Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2018, 05:09 PM   #10726
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda85 View Post
New to the saltwater, excited to learn a lot, and trying to be patient sitting on my hands while my first sw tank cycles.

Great community here, so much knowledge I already could make use of and will in the future.

Special is that I am located in Mexico, it's always an adventure to get stuff down here and not pay 5 times original cost...
Welcome
Maybe you are on the gulf side near the ocean??

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 05:16 PM   #10727
Barracuda85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Welcome
Maybe you are on the gulf side near the ocean??
I am close to Cancun, and about 300 yards from the Caribbean sea...

Barracuda85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 05:21 PM   #10728
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda85 View Post
I am close to Cancun, and about 300 yards from the Caribbean sea...
Great.... there are some reefs close to you, and a supply of rock and water. I would think livestock will be no problem to get.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 07:15 PM   #10729
Barracuda85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Great.... there are some reefs close to you, and a supply of rock and water. I would think livestock will be no problem to get.
Not sure if its a smart way to start a new tank importing all kinds of surprises into it. Will have a look for dry rock and make sure nothing bad gets into the tank. Fish stores there are few, mainly hard over priced, since the hobby is not yet a big community down here....

Barracuda85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 07:27 PM   #10730
Acousticangel
Registered Member

Just joined tonight. I’ve had sw tanks off and on for 20 years. I wanted one so bad back then I took a job at a pet store after I got out of the coast guard, just to learn how to manage a sw tank. There was very little internet sources in 95 lol. Now it’s great to have this forum. I look forward to adding to my knowledge and sharing my experience. I’m not some pro with huge reef tank but I am successful with Fowlr so far. Tried reef once but my clowns bit the blood out of me one to many times. Yeah.. No Joke! Not Funny! Lol I loved finding Nemo and I have most of the cast in my 75 gallon. I plan to upgrade when I move. I have to buy a larger house for a larger aquarium because Dori is still growing. Boy she’s an expensive fish ��. I knew this when I bought her at 1 inch though. She’s about 6-7” now. 6 years old.

Current Tank Info: 2 tanks over 4 years old. My 75 gallon is for Dori and friends. I need to plan my next upgrade soon for she’s still growing. Yes I knew what I was in for when I bought her 6 years ago when she was the size of a quarter. Now she’s about the size of $1
Acousticangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 08:39 PM   #10731
BrittneyKaiser
Registered Member

Hey guys! My name is Brittney and I'm somewhat new to the saltwater hobby. My husband bought me a 30 gallon Innovative Marine for Mother's Day and we're in the process of setting it up, adding livestock! I had a very small (5gallon) sw tank before this (my very first SW tank) that I set up without hubby's help, and to his surprise, it FLOURISHED.

Excited to learn from everyone in this community!

BrittneyKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 09:49 AM   #10732
uclamatthew
Registered Member

New old member. Had a tank back in the day, but had to give it up when I moved overseas. Now back in the states and ready to get started again.

Unread 06/06/2018, 10:55 AM   #10733
Dwright119
Registered Member

New member here! My name is Daniel, and I'm fairly new to fishkeeping in general.

I've had a 10g freshwater setup for about 18 months, and think it's about time to give saltwater a shot.

Just picked up a 37 gallon tank and looking to start cycling this weekend.

Excited to meet and pepper everyone with questions :P

Dwright119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 08:12 PM   #10734
copper64
Registered Member

New Restart

Hi All, I'm Kim. Just restarted my 100 gal tank after a year. Had a devastating tank crash and gave up for a while. So I'm back and dedicated. I'm cycling my 100 gal tank and have attached a Triton 40 gal sump. Pretty cool. I have had my basement remodeled and included a fish room. I have never had such space. I'm excited to get started again. I'm in the process of purchasing a 10 gal tank for a hospital tank. NO MORE CRASHES. Look forward to keeping you posted PICS TO COME

copper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 10:38 PM   #10735
Lopez713
Registered Member

Hello All

Hi everyone,
I have been in and out of site but finally decided to join as a member earlier this afternoon. I am new to the saltwater hobby, so I look forward to learning as much possible from the community.

Lopez713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 01:49 AM   #10736
Mrtang951
Registered Member

I am New on Here

Thank you for the add to Reef Central looking forward to exploring everything on here.

Mrtang951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 06:25 PM   #10737
ReefJak
Registered Member

Had reef tank years ago and now have the time and bug to start again. Equipment and technology so much better now.

ReefJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:41 AM   #10738
Timj
Registered Member

Very new to salt water here!

Hello all. I’m Tim new to the group as of tonight. New to all
Of this. I had a 30 gal freshwater tank when I was younger and have always wanted to have salt water tank. Still very wet behind the ears on all of this. Very green and curios about it. Have not yet bought a tank thinking of building my own and starting with maybe 75 gal or so. I have so many questions. So feel free to offer advice or your opinion and I will sort through and do my best to do what feels best and take as much advice as I can.
Thanks

Timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 03:16 PM   #10739
Conchman
Registered Member

Some may have noticed me wandering around here. Been into saltwater since the 80's. And yes I remember the 80's, well most of it, honestly only some of it. Currently I have an SCA 50 cube, Trigger 20 sump, Ecotech MP10's, (2) and a Gen 4 light. ATO is Tunze, and Reef Octopus for skimmer. Stocking is more softies than not. Couple of black and white clowns (mean one's) and CUC...I will start a move thread as the new floor is requiring me to tear down. The tank just settled down from the move from the Fusion 20. Good news is the facility manager is giving me a little more room...FRAG TANK!!!

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 10:46 AM   #10740
JcccGolf12
Registered Member

Hello all! My name is Layton. Me and my girlfriend have been into the hobby for about a year now and have both skimmed through RC for some insight when needed, but have neither of us have been members up until now. First off I would like to say how helpful this community is, especially to those of us who really don’t know much about the hobby. We started with a JBJ 12 gallon nano that came with live rock and sand, and 2 black and white Ocellaris clowns. After a couple of months we moved to a 16g bowfront with the same clowns, adding a green Acan frag and a blue damsel. We ran that for about 7 months or so and just recently moved everything over into our 90G AOI. I will be posting a thread regarding the AOI in terms of filtration, as I have no idea the make or model of the tank and the filtration area slightly differs from most other marine AOI tanks I have seen at my LFS and online. Thanks to all in advance and I’m very excited to get everything running as efficiently and smooth as possible!

JcccGolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:51 PM   #10741
Epmar
Registered Member

New to rc

Have a reef tank for 8 months now. Loving it

Epmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 09:34 PM   #10742
Fishchronicles
Registered Member

Hi,all! My name is Kristeena! I am from Ocala, Florida and just started my first saltwater tank about a year ago after having freshwater tanks my entire life. I just upgraded to a 60g with a 20g sump. Livestock includes a cleaner shrimp, dwarf lionfish, oscellaris clown, copper banded butterfly, Condy Anemone, yellow tang, emerald crab and a porcelain anemone crab! Of course I have lots of corals, too! I consider myself to still be fairly new to saltwater. I also have an Instagram for all of my fish tanks! It’s a favorite part of the hobby aside from just watching the fishies! My future plans are to start a small frag tank to sell some coral back to my local fish shores! Thanks for letting me share and thanks for welcoming me to such a fantastic forum!

Fishchronicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 09:59 PM   #10743
reeferaz
Registered Member

Hi everyone

I'm brand new to this, decided to try culturing a frag just because of a new interest in coral and ocean science. Arizona might seem an odd place to develop an interest in the ocean, but maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I decided to start VERY small, primarily for reasons of money. I have an 8 gallon tank with an in-tank filter, a strand of red macroalgae for my "refugium" and a single frag with a soft coral growing on it. Things were going fine for a week or two and now, suddenly, a bunch of little critters have showed up, clinging to the glass. They look like dandruff flecks, less than a millimeter in size, and there are hundreds of them! Something must have hatched, I guess. I was able to grab a picture of one of them. Just curious if anyone knows what it is. I'll probably wind up doing a complete teardown and dipping the coral again, or maybe just toss it and try again (although I would hate to do that after finally getting the tank cycled and running.)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get deeper into this hobby... Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S20180618_0053.jpg (11.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg S20180618_0041.jpg (20.0 KB, 9 views)
reeferaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 02:43 PM   #10744
Headhunter
Registered Member

hello all, just joined...my (awesome) neighbor passed his 150G SW tank to me (for free), fish (purple tang, 2 clowns, 3 green chromis) & 2 big colony polyp, orange spot...Had a local guy move & set it up for $400...been running for over 4 weeks now.

I'm totally new to reef tanks, although had FW for 30 yrs (all kinds of Cichlids, Snakeheads, Oscars, and piranhas).

I just crafted a few wish lists for fish & coral.

First order of biz is to design & build my mixing station. I'm not carrying buckets.

Thank you in advance for your patience & advice.

-Tom

Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 07:18 PM   #10745
Firebatm
Registered Member

New to RC and starting a new setup

Hi all,

I’ve been running a 26 bow face as a mixed reef tank for a couple years. Initially I had a tough time chasing water perimeters, but have gotten that under control. No sump or Refugium, just a cascading hang on filter system and a nano protein skimmer. No problem Keeping small soft bodied corals growing but have had a lot of bottom fish killed in recent weeks. No sign of crabs...

I’ve elected to setup a new tank. Aqueon 54 gallon corner setup, pre drilled. It will have an eshopps nano Refugium, eshopps x-120 skimmer and Kessil AP700 LED light assembly. The plan is to start with all new live sand, base with life rock and transfer the large rocks with corals after being dipped. This will be my first Refugium setup, plan to use 3”-4” live sand plus live rock with tisbie pods and some algae.

Having never setup a Refugium before, are there any suggestions or methods you guys can offer to aid in better success?

Firebatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 06:18 PM   #10746
Dinga
Registered Member

New to the group and new 37 gallon marine/reef tank

Hello Reef Central my name is Matt, I have a 37 gallon tall, that I set up last week. I had salt water about 20 years ago with fish only (Tangs, Angels, Bufferflys). I've just got back into it 20 years later, this is the first time I've had live rock. Currently in my 37 I have 2 fiji premium live rock and waiting for the tank to seed so I can start with some clown fish and maybe some corals . Thank you for allowing me into your group I'm looking forward to getting back into a marine aquarium. And yes I've been out of it for so long I can be called a beginner .

Dinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 11:09 AM   #10747
Random reefer
Registered Member

Hello everyone. New to the blog. Have plenty of Q,s. If anyone has the time. Not all that new to the hobby. It I’ve mostly been a softy/Fowlr guy. Starting to move into lps and hopefully sps given some time time. But having trouble getting my lps to grow much at this point. Not sure how I go about posting Q,s if it should be in here or should I go to a certain form or what.

Random reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 02:15 PM   #10748
Mistahman
Registered Member

Hello everyone

I am relatively new to the hobby. I actually joined the site awhile back and have been reading and learning. I have reached out to members privately and gotten answers to questions (dint want to sound retarded in public). I have 2 tanks running currently. 75 gallon lps with a couple of sps and mushrooms. Trigger 30 sump and reef octapus 150 int skimmer. 2 kessil a360’s on goose neck mounts.
100 gallon fowlr, trigger system 36 sump same skimmer and 3 orbit marine 48” lights (1st gen).

Mistahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 09:13 PM   #10749
32blownhemi
Registered Member

Hello Everyone, My name's Bill & 3 months ago for my birthday a friend got me a Crown Tail Beta & a Top Fin 3 1/2 gal tank. Although I did have a tank 40+ years ago (2 Oscars that grew to big for the tank)... I'm retired & live in Ventura California. Oh, I have a '32 Ford with a 392 Hemi in it with a supercharger. That's why the username.... I'm got some questions! Thanks, Bill

32blownhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 11:54 AM   #10750
Skittlz
Registered Member

Hi

I go by skittlz (skittles) but my name is Sean, ive been doing saltwater tanks for about 6 years and still learn new things every day normally in the form of I touched it so it died... my mistakes usually cost me money which makes me very gun shy now a days. i went from a nano, to a 30 gal bio cube to eventually 2x 30 gal bios and a 29 bio as well then jumped into combining all three into a 65 gal w/ a 20 eshopps sump w/ refugium. its great to be on the forum finally, and i will try to follow all the guidelines. If I ever stray from them, it is not intentional. Cheers!

Skittlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral