Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:09 PM   #1
kramfinz
Registered Member

Powerhead placement

Could I please get opinions on my powerhead placement? These are 800gph each in a 46gal bowfront. I feel they may be a bit much? Had them pointed more towards the substrate cause i'm having some GHA issues there. They are blowing out holes so i moved them up slightly. Any ideas would be appreciated!

IMG_1265.jpg

kramfinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 03:42 PM   #2
LeJeune981
Registered Member

In my 90.. I have 2 powerheads on the back wall..opposite sides... 3 inches from the surface.. both pointing front and center of the tank.. and both at a slightly upward angle to agitate the water surface

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 03:53 PM   #3
swhobbie1
Registered Member

I don’t think pointing them to the sand will get rid of GHA. That is too much NO3 and or PO4.

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 04:06 PM   #4
kramfinz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhobbie1 View Post
I don’t think pointing them to the sand will get rid of GHA. That is too much NO3 and or PO4.
I have 0ppm of both. Tank is only a few month old though. Needed more circulation for sure but feel like maybe this is too much.

Unread 06/17/2018, 04:47 PM   #5
squeakymcmurdo
Registered Member

Flow is your friend, but it has to be the right kind. Right now, it looks like you have a whirlpool effect going. The current is only flowing one direction so hair algae is growing with little resistance.

My opinion is to point the powerheads toward each other to create a more varied, turbulent flow, the type of flow common on reefs.

125 gallon waiting outside and functioning as my kids’ swimming pool until my husband helps me lift it onto the stand.
squeakymcmurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Gha in a young tank is natural. It will go away on its own in a few days to a week.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:14 PM   #7
kramfinz
Registered Member

So i just put the power heads in today. i unplugged the one on the right. Turbulence has stopped. I still need to add the CUC. Maybe this will help the situation. Really looking for opinions on the placement of either or both power heads. Is 2x 800gph too much for a 46gal?

Unread 06/17/2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

If your sand isn’t blowing around everywhere, than no it’s not too much...

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

If you put the powerheads on one end near the top, pointing to the opposite end near the top, you will get nice (widespread) flow going the other way along the bottom and along your rock.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:45 PM   #10
kramfinz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
If you put the powerheads on one end near the top, pointing to the opposite end near the top, you will get nice (widespread) flow going the other way along the bottom and along your rock.
I may try that next. Does anyone think 2 800gph is too much for such a small tank?

Unread 06/17/2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Lsufan
Registered Member

I agree with Kevin. U don’t want to pint them down towards the sand. I almost always place mine to where they are slightly pointed upwards. If I have them close to the surface then I will point them straight, but not down. With the narrow tank & not having a controller for the powerheads, I think u will have to place them on the side walls on seperate ends of the tank. Then u can play around with them & place one toward the front corner facing the opposite back corner & the other in the back corner facing the opposite front corner. If I don’t like that u can try placing them toward the back & facing both of them to aim toward the opposite front corner

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote