Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2017, 06:23 PM   #26
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremevans View Post
The tank is looking good! What is the flat shelf on the left? Did you find a rock like that?
Yes it is live rock I have several pieces like that, two on the display and 3 more in the sump that I may use later.
It must be formed from coral skeleton as it has a very porous structure but is flat with waves in it.

When epoxied it forms nice shelves, however they do collect a little detritus.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 01:16 AM   #27
karthik
Registered Member

hi
i just wanted know where to buy EcoTech Marine Radions in bangkok

karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 07:09 AM   #28
adtravels

You can't, I ordered them from sewatec in Germany!

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Unread 08/25/2017, 02:45 AM   #29
adtravels

I have let the tank bubble along, there was a bit of a re-scape to house a magnifica anemone. I have added one or two sps and kept on with some FM products. I just recently got back from 5 weeks away from the tank in which time it did well but growth slowed significantly on the sps. nutrients hit pretty much zero even though i was feeding on a schedule via the apex.
Here are some pics, I wish they were better.
I have ordered a new light from Germany it should be here any day..

Unread 08/30/2017, 06:59 AM   #30
adtravels

I took some Par readings with a seneye, pumps turned on so the readings jumped a little and I took an average.
This is with 3 radion xr15's two gen 3 with a gen 4 in the middle.
all three at 100% intensity on the SPSAB+ setting.

All readings directly under the lights except the bottom middle and bottom right readings which are 2 inches off the front glass and hence lower.
Not bad numbers but the shadowing is the reason I have changed to an ati 4 bulb hybrid from Germany with the new style pucks.

Unread 08/31/2017, 04:08 AM   #31
adtravels

There are the readings for the ATI HYBRID
4 bulb 39 watt unit 2 coral plus 2 blue plus
LED at 70% violet at 72 blues at 255 and white at 125

I turned it down to 60%led intensity after the par tests to get closer to the radion numbers. and then may bump up.

Unread 08/31/2017, 04:12 AM   #32
adtravels

pH went up .05 of a point today, may be coincidence from 8.3 to 8.35 but may be more growth?

Unread 08/31/2017, 06:21 PM   #33
reefmutt
Registered Member

So are you using the LEDs or the t5?
The added light intensity of the t5 may cause the ph increase...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 10:23 PM   #34
adtravels

The new light I have now is the ATI hybrid Powermodule it has t5 and LED.

Unread 09/01/2017, 07:05 AM   #35
reefmutt
Registered Member

come to think of it, don't par meters have an easier (more accurate) time reading fluorescent light?
I've never used a par meter but I think I've read that they read a bit lower for LEDs..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 11/01/2017, 08:50 PM   #36
adtravels

Two months on and there have been some changes in the tank.
I switched from basic 3 part dosing (randy's) to the FM balling salts and had an alk spike as a result, this was not too bad but really came about due to a faulty test kit. The only negative result was a bit of stn on my red robin stag. The alk is now stable at 8dkh.

I had to remove the anemone and clowns and relocate them to my 2 foot cube at work as the nem was huge and the clownfish killed a very expensive flame wrasse, literally dragged it around by the gills. I did not really want to take them out but had to.

Another development was that I added some media to the sump to increase biological filtration it was a ceramic media in a block form that was recommended by by LFS here. Anyway after 1.5 months my nitrates went from near 0 to about 16 which could easily have been the lack of carbon dosing or over feeding but due to the size of the media and its possible negative effects i pulled it.

One consequence of switching to FM salts as opposed to randy's recipe is that the pH of the aquarium has fallen slightly. To counter this I have put in a smallish fuge with Chaeto and caulerpa.

I filled the nem space with two larger sps colonies, in fact the only non frags i have started with. one is a lovely aussie piece and the other a green and yellow millie.

Apart from that I have added a chalice, some shrooms and a zoas to fill in and act as accent corals and growth is now really staring to take off at last.

Bubble algae and brown wafer continues to be a little troublesome but I have had two halloween urchins mowing through it.

The ATI hybrid PM has been a great success and now I have resolved a small issue with the clock resetting during power outages it seems we may be getting somewhere.
lastly I replaced the Tunze 6095's with vortechs and am very impressed with the flow and controllability using the apex.

Pictures to follow

Unread 11/02/2017, 09:54 AM   #37
adtravels

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:13 AM   #38
adtravels

Unread 11/06/2017, 09:23 PM   #39
adtravels

Not much interest for this tank!

Anyway, I have my ati icp results back, very quick considering I sent them to Germany.

slightly low on strontium 5.79
down on Iodine 25ppb and Potassium 380ppm so will supplement the reccomended doses.
Phosphorus and phospate also low 0.01!
Nitrate at 7

alk 7.69
calc 443
mag 1450

I have had some sporadic base recession (very minor) which could the lack of iodine?

Unread 11/09/2017, 01:43 PM   #40
reefmutt
Registered Member

The base recession could be due to any of the low numbers.. also maybe shading? Or maybe nutrition..
See what happens when you get sr, I, k up.. and maybe some reefroids for the coral nutrition?
Or maybe another fish in there..

Unread 11/09/2017, 05:16 PM   #41
adtravels

More fish yay!
My wrasse are angry men though.
Current fish are
Green mandarin
Flame hawk
Convict tang
Kole tang
Exquisite wrasse
Rubrisquamis wrasse
Mystery wrasse

Any suggestions? thanks

Last edited by adtravels; 11/09/2017 at 09:17 PM.
Unread 11/10/2017, 12:03 PM   #42
reefmutt
Registered Member

Genicanthus angel or a pair perhaps?
Pair of clowns?

Unread 11/12/2017, 05:35 AM   #43
adtravels

i decided on some pJ cardinals, cheap and in qt now.
I also got a nice appleberry branching montipora.

Unread 11/13/2017, 11:05 PM   #44
reefinder
Registered Member

Nice start, I think I would get my levels straight and then sit back and watch my corals grow.

Unread 11/22/2017, 08:53 AM   #45
dukeap
Registered Member

Nice, tank. How do you like the seneye? Am thinking of getting one just to do par reading.

dukeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 05:07 AM   #46
adtravels

Good, but I have no other experience with par meters.

Unread 01/12/2018, 09:35 PM   #47
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Looking good.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 01:23 AM   #48
adtravels