Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Overboard
Premium Member

Teardrops Ever Again?

When was the last time you saw a real Teardrop clam offered for sale, online or locally? Especially the colorful Teardrops. A while back, there was a thread on clams from Tonga and it contained a nice Teardrop, but it seems like a long time, at least for me.

In the old days (2001) I would see the really, really nice Teardrops occasionally, but they were never plentiful. I recall hearing they were imported from Tonga or Vietnam.

Gold Teardrops were around for a while, but I have not seen even them for a while.

With the success of the aquaculturing of clams, it would be great if some broodstock was still out there for one of the farms to work with. Sure hope so! We see cultured blue Squamies now, so maybe we will be surprised one day!

Unread 06/06/2017, 12:08 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Just a few a year. Local store had a blue teardrop in stock for nearly $1000.

I gave up on blue squammys a while back too and they seem to be quite abundant anymore. There is always hope.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2017, 08:40 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Apparently the god tear drops from the South East Asia area do not interbreed with other Maxima. Likely these will be ID s a separate species in the future.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

https://************.com/2014/11/17/...p-maxima-clam/

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Overboard
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Diesing View Post
Cannot seem to open the link.

Thanks,
Mark

Unread 07/03/2017, 06:37 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I imported several dozen of these teardrop clams back in the early 2000. See that they are differences between these clams and T. maxima. Also I have read several years back that they do not cross breed with Maxima.
Now they have been accepted as a distinct species, Tridacna noae, by scientists.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Overboard
Premium Member

I believe you are right. I saw Jim Fatherree's talk at MACNA last year and he discussed the classifications of Maximas, Teardrops, and the Ningaloo clams from West Australia. Very interesting. I think the Ningaloos and Teardrops may be considered the same species now, if I recall correctly.

Regardless, I would love to get and honest to goodness colored teardrop, and even a Ningaloo. Maybe they will show back up one of these days.

Thanks,
Mark