Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

20 Long Mixed Reef

I have been lurking for a while and am finally taking the first steps toward putting together a tank. A while back I was planning a 65 gallon deep tank but after a lot of deliberation I decided that the tank was too deep for my liking. I couldn't really get into the thing unless I stood on a chair, and then I was too far above the tank. Just imagining maintenance was something of a nightmare.

I have decided to go instead with a 20 gallon long tank. I feel like the size and depth will be more manageable for me. So far I haven't got much done except a black spraypainted background. I'm currently fiddling with the plumbing in my bathroom in an effort to get my ro unit making water. I have no idea how old the membranes are.

I haven't entirely decided on the lighting. I have a 2x96 watt compact fluorescent fixture already that I obtained for pretty much nothing. The fixture is 36" and the tank is 30". I imagine I could suspend this fixture if I wanted, or just run one tube instead of both. Suggestions on lighting would be appreciated.

I don't have a suitable skimmer, just a turboflotor 1000 that would take up the whole tank by itself. : ) I am leaning toward running skimmerless. As for water movement, I have some bulky, ugly powerheads but I have no idea what they have been through. I am considering a pair of hydor koralia nanos. Is this enough flow?

I think that I would enjoy a mixture of macros, mushrooms, zoas, and hardy corals. I am still deciding between fishless, or maybe a pair of firefish. Banghai cardinals are nice but I think that they are sort of thick for a tank of this size. Some fish suggestions would be nice. I think that I would like very few fish. Something that doesn't spend all its time on the sand, is somewhat colorful, and has an interesting personality. I have read that firefish are somewhat timid.

Retrofitting the pieces of what I do have to what I have in mind as well as taking my budget into account is sort of frustrating. However, I believe I have the patience and desire to persevere.

Last edited by Musing.Dog; 07/23/2011 at 07:31 PM.
Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2011, 12:49 AM   #2
JTrem94
Registered Member

Hello, the light you have now would work, but you could always get a new fixture that would fit better. Aquatraders.com has 4 bulb T5H0 fixtures for very very cheap. Clown fish are very colorful fish and have a great personality. The koralia nanos would work great but I would recommend the 425gph models. And as far as the skimmer, I would recommend a aquaC remora hang on back skimmer. I picked one up off ebay the other day with a surface skimmer fitting for only $107.

JTrem94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the specification of which powerhead model. I'm not sure why I don't like clowns much; I am starting to rethink them though.

Unread 07/24/2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I am concerned about whether a 192 watt compact fluorescent fixture about 3 in from the surface will be too much light. Is this too much as in I should run only 96 watts, or a bit of light but not burn things to a crisp?

Unread 07/24/2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Clownfish 11790
Registered Member

I would say the light will be good enough. PCs are bright, but I'm not sure if they will burn things to a crisp.

I have a 2x65 W PC over my 20L and it's perfect. I haven't tried SPS, but all the softies were doing really well underneath it when I had it running a couple years ago.

Current Tank Info: Just restarting my 20g L Reef Tank
Clownfish 11790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfish 11790 View Post
I would say the light will be good enough. PCs are bright, but I'm not sure if they will burn things to a crisp.

I have a 2x65 W PC over my 20L and it's perfect. I haven't tried SPS, but all the softies were doing really well underneath it when I had it running a couple years ago.
Thanks, this is very reassuring. I didn't really want to have to hang the light or something.

Unread 07/24/2011, 12:10 PM   #7
NT Nano
Registered Member

If you like fire fish, go for it! I have one in my 12 gal that is very active... He never hides and is always swimming around somewhere. I know there are shy ones too, but since he is the biggest fish in my setup, I guess he doesn't feel the need. I also have a tail spot blenny, who although more subtle in coloration is quite beautiful. The tailspot does perch in the rocks more, but he is also very active and I see him all day long, and does a great job on the algae. My final inhabitant is a neon blue goby... He is tiny but very bright, swims and perches everywhere (including the glass,) and swims to the front begging for food any time he sees me. Probably more info than you wanted, but I love these guys for nano tanks.

NT Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Nano View Post
If you like fire fish, go for it! I have one in my 12 gal that is very active... He never hides and is always swimming around somewhere. I know there are shy ones too, but since he is the biggest fish in my setup, I guess he doesn't feel the need. I also have a tail spot blenny, who although more subtle in coloration is quite beautiful. The tailspot does perch in the rocks more, but he is also very active and I see him all day long, and does a great job on the algae. My final inhabitant is a neon blue goby... He is tiny but very bright, swims and perches everywhere (including the glass,) and swims to the front begging for food any time he sees me. Probably more info than you wanted, but I love these guys for nano tanks.
Definitely not unneeded info. It's hard to get a good idea of personality from photos or even videos. Thanks for telling me about your fish. I like the look of the neon blue gobies as well. The tailspot blennies are quite attractive albeit a little funnily shaped. Another consideration for firefish, I hear they are jumpers. I will have to look into a cover of some sort if I decide to go with them.

Unread 07/24/2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Small Update

The stand is finished today. It's an old iron sewing machine stand that has been modified by my grandfather. It's surprisingly decorative. We decided on it due to already having it on hand, and his welding skills.

Just so that anyone is aware. That door goes to my bathroom, and swings in. It's also not right up against the door jam, the angle makes it look like it though.

Unread 07/24/2011, 06:31 PM   #10
NT Nano
Registered Member

Tank cover idea

[QUOTE=Musing.Dog; I will have to look into a cover of some sort if I decide to go with them.[/QUOTE]

Definitely! I cut one to shape from Home Depot acrylic, with a space in the back for my HOB fuge plumbing, figuring that would be good. I assumed they would just jump if frightened, so unlikely that he would find a hole, but darned if that little bugger didn't cruise the surface until he found one, then aimed and JUMPED! Luckily I saw it and promptly rescued him, but I ended up going to a craft store and buying the plastic mesh people use for yarn work, cut it to fit closely around the pipes, and cemented it over the gap in my cover. No more holes but still breathable, and the flexibility of the mesh makes cover removal easier.

As an aside saw my neon goby cleaning the blenny today...I know they are cleaners, but didn't expect my captive-raised one to do it...very cool! I hear the neons can be jumpers too, although mine never has.

Promise to stop talking about my fish now :-). Best of luck!

NT Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 08:11 PM   #11
dixiedog
Registered Member

Very cool man! Are you going to have sand, or barebottom? I too am a fan of neon gobies (especially in pairs!), and tail spot blennies. I'd suggest looking into royal grammas as well - they're free swimming, colorful, peaceful, non-jumping, non coral eating ... what's not to love?

And if there is a clownfish haters club, I am president of it.

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
Very cool man! Are you going to have sand, or barebottom? I too am a fan of neon gobies (especially in pairs!), and tail spot blennies. I'd suggest looking into royal grammas as well - they're free swimming, colorful, peaceful, non-jumping, non coral eating ... what's not to love?

And if there is a clownfish haters club, I am president of it.
I will have a shallow sand bottom. Royal grammas are quite beautiful. I like the color transitioning I have seen in some photos. I am happy to see there are some people who don't like clownfish.

Unread 08/05/2011, 02:19 PM   #13
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Added rock, sand and water. I'm a little concerned with the salinity. It's sort of a teeter tottering juggle using a an Instant Ocean hydrometer. A 1/2 cup of IO salt per gallon in a bucket is coming out to about 1.019 What should this be coming out to?

The HOB Aquaclear is riding along for the cycle to be used on my quarantine tank, for those who are curious.

Unread 08/05/2011, 04:35 PM   #14
dixiedog
Registered Member

Salinity might be a little low for one cup/gallon. You can cross-check your hydrometer by taking a sample to the LFS (or some other reefer with a properly calibrated refractometer) and see if it's off. If it is, at least you'll know and can make adjustments accordingly.

Unread 08/05/2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by one cup/gallon. I actually mixed up two gallons and added a cup of salt.
Thanks, I plan to take the water to a local store where I am sure I can confirm what the issue is.

Unread 08/05/2011, 07:09 PM   #16
matt_wahoo
Registered Member.

I am in the process of setting up a 20L as well. When I had other tanks with pc lighting on it 2-3'' above the water the lights put off to much heat. For this 20L I am using a T5 4x24 retro kit that is 24" and I am going to stagger the bulbs inside the hood. Also I am thinking of running skimmerless for a little while. My tank is going to have a 10g sump/fuge attached.

matt_wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_wahoo View Post
I am in the process of setting up a 20L as well. When I had other tanks with pc lighting on it 2-3'' above the water the lights put off to much heat. For this 20L I am using a T5 4x24 retro kit that is 24" and I am going to stagger the bulbs inside the hood.
The fixture I will being using has a couple case fans inside of the housing. Did your PC lights have fans or other routes for heat removal? I considered t5s but this fixture is what I have on hand. I may change in the future due to the sheer cost and hassle of PC bulbs.

Unread 08/05/2011, 08:10 PM   #18
dixiedog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post
Not sure what you mean by one cup/gallon. I actually mixed up two gallons and added a cup of salt.
Thanks, I plan to take the water to a local store where I am sure I can confirm what the issue is.
Half cup/gallon, sorry. HALF cup.

Unread 08/05/2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

The water has cleared up considerably; it really wasn't that murky to begin with though. Didn't rinse the sand at all though.

Unread 08/09/2011, 07:29 PM   #20
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Added C. prolifera today. Also saw my first copepods and valonia. : )
Ammonia present, nitrite and nitrate not present - cycle is underway.

Unread 08/10/2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Updates

Sort of figuring out the camera now. I have snail hitchhikers on the C. prolifera. I have only seen two so far though. I am pretty sure they are collonista snails. The smaller one was too far in to get a picture. I am not 100% sure it's the same thing; it looked a little more cone shaped but it's terribly tiny.

I have had this orange growth since I got the rock. I suppose it's either a sponge or coralline. Whatever it is, it's nice. Lots of nice rock life.

And a full tank shot. Sorry about the reflections. I am in there as well as a 10 gal soon to be quarantine tank that sits directly opposite of the main tank. Right now it just has some leftover C. prolifera in it.

Unread 08/10/2011, 12:58 PM   #22
Flame_Angel
Ready For Business

Careful with that prolifera, man. That stuff will take over your tank, house, neighborhood, drain your bank accounts, shave your dog, and bang your wife before you know it.

Unread 08/10/2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I have read pretty much good stuff about prolifera, just nothing terribly good about any other caulerpa. Most posts say it grows at a moderate rate (compared to other caulerpa), sort of slows down in growth when nutrients get low, and stay on the sandbed for the most part. If you have any links to horror stories involving C. prolifera, I'd like to read them. I plan to thin it down drastically after it grows a little. I started with pretty small, partially damaged leaves. Thanks for the suggestion. I might decide to pull it all and go with halophila but I haven't seen many sources for this plant.

Last edited by Musing.Dog; 08/10/2011 at 01:33 PM.
Unread 08/10/2011, 04:12 PM   #24
ZPavDesign
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Angel View Post
Careful with that prolifera, man. That stuff will take over your tank, house, neighborhood, drain your bank accounts, shave your dog, and bang your wife before you know it.
Lmao, but seriously, hes right!

ZPavDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2011, 01:15 PM   #25
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I have thinned out the prolifera some to allow room for growth. Seeing some more pods zooming around. Parameters are coming along nicely: ~0.5 - 1.0 ppm ammonia, seemingly no nitrite but I am sure I just missed it, ~5-10 pmm nitrate. Parameters are estimates because those color cards are hard to read. So far no diatom or cyano bloom but it's early.

Getting a nice crop of fuzzy hair algae, not severe or extensive though. My apologies for the mass of out of focus rock/algae in the foreground.

Have some tiny white stick with a dandelion fuzz like head on them. Perhaps hydroids?

And took a picture of the tank from the right side, through which it is also viewable.

Tags
mixed reef, nano, newbie