Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2011, 12:31 PM   #26
allsps40
Registered Member

I am using it now and still need to dose mag. It does not work to dose mag at all. It is a normal kalk IMO.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2011, 12:58 PM   #27
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I'd like to introduce the Not So Broke Reefer's Formula:

Calcium + Alk + Magnesium when needed + Water Changes = All You Need

Maybe one of the real chemists will format the formula properly

Kalk mostly fulfills the requirements in my system right now. Mrs. Wages is really cheap. However, I keep a gallon of each of Randy's two part formulations to make adjustments when the balance gets a little out of whack. It's been a while, but I think I can make a gallon of Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium for just a little more than what it costs to buy a little bottle of anything Brightwell sells.

I can be done cheaper, but lazy me buys the bulk supplies from BRS to make the three "two-part" solutions. I've been running the tank this way for two years a have only purchased the bulk supplies once so far.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 02:10 PM   #28
dulgee
Registered Member

sorry to resurrect this old thread, but i thought some practical proof of what has been stated would be welcomed.

i just sent this comment to brightwell aquatics, thought i'd share here:

I have a problem with your Kalk+2 product. I had doubts that this product could work as advertised because magnesium precipitates in high PH, and since a saturated kalk solution is a very high PH environment, logic dictates that the magnesium would just fall out of solution and rest on the bottom of the container... well, most kalk solutions have some sediment after it becomes fully saturated, so i originally thought that's what it was. However at such a high cost, i did further testing, and even at a 50% saturation there is quite a bit of precipitant on the bottom, which leads me to believe it is the magnesium. Which also tells me that when i dump out the slurry at the bottom its all magnesium, and my drip is only providing pure lime water, which i can buy at a fraction of the cost. Further evidence indicates that there is no significant increase in magnesium in my tank, in fact, i still see the typical consumption rate. Perhaps this product is more useful in a kalk stirrer which will release the slurry into the water column where the crystallized magnesium would dissolve into solution once in a more sea-like PH environment.

I suggest a recommended use within a kalk stirrer be advertised and a notice that magnesium will fall to the bottom unless kept in suspension in a stirrer.

Unread 05/05/2018, 08:42 AM   #29
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Dosing the slurry via a cloudy stirred solution vs clear limewater via a still reservoir would get more precipitated magnesium into the tank where it might redissolve; however ; the slurry would also include other precipitated impurities nullifying the self purifying qualities of limewater and would also likely include variable amounts of undissolved calcium hydroxide(kalk) making a constant dose more difficult to maintain.
BTW, generic food grade calcium hydroxide contains magnesium and other salts s along with metals etc; so, unless the product in question offers specifics on the volume of magnesium vs magnesium content in other kalk products the labeling is misleading even beyond the solubility issue.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 05/05/2018 at 08:54 AM.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 01:37 PM   #30
netsequent
Registered Member

comment to brightwell aquatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulgee View Post
I suggest a recommended use within a kalk stirrer be advertised and a notice that magnesium will fall to the bottom unless kept in suspension in a stirrer.
I disolve this powder in distilled vinegar having the belief these various hydroxides transform into respective acetate. I suppose if they included potassium it would be the same case, but I actually prefer to use esv's potassium iodide. Just seems like a super easy solution to me, having benefits of carbon, contrary to conventional methods using the chloride based supplements.

netsequent is offline   Reply With Quote