certain that this has caused me to lose about 6-8 corals since beginning this tank, and I am now seeing corals that looked washed out, burnt tips, and other signs of STN now coming back, showing polyps and gaining color. The single piece of live rock is around 20lbs, so not much natural filtration. I may add small pieces with corals mounted around the structure in time, but right now it looks pretty cool and simple, lol..

Part 2 of my update is tracking how NO3 and PO4 would work in my small system, especially due to it being limited for filtration area, as it is an AIO tank, and limited live rock. I was running about 5-10ppm on NO3 and 0.04 on PO4, depending on which day I tested, as the nutrients would creep until water change day, then go back down a bit. I have been using the Life Bio Fil passive in a mesh bag in the back of the filtration area. I had a BRS reactor lying around, I found a spot on the wall behind the tank, so it is hidden, and installed. I suspect about 150gph running through the media. From the time I installed it this way, I ran a NO3 and PO4 test 3 days later, without any water changes, and poof, NO3 no color change salifert, ZERO... PO4 also 0.00, so now I am using some of the AF supplements, as I need to get food to the corals. I am now feeding 2 times a day frozen, I only have 4 fish, but they are pigs. I cannot believe that running active with bio media versus passive would make this big of a difference. I am adding Bio S and Pro Bio S a couple of times per week, and NP Pro at a drop every few days. There is no real need for Phosphate remover at this point, and dosing. I suspect that if I dial down the flow rate through the media reactor, I might be able to control nutrients this way. Just thought I would share this experience. I am quite surprised to have ULNS in a AIO style tank as the skimmer is not over rated by any means.

Now the style of my system is a single low lying bommie, it looks pretty cool, I will have to upload a pic or 2 soon. The corals are looking better by the day, and the hopes for a minimalist display are in the works

Unread 07/28/2017, 07:44 AM   #68
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow, that's very interesting about the faux rock. I guess if it were made out of a concrete type material, it could leach buffering compounds.. I guess in a larger system, or one with more corals and growth, one might not even notice..
There is obviously a sweet spot for biomedia.. you seem to have found it, Perry.
Looking forward to new scape pics..

Unread 07/28/2017, 07:55 AM   #69
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, that's very interesting about the faux rock. I guess if it were made out of a concrete type material, it could leach buffering compounds.. I guess in a larger system, or one with more corals and growth, one might not even notice..
There is obviously a sweet spot for biomedia.. you seem to have found it, Perry.
Looking forward to new scape pics..
Yes,
12 years at sps keeping, I literally thought I was going mad... And yes, I have read about mineral leaching, but I did not think it would grow this fast. Combining daily alk increase with new corals is a no no, and I am lucky any corals are still alive, lol.. I scanned my 16 sps corals, a week ago, I though maybe I would end up with around 10-11, about 5 corals looked awe full. I now see PE in all but 1, and thinking I will recover on all but maybe one, it is holding in there too, so maybe not. I am stable at 8dkh now, but wanting to see it drop to around 6.8-7.2dkh, and hold. I suspect that as the corals begin to grow and become healthy, they will start consuming, then I will go online with comp 123 system. The biological media seems to like a constant source of water flowing through it to become effective. Perhaps many tune their flow rate too low as well, I am moving a fair amount of water over and through the media, it is also detritus free this way. Funny thing about it is that even my 120 gallon would never go ULNS, close, but that is why I think my corals maintained the saturation. Cheers Matt

Unread 07/29/2017, 11:54 AM   #70
reefmutt
Registered Member

Maybe flow is the issue.
I added a couple small powerheads to my bio sump.. didn't seem to help much but maybe it just didn't push enough through the media. The reactor method is probably more efficient.
Glad your tank is rebounding well!

Unread 07/30/2017, 09:09 AM   #71
plyle02
Registered Member

Sharing some angles of the reef structure update, corals still on the brown side. Now the alk is stable and under 8.0dkh, I think the corals will settle and then begin to color, at least I hope so

[IMG]IMG_8367 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8366 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8370 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8371 by Perry Lyle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 07/30/2017, 02:24 PM   #72
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice Perry, I really like the head on shot.
Gonna be very cool soon enough.

Unread 07/30/2017, 10:58 PM   #73
Oldude
Premium Member

Your tank looks good and loaded with potential Perry.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 06:08 AM   #74
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice Perry, I really like the head on shot.
Gonna be very cool soon enough.
Thanks Matt, I am having fun with this little setup I really love how Andrew(Biggles) has a low lying style shallow display, you see such little rock work in his setup. I like how he places corals on different rocks then sort of places them, as the corals grow, all you see is acro on acro after acro, this is what shows such vibrancy in his array of colors My intent now instead of the original pyramid design has forced this outcome. Soon we shall see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
Your tank looks good and loaded with potential Perry.
Greg,
Thank you for looking in on my new setup, a smaller one indeed, but I am still in the hobby and stoked to try something new. I see that things are coming back around for you as well, so I will have my eyes peeled looking for updates. Hopefully I can get these corals to grow my friend! This setup does have some potential, so fingers crossed

Unread 07/31/2017, 05:47 PM   #75
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Groovy as Perry! Definitely really interesting to hear about the faux rock doing that as I used the same rock but didn't face those issues. Maybe there was something in the batch that was causing an excess leaching! It's good that you're not crazy though

Courtesy of Nils: