Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2016, 08:08 AM   #51
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse View Post

Hows front to back coverage? Will I need two on a 30 deep?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2016, 09:06 AM   #52
Confuse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
Hows front to back coverage? Will I need two on a 30 deep?
The front to back coverage with the two lights next to each other how I have them is OK. But is dimmer than if I had the fixtures mounted perpendicular (front to back). The fixture is suspended about 13" off the tank. If you're trying to cover a tank with 30" depth (front to back), then you'll have to hang the lights front to back for the best coverage.

Confuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 07:51 AM   #53
Confuse
Registered Member

Has anyone had trouble setting up their AP 700 to connect through wifi so you don't have to join the fixture's wifi every time you want to configure it?

Unread 07/04/2016, 08:11 AM   #54
vhuang168
Registered Member

Yup. Still can't do it. Kessil wants me to call them so they can walk me through it. I'm pretty proficient in setting up networks and I'm sure I following their instructions to the letter so I don't know what else they can do. The rep was talking about possibly channel conflicts and using a special software they have to change the channels on the lights themselves. I don't see that being the problem so I've been hesitant to take time off and spend an hr or so on the phone with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 08:24 AM   #55
Confuse
Registered Member

Here's another concern...When you set the color channels to any percentage, the output of the light is capped at 70%. Kessil said they did this as a failsafe because the light gets too hot and they're trying to develop a fix for it. The light does indeed get really hot when ran above 70%, but I'm not sure how they're going to fix the heating issue, seems like more of a design thing more than anything.

Unread 07/04/2016, 05:05 PM   #56
rees2301
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
Here's another concern...When you set the color channels to any percentage, the output of the light is capped at 70%. Kessil said they did this as a failsafe because the light gets too hot and they're trying to develop a fix for it. The light does indeed get really hot when ran above 70%, but I'm not sure how they're going to fix the heating issue, seems like more of a design thing more than anything.
Oh thats pants. I've just put on the optical diffusers so definitely need to run at above 70%. If it's capped at 70% then I've just wasted my money

rees2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 05:22 PM   #57
mfaso24
Registered Member

Just to be clear, you're talking about its only capped at 70% if you're using the red/green color sliders right?

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 05:29 PM   #58
rees2301
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
Just to be clear, you're talking about its only capped at 70% if you're using the red/green color sliders right?

Mmm, it doesn't state its only the red/green slider intensities. Sounded more like the total output intensities. I've e-mailed Kessil for clarification.

Unread 07/04/2016, 07:27 PM   #59
Confuse
Registered Member

Quote:

That is correct.

Unread 07/05/2016, 02:35 AM   #60
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:

Yes, this is correct.

Aaron

180 Gallon Dream (Now Reality)
http://www.panhandlereefers.com/foru...Now-Reality%29

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 12:33 AM   #61
Mohawk man
Registered Member

So im still undecided on what light system i want to go with. I originally wanted an ap 700 but after a lot of reading i heard a lot of people switched back to t5 from leds. My tank is a 110 gallon 48x30x18 . Will the ap700 reach down to 30 inches and still span the 48 inches? Or will i be better off with a t5 fixture ? I know a mixture of both would be awesome but for now i have to choose one. Anyways what you guys who own an ap700 think? Thanks

Mohawk man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 03:08 AM   #62
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk man View Post
So im still undecided on what light system i want to go with. I originally wanted an ap 700 but after a lot of reading i heard a lot of people switched back to t5 from leds. My tank is a 110 gallon 48x30x18 . Will the ap700 reach down to 30 inches and still span the 48 inches? Or will i be better off with a t5 fixture ? I know a mixture of both would be awesome but for now i have to choose one. Anyways what you guys who own an ap700 think? Thanks

I wouldn't recommend a single unit to cover an 48", 30" deep area.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 07/06/2016, 06:23 AM   #63
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
It's one of the things I made sure of before I bought mine.
Might sound weird to some but I like to sweat the details and have all the functions and such be controlled by one system.
Oh BTW, I work for a huge controls company

This is something I've dreamed of since I bought an apex 4 years ago, then once it that time something went wrong and I'm glad I didn't depend on it to do everything for my tank - especially if you have to send it in for repair.

I rarely connect to it anymore now that my system is stable.

It might be important for you, but I wouldn't spend another 50 to 60 bucks on another control box to duplicate functionality I already have. Or even worse having to run a usb cable out the side of the light.

My tank - a Red Sea Reefer 350 - Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2555495

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 02:48 PM   #64
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

Just an update from me. I've been back without the optics now for a little over a week. power at 60% peak. Had to move my torch down near the bottom, but other than that corals are happy and growing. The reason I removed the optics was because I was already running the light at 90% because the optics do block PAR like crazy. My Duncan was closed up.. As soon as I removed the optics, my Duncan perked up and is now happy again. I didn't want to move the Duncan, or up the power any more.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 03:06 PM   #65
Confuse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpackgarage View Post
Just an update from me. I've been back without the optics now for a little over a week. power at 60% peak. Had to move my torch down near the bottom, but other than that corals are happy and growing. The reason I removed the optics was because I was already running the light at 90% because the optics do block PAR like crazy. My Duncan was closed up.. As soon as I removed the optics, my Duncan perked up and is now happy again. I didn't want to move the Duncan, or up the power any more.
Major or minor diffusion?

Unread 07/06/2016, 04:33 PM   #66
CIRCLE10
Registered Member

Ive been running kessil 2 ap700s since launch day , lights have been growing sps very well. Just lately stated playing with green and red ..I've been super happy with purchase !

CIRCLE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 06:30 PM   #67
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIRCLE10 View Post
Ive been running kessil 2 ap700s since launch day , lights have been growing sps very well. Just lately stated playing with green and red ..I've been super happy with purchase !

Awesome tank! What are the dimensions by the way. And I'm curious if you notice any difference with the red and greens

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 07:42 PM   #68
dartier
Registered Member

Sigh. Just setup my first AP700 tonight (I have 5 units), using the Android App which is still in BETA. I know this has been said adnauseum, but wow, this App is just crap. I intentionally left my units sitting idle trying to wait for the bugs to be worked out, but after doing a tank move I needed to setup one of the AP700 units in place of some DIY LEDs that were removed during the move.

Firstly I decided to lower the starting Acclimation point to 10% from 20%. Hmm, the light does not turn on. WTEf?!! Then I discover that 10% is essentially off, I guess the AP700 cannot dim that low?? So why does the App offer it then as an option?

Then the one AP700 that was setup on the App just vanished. No amount of scanning could bring it back and multiple rounds of attempting to connect the AP700 back up to WiFi were required. What seemed to work in the end was cold booting the AP700, and starting the setup again.

After spending $6000 on lights I have to say that overall the AP700 has been a huge disappointment ... and that is not even based on whether they grow coral well. That remains to be seen.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 07:43 PM   #69
CIRCLE10
Registered Member

Tank is a 150gal 60x24x24 , too soon to tell as far as red/green % just started tweaking last weekend . On a side note noticing my purple sps had began to fade (too much blue?)after 5 days , noticing purple rims and tips starting to pop again . Running 24% red 24% green @60% intensity then ramp to 28% red 17% green at end of day (trying to simulate coral lab sps ab+ and phx14 )

CIRCLE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 10:13 PM   #70
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Tank is a 150gal 60x24x24 , too soon to tell as far as red/green % just started tweaking last weekend . On a side note noticing my purple sps had began to fade (too much blue?)after 5 days , noticing purple rims and tips starting to pop again . Running 24% red 24% green @60% intensity then ramp to 28% red 17% green at end of day (trying to simulate coral lab sps ab+ and phx14 )

Please note that the Reds/greens addition does nothing for coral health, color, or growth. It's purely for the users benefit to accent colors for viewing.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 07/06/2016, 10:23 PM   #71
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartier View Post
Sigh. Just setup my first AP700 tonight (I have 5 units), using the Android App which is still in BETA. I know this has been said adnauseum, but wow, this App is just crap. I intentionally left my units sitting idle trying to wait for the bugs to be worked out, but after doing a tank move I needed to setup one of the AP700 units in place of some DIY LEDs that were removed during the move.

Firstly I decided to lower the starting Acclimation point to 10% from 20%. Hmm, the light does not turn on. WTEf?!! Then I discover that 10% is essentially off, I guess the AP700 cannot dim that low?? So why does the App offer it then as an option?

Then the one AP700 that was setup on the App just vanished. No amount of scanning could bring it back and multiple rounds of attempting to connect the AP700 back up to WiFi were required. What seemed to work in the end was cold booting the AP700, and starting the setup again.

After spending $6000 on lights I have to say that overall the AP700 has been a huge disappointment ... and that is not even based on whether they grow coral well. That remains to be seen.

Dennis

I would not use the acclimation mode, I would start low and up the intensity 1-5% weekly based on PAR readings or coral reaction. The acclimation mode is far to fast for me. It need to be taken very slowly, I'm not at 80% after 3 months and due to the enormous power of these fixtures I don't think I would need to go any higher.

The app is lacking however you need to understand that with that many units and other wireless devices in use around the same area causes interference. In the end these are still digital devices that are susceptible to the same issues as any other wireless communication device. If one until drops off just reset the unit and connect it again. I've had this happen once and hasn't been a problem since. You won't lose any programming or settings for the group. I hope they work well for you in the future.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 07/06/2016, 10:25 PM   #72
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:

That is what we like to see, great job! Would you care to post your programming and mounting configuration.

Thank you.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 07/06/2016, 10:28 PM   #73
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
This is something I've dreamed of since I bought an apex 4 years ago, then once it that time something went wrong and I'm glad I didn't depend on it to do everything for my tank - especially if you have to send it in for repair.

I rarely connect to it anymore now that my system is stable.

It might be important for you, but I wouldn't spend another 50 to 60 bucks on another control box to duplicate functionality I already have. Or even worse having to run a usb cable out the side of the light.

My tank - a Red Sea Reefer 350 - Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2555495

Exactly, for instance my Vortech MP60 easily could be controller via APEX with another adapter but why the hell would I? The controller gets the job done, maybe better. I do have it plugged into the EB8 so that its shut off for 10 min feed mode, that's it.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 07/14/2016, 01:57 PM   #74
dragonxflare
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartier View Post

Dennis
AP700 has the same issue as the A360s. Once you lower the light under 13% it turns off // all black. I had the same issue when I use to set up my A360s through Apex, and I have the same issue with the AP700 now.

dragonxflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 04:03 PM   #75
rees2301
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
That is what we like to see, great job! Would you care to post your programming and mounting configuration.

Thank you.

Aaron

Did we get to see Circle10's settings and mounting config on his great set up.