Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2016, 09:35 PM   #26
Reefheart
Registered Member

I'm manually dosing Seachem Complete (CA) and Buffer (Alk). For the CA, 5ml will give 10ppm in 80L. So I will only need to dose 5ml to provide the same amount of CA as 50ml of AQ Component+1 in 100L volume.

Did I interpret/compare the dosage correctly?? Abit concern the larger dosage of AQ will increase salinity a lot faster over time.

Sorry if I misunderstood the whole thing completely.

Reefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 12:15 AM   #27
MichaelW
Registered Member

I just ordered the component 1+2+3+. With my current (fauna marin) system I dose 230ml per day alk and around70-80 no per day Calcium.
I know with your system it is supposed to be equal amounts all 3 so my question is, which daily dose for all 3 components is more likely as a starting point for a 200gallon sps heavy system?
Is there a rough average say sps heavy tank around xxml per 100gallons per day?
230 of each component sounds like a lot.
For reference here is my tank. It is 200 gallons

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 08:47 AM   #28
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

So you are dosing 230ml of Alk, but only 7-80ml of Ca a day? That cant be right...

Unread 03/15/2016, 11:07 AM   #29
MichaelW
Registered Member

The fauna marin mixes differently you only use a 1/4 the amount of powder for the alk mix compared to the calcium mix for the same amount of water.

Unread 03/15/2016, 11:24 AM   #30
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Confusing but equal parts are taken in by corals. Get the big three in line, and dose 1,2,3 in equal parts daily according to daily uptake in alk.

Unread 03/15/2016, 11:25 AM   #31
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

And yes they have a starting point for ml per day

Unread 03/15/2016, 12:02 PM   #32
Magem
Registered Member

I have started with this system 15 days ago. 96 ml of each one maintaining a constant Kh, Ca and Mg level. IMO it is important prior to achieve a good Kh-Ca balance. Any case I have just started with aqua forest and I have a limited experience to share...

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 12:04 PM   #33
Magem
Registered Member

And sorry for my English...

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 01:04 PM   #34
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

BTW, ever read up on the website? Great info including two downloads which I printed and bound for quick ref.

In case of a reservoir containing average number of hard corals, the dose is approximately 50 ml daily per 100 liters of water.

Unread 03/15/2016, 02:19 PM   #35
MichaelW
Registered Member

50 ml daily of each component per 100l would put me close to 400ml per day of each for 200 g correct? Seems like an aweful lot! One jug is only 5litres.

Unread 03/16/2016, 05:17 AM   #36
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
50 ml daily of each component per 100l would put me close to 400ml per day of each for 200 g correct? Seems like an aweful lot! One jug is only 5litres.
It sure does and am waiting for Perry to begin so we can all see what his dosing amounts are. His thread can be found typically near the top of the SPS forum.

Unread 03/16/2016, 02:02 PM   #37
MichaelW
Registered Member

Yeah I have been following his thread. I think Debora uses comp1+2+3+ so I will see if she has her dosage amount listed. If it really will be that much of each component I guess I should have ordered a lot more.

Unread 03/16/2016, 02:06 PM   #38
MichaelW
Registered Member

Is there a aquaforest rep who could chime in with if they think 400ml of each component sounds reasonable for a 200 gallon tank? Or what a more likely starting amount would be? I don't really want to not dose anything for a day or 2 to work out my consumption because if I do that my alk will drop....a lot.

Unread 03/17/2016, 04:03 AM   #39
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Hi,
I recommend to start to dose every components per 150ml and If it will me not enough You can use Kh Buffer and dose that separate to time when everything will stabilize and rise every components.
We do not recommend to rise individual macroelement by Component1+2+3+ because that contains microlements also.

Regards,
Aquaforest

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 10:55 AM   #40
MichaelW
Registered Member

Thank you for response. I will start with 150ml of each and go from there. I understand not to raise levels with the components+ due to the microelements.

Unread 03/18/2016, 06:53 AM   #41
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for response. I will start with 150ml of each and go from there. I understand not to raise levels with the components+ due to the microelements.
Michael,
If it were me, I would test alk/ca/and mag the morning before you go online with the component system, then begin dosing. The next morning, the same time, I would again test alk. I would repeat this process every morning, increasing or decreasing the dosing amounts, based on your alk readings. Once you are at you're desired alk level, which should be 6.5-7.5 roughly, I would then confirm every morning for a week to ensure you are locked in. I say this because alk is the least forgiving parameter we test with regards to sps. I truly believe that once you lock in alk, you will likely be locked in on all the others. We have used this system at the shop I work at for 2 months now, it really holds all levels consistently, based on my test results there. I will soon be online with my home reef.
Regards,

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2016, 08:20 AM   #42
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Michael,
If it were me, I would test alk/ca/and mag the morning before you go online with the component system, then begin dosing. The next morning, the same time, I would again test alk. I would repeat this process every morning, increasing or decreasing the dosing amounts, based on your alk readings. Once you are at you're desired alk level, which should be 6.5-7.5 roughly, I would then confirm every morning for a week to ensure you are locked in. I say this because alk is the least forgiving parameter we test with regards to sps. I truly believe that once you lock in alk, you will likely be locked in on all the others. We have used this system at the shop I work at for 2 months now, it really holds all levels consistently, based on my test results there. I will soon be online with my home reef.
Regards,
Great info Perry.

Unread 03/18/2016, 09:36 AM   #43
elviraveloz
Registered Member

Exactly what I did. I just started with sps not long ago. All I have is a bunch of frags so I'm only dosing 59 ml daily, keeping alk at 7.0-7.5.

elviraveloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2016, 01:46 PM   #44
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Michael,
Regards,
Yes this is exactly what I was going to do (except test at night as I don't have time in morning) I was just looking for a rough estimate start amount so I'm the first day I don't drop a whole 1 dkh hrough not dosing enough. My alk now sits at 7.3 and that's where I want to keep it. I would actually probably prefers to over estimate my dose and see it rise to say 7.5 ( then I can just lower the dosage from there) than underside and have to worry about raising it up more with other products. I might start with 200ml of each to start and see where that takes me. I think from looking in Debora's thread she was dosing 250 ml of each.
I will have to look into getting more soon as it will be used up quick. Or I guess you can by the components seperatly and mix your own. I'm guessing it mixes up Exactly like the pre made product and probably works out cheaper?

Unread 03/18/2016, 06:55 PM   #45
plyle02
Registered Member

I would always go less for starting points than more, spiking alk is less forgivable than declining alk, IMO and experience.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 03/19/2016, 12:49 AM   #46
MichaelW
Registered Member

Yeah thinking about it that makes more sense. The aquaforest balling salts must be less concentrated than many of the other brands. Not saying that as a negative just an observation. I was a little shocked to see how much I might need to dose to keep constant levels. One package of the product won't last too long but is also not as expensive as the products I was using before.
Does any one here know if the premixed components + are exactly the same as if you were to buy the alk buffer etc and add the components strong yourself? This way you wouldn't be paying for water also.

Unread 03/19/2016, 08:09 AM   #47
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah thinking about it that makes more sense. The aquaforest balling salts must be less concentrated than many of the other brands. Not saying that as a negative just an observation. I was a little shocked to see how much I might need to dose to keep constant levels. One package of the product won't last too long but is also not as expensive as the products I was using before.
Does any one here know if the premixed components + are exactly the same as if you were to buy the alk buffer etc and add the components strong yourself? This way you wouldn't be paying for water also.
Michael,
I think you will be surprised at how little you will need, I think once your corals settle in and begin growth, obviously your demand will increase, but your starting point will likely be less than what is indicated in terms of suggested dosing. For this, I say start at 1/2 what the volume replenishment indicates on dosing, take it from there, either increase or decrease based on your test results. Going to be tricky the first week, but this would occur with any 2 part transition. The positive is that you need nothing else in terms of trace, so that right there makes this mix valuable, at least to me. As far as the dry versus pre-mixed, I would imagine this would be the same, you would just have to figure ratios and so forth. I will look into this a bit deeper and get back to the thread.
Cheers Michael

Unread 03/19/2016, 06:02 PM   #48
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Following along, thanks Perry for the explanation.... please do continue this thread. I am currently holding fast with just kalk but my intention is to move to component 1+2+3 once Kalk can't keep up.....

150 ml a day does seem to be quite a bit as the 5L would only last 1 month... that gets pricey....

Unread 03/20/2016, 12:17 AM   #49
MichaelW
Registered Member

In the AF manual for the dry powders it does say mix 50grams of calcium and 10 grams of magnesium in 1000ml ow water, 80 grams of kh buffer in 1000ml of water, and 25 grams mineral salt in 1000 grams water. Also has about adding 5 ml of the different components strong in the different solutions. In guessing this produces exactly what is in the pre made bottles?

Unread 03/20/2016, 12:19 AM   #50
MichaelW
Registered Member

Now I need to go look up the prices and amounts of each of these to work out price differences between the pre made.