Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2009, 09:37 PM   #1
myst
Premium Member

Optimal tank placement?

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could give me insight from previous experience on where to place my tank in my condo. I drew everything to scale using a room arranging program:

I was thinking it would be cool if I placed it along the back of the sectional couch to help divide the living and dining rooms, and have it 3 sides viewable, 5' x 2'. Do you think it would make the room look too cramped? One of the other rooms is an office and that would be my alternate option. Or maybe placing it in a different spot?

Thanks for your help in advance!

myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Patroklos
Registered Member

Which way do the floor joists run or is this on top of a concrete floor?

Looking at your room it seems that may be the only place you ocould put it. Another option could be on that wall behind your dinning room table, though I am not sure what those two circles represent.

Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Hmmm...

Based on my experience, you will be unhappy with the placement of your tank so close to a conversational area. The noise from pumps, skimmer and other equipment will become a real annoyance after a while. You'll be running your TV volume higher to compensate for tank noise... been there, done that...

A solution: Can you place your filtration equipment in a nearby but separate space and just run pipes to the tank? If you can do this, your choice would be an excellent location, IMO.

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 10:19 AM   #4
myst
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
Which way do the floor joists run or is this on top of a concrete floor?

Looking at your room it seems that may be the only place you ocould put it. Another option could be on that wall behind your dinning room table, though I am not sure what those two circles represent.
Sorry, those two circles are bar stools, that wall is a granite counter separating the kitchen from living room. And it's a building, so that should be a concrete floor, correct?

Quote:
Based on my experience, you will be unhappy with the placement of your tank so close to a conversational area. The noise from pumps, skimmer and other equipment will become a real annoyance after a while. You'll be running your TV volume higher to compensate for tank noise... been there, done that...

A solution: Can you place your filtration equipment in a nearby but separate space and just run pipes to the tank? If you can do this, your choice would be an excellent location, IMO.

LL
This is exactly why I asked. I don't own the condo so I can't do modifications to walls and floors and such. I was thinking maybe a hidden compartment between the tank and the wall. But I guess the pumps and equipment would still be pretty loud. Hmmm...

myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Budget your noise...

If you have no other options, you can do your best to budget the noisemakers in your tank. For example, look into Eheim pumps which are reportedly the quietest on the market... Same with your skimmer. Research which one uses the quietest pumps. Most light systems use cooling fans - some T5's don't. Something else to consider...

Good luck with your project.

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 09:08 PM   #6
burton14e7
Registered Member

Also depending on your tv you could have nasty glare on the screen from the tank. I would do it in the office. I personally loved spinning my chair 180 and vegging out on my tank when I needed to clear my mind.

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote