Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Tom39
Registered Member

Mp40qd wetside issues

Came home to a noise coming from 1 of my mp40qd's. What I found when I pulled the wetside was that the magnet shell had cracked, saltwater had infiltrated the shell, the magnet started to rust as I can see rust seeping from the crack and I am assuming that the rusting of the magnet swelled the shell as the shell is no longer flat. All of this resulted in severe vibrations which disconnected the dry side from the glass and caused it to keep bumping the glass and cause the noise I was hearing.
Into my supplies I go and retrieve a my new replacement wetside. Thinking that I am prepared and I should be good. But to my surprise the new wetside is noisy. Come to find that the base to my new wetside is faulty and I end up having to use my old wetside base to get back up and running.
The shame in all of this is that this pump has not even been running for a year.

Thought I would share,
Tom G

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

It wold be wise to contact Ecotech and make them aware of it. if it's still under warranty, they will take care of you.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
It wold be wise to contact Ecotech and make them aware of it. if it's still under warranty, they will take care of you.
Definitely not a warranty claim even though the time in service is less than a year. When I was planning my build I purchased 4 MP40QD pumps, 2 at a time about a year apart. This helped me spread the cost out and actually pay for them instead of putting them on a card and going in debt for a hobby. I only have 2 pumps running at a time and still have 2 in storage that have never been opened and may remain that way for quite some time. I actually did this for all of my equipment and is the reason that it took me 3yrs before I put a drop of water in my tank.
Anyway, because of the time between purchase and use is so great, I see no reason to involve EcoTech and waste their time and mine. The reality is that I know that I'm not going to get warranty on my original wetside or the new replacement wetside that makes noise right out of the box and had to be Frankensteined before I could use it.
At this point, my post is merely to share with others an issue I have had and help make others aware that they may have the same issue and just have not realized it yet.

Unread 05/10/2018, 08:19 PM   #4
tgbaby1
Premium Member

Had a similar issue last month. My wetside was about 3yrs old and ETM still replaced it. Would be worth reaching out to them.

tgbaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 05:16 AM   #5
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbaby1 View Post
Had a similar issue last month. My wetside was about 3yrs old and ETM still replaced it. Would be worth reaching out to them.
Wow! Would never had thought that that would even be a remote possibility.

Thank you for sharing,
Tom G

Unread 05/14/2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Tom39
Registered Member

tgbaby1 and sisterlinonpot,

You all were right! I contacted ETM and relayed my issues. 2 correspondences later and they are going to replace the wetside under warranty. Absolutely amazing!

Thank you for your help,
Tom G