2 x MP40 [Schedule Attached]
Temperature: 77
pH: 8.0-8.3
MG: 1380
CA: 445
ALK: 9.4
Nitrate: <1PPM
Phosphate: 0PPM per Hanna

Running carbon reactor and I dose 5ML of NO-PO-X daily. Started dosing NO-PO-X a few days ago, problem(s) started prior to that. Triton test results prior to NO-PO-X as well. I was running GFO but stopped because I was going through too much of it to control algae.

Numbers above always consistent. Compared with Triton, close enough. Was in the green with Triton on nearly everything except:

1. Your Lithium levels are too high.
2. Your Chromium levels are dangerously high.

^ Not dosing trace elements, no metal in tank/sump, don't think my salt is contaminated. Using Red Sea Coral Salt Pro purchased from BRS.

-

I have about six hammers in my tank, two identical torches, and about five frogspawns.

One of my hammer colonies kept getting smaller and smaller over the past month until it eventually died about two days ago. I moved it around to locations near my hammers that look great, but no luck.

My two torches looked great but yesterday one of them kept getting smaller and smaller throughout the day, as of this morning it looks completely dead. Picture attached of both of them as of about 3-weeks ago.

My frogspawn colonies from my local shop look great. My frogspawn frags from WWC looked great for months; still alive, but have not opened up like they used too or like my other frogspawns in about 3-weeks. Based on the behavior of my hammer that dead, these seem to be following the same path.

Any idea what can be causing this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RADION_SCHEDULE.jpg (17.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TORCH.jpg (45.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg VORTECH_SCHEDULE.jpg (16.3 KB, 29 views)
Reefer Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 07:17 AM   #2
rvareef
In Memoriam

post a full tank shot, how old is the tank? the 2 torches pictures are tough, id stop using gfo/nopox and just stick to water changes

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 08:30 AM   #3
Reefer Frank
Registered Member

I'll post a shot in a bit when the lights come on.

Tank has been running since the first of August, I used the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit to cycle the tank, which I think was a mistake. I've had nothing but trouble with this tank, which I've never had with older tanks.

Nonetheless, I put in about 100-pounds of BRS' dry rock without curing it, which was another mistake. Dealing with algae since day one. Slowly removed a lot of the rock and replaced with MarinePure.

My second torch was fine about 2-hours ago when I posted, now suddenly it looks like the other one that died. Nearly completely receded and likely will die within a few hours.

GFO has been offline for a while, hammer issue is prior to NO-PO-X but torch issue(s) is post NO-PO-X.

There are normally signs of too much NO-PO-X, no? From what I've read, I am not experiencing any of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvareef View Post
post a full tank shot, how old is the tank? the 2 torches pictures are tough, id stop using gfo/nopox and just stick to water changes

Unread 03/03/2018, 10:54 AM   #4
anthonys51
Registered Member.

With dry rock you will always have a algae issue even with no nutrients in your water. Put a cup of rodi on the window still and algae will grow in it. It’s completely normal in a new tank especially with dry rock . Some say rock leaching it might a little who knows but I will tell you I think it might be more than just leaching. One example I give is I added a new frag tank to my 5 tank system. Algae cover all the glass in one day. But all my other tanks didn’t grow a drop on the glass in that time. Think it has a lot to do with the slime or whatever you call it on aged live rock and glass and we’ll as all the other live that you can’t see with naked eye. Now back to your torch and hammer question. I find these lps do like a little flow to keep them clear of detritus and to bring new nutrients to them. They low to be gently rocked back and forth. I have about 50 of them currently and noticed they do best in back and forth flow just a enough to rock them gentle Also when mind do retract I gentle blow with a Baster to get excess detritus out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Reefer Frank
Registered Member

After I posted yesterday I lowered my Radions down to 30% and my second torch that was on its way out went back to normal. My frogspawns opened a bit more than usual but nothing substantial.

I have to play with my MP40s a bit. No matter what flow pattern settings I use in EcoSmartLive the pumps always do the same thing. I likely have to reset them or something and re-program them.

I pulled about 80 of 100-pounds of rock out of my tank and I'm curing it now. I slowly removed it over the course of a few months and replaced it with MarinePure. Never had any ammonia spike or anything so that worked out.

Even though I always test zero for phosphates when I pulled some rock out I put it in a bucket with RODI and I had phosphates present in that water test the day after.

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
With dry rock you will always have a algae issue even with no nutrients in your water. Put a cup of rodi on the window still and algae will grow in it. It’s completely normal in a new tank especially with dry rock . Some say rock leaching it might a little who knows but I will tell you I think it might be more than just leaching. One example I give is I added a new frag tank to my 5 tank system. Algae cover all the glass in one day. But all my other tanks didn’t grow a drop on the glass in that time. Think it has a lot to do with the slime or whatever you call it on aged live rock and glass and we’ll as all the other live that you can’t see with naked eye. Now back to your torch and hammer question. I find these lps do like a little flow to keep them clear of detritus and to bring new nutrients to them. They low to be gently rocked back and forth. I have about 50 of them currently and noticed they do best in back and forth flow just a enough to rock them gentle Also when mind do retract I gentle blow with a Baster to get excess detritus out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro